migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ONC medications

+5
theresae
LG
alli
Olee
Peter_sky
9 posters

Go down

ONC medications Empty ONC medications

Post  Peter_sky Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:33 am

Hi,
The only over the counter med I have found effective is solpadeine plus, but it contains a small amount of codeine and my GP says this should not be used with migraines as it is addictive, do others use this with good results and is it really as bad as my GP says it is,
Peter
Peter_sky
Peter_sky

Back to top Go down

ONC medications Empty Re: ONC medications

Post  Olee Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:24 am

I had to look that one up and then realized it's sold in the UK. I didn't think the FDA would allow anything on our shelves that contained codeine.
Olee
Olee

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter_sky Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:00 am

Hi, it is funny you say that, I see that they are now being restricted in the UK, but they are very good for a bad migraine and if you don,t take them for more than a few days I don't think they are adictive. I used them for an binfected toot and took them for two weeks without a problem,

Peter
Peter_sky
Peter_sky

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:36 pm

They always say that about anything that contains codeine. If you are going to abuse it then you have a problem. If you are going to be responsible about how you use it, then you should have no problem.

You just want to use narcotics sparingly and as needed, not in a fearful manner... like taking it at every hint of what might be a migraine rather than as a pain reliever when you do get one. Just be thoughtful about how you use any narcotics.

Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:58 pm

I get a codeine barbituate compound prescription every month for my migraines because it is the only thing that works for the pain. I may get dependent (not addicted) on these pills after a while but I see it as a welcome alternative to being in pain all the time. I am very careful with them though and try to avoid dependency at all costs IE: I take medication breaks and go 2-5 days without meds, however if my topamax (preventative) stopped working and I was getting severe migraines every day like I was I wouldn't hesitate to take the pills every day. I am by no means encouraging you to take the codeine medication, in fact I don't even know what med that is, I'm in the states. My neurologist knows this about me though and also gives me enough pills to do so if need be. I wouldn't advocate lying to your doc, but if you find this to work you may want to look for a doctor who will be willing to manage your pain.

Hope this helps.
LG
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter_sky Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:52 am

Thank you for your reply. To be honest I have taken solphediene plus for over ten years without a problem, I only take them if I have to for a full blown 'M' I remember someone posted that when they visited the UK they stocked up as they found they where the only meds that helped there 'M' and you could not get them in the USA.

Another OTC med I find helps is Movelat, it is sold as a cream for common arthritic problems, but if you feel a 'M' coming on massage a bit into the back of your neck, it seems to relax the neck muscles and if you are lucky stop a 'M' attack before it gets hold.

Peter
Peter_sky
Peter_sky

Back to top Go down

Post  theresae Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:52 am

hi i watched a programme a few years back on the growing number of people addicted to otc meds, and solphediene came out as the number one otc med that people were addicted to,because of the codine, it was horrible to watch one poor womens struggle to reduce her daily dosage, they said that anything thing with a combi of drugs in it was more likely to become addictive for the user than single drugs, i dont take anything with codine in it as it irrates my stomach,
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:30 am

I've been doing quite a bit of research on addiction and chronic pain management. The addiction rates are actually quite low when used for chronic pain. My understanding of the goal of good pain management is not to bring the pain down to a 0, but bring it down to a 2/3 so it is tolerable.

I have been aware for several months that my body has become dependent on vico, when I don't take it I have terrible stomach cramping, BUT, even though I have taken narcotics for years, I have never had a craving for it.

I don't like being without it because I don't like dealing with the increased pain, but I have never had a "I HAVE GOT TO GET MY HANDS ON SOME" feeling.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:58 am

My opinion on narcotics is, I would think, that it would be better to become addicted to them if they were working for the pain than being in pain all the time. How could pain be better? I'm not addicted to anything though so I'm not writing first hand, but it makes sense to me. I do take Vicodin which is supposedly addicting and have no problem with it.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:32 am

As far as I know codeine is in many syrups for cough (even for kids)....
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:43 am

Ivy - not in the US. They took it out years ago because of addiction.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  moominamy Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:28 am

I find codeine one of the only things that helps my pain too. My GP prescribes 30mg tablets as paracetamol does nothing for me so there is no point taking that component. I use it very sparingly as I find if I take it too frequently the effectiveness wears right off. So on average I probably only take it 1-2 times a month. Although I haven't taken anything (abortive or preventative) since before I got pregnant and somehow am coping.

Amy

moominamy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:27 am

Estree004,
glad to hear that it's no allowed in the US.
I tried it only once, in a syrup for cough, and it gave me horrible symptoms. Never again! When I have cough, I take lots of hot tea & honey. Or I cough till I get purple in my face, but NO codeine again....What a horrible experience....
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down