migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Urine Test

+4
tecky
mxgo
LG
lesherb
8 posters

Go down

Urine Test Empty Urine Test

Post  lesherb Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:42 pm

I am in receipt of a bill for my urine test (done about once per year at my neurologist's office). Sadly, I haven't met my $300 deductible so in addition to the $38 I would normally have to pay, I have to pay $300.

I decided I'd take a look at the CPT codes to see what I am being tested for. The reason for the test is to keep an eye on me as my doctor has me on prescription pain medication. I understand that. What really gets me is I am not only being tested for opiates, I am being tested for Phencyclidine (Angel Dust), Benzos, Amphetamines, Barbiturates, Methadone, and something called Meprobamate (aka Milltown, some 'old timey' tranquilizer).

I was happy to find that at least my kidneys were being tested along with my body fluid acidity. Diamox, the diuretic I take for IIH, can throw a person's PH off kilter.

Is anyone else subjected to occasional urine tests because of a pain contract? Is my list common for what doctors screen? Intellectually, I understand why. Emotionally, my feelings are hurt.

£eslie
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Urine Test Empty Re: Urine Test

Post  Guest Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:04 pm

i think everyone can safely assume that any time they go to the ER they are put through a battery of drug, alcohol, and other stuff (especially if you are going to have some type of a procedure that could require blood).

however, the doctor should advise you of having a drug test being done. maybe that's worded very carefully in a pain contract.

sorry to hear. i'll never sign a pain contract. if the doc doesn't accept my word, then the heck with them.

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:11 pm

I've never had a blood or urine test at the ER when I've been there for migraine. Perhaps it takes too long to get the results? I never thought about that.

Peeing in a cup is small payment for hours of pain relief, in my book. ;-)
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:16 pm

Wow. What an unusual drug screening for a patient that you would hope not to do street drugs. Angel dust, I mean really? I mean I guess I can understand barbituates..Fioricet is in that category so that is right where I fall. Other drugs I can see as well except the old timer one you mention.

What I don't get is if you are testing for angel dust, why not test for cannabis, cocaine, LSD(although you'd pop positive if you take DHE or Migranal..anything with ergotamine), MDMA ect. If your not going to trust someone, why test them for the one of the least commonly abused drugs there is? It is very confusing and I'd think about that, maybe even question it. Question
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:16 pm

Urine testing may also include a test for protein in your urine, to see how your kidneys are functioning. Too much protein or blood, could be kidney cancer. So the urine test is a good thing.
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:20 pm

Yes, there is a code on my bill for kidney functioning, too.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:06 pm

While I was hospitalized last April in Chicago, they did urine drug testing upon my admission. They at no time told me it was being done. I didn't find out until I asked for and received a copy of my medical records. I think they should tell you at some point what they're doing.

Becky flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:47 pm

What's really disheartening is that the cumulative cost of these tests is over $800. After they applied the discount they've negotiated with my insurance provider, the total iss $339. If my deductible had already been met, my obligation would have been only $39.

What if I didn't have insurance?

That's silly of me. If I didn't have insurance I wouldn't be seeing this doctor nor would I have access to migraine abortives or pain medications. I'd be either in agony or dead. There's no way I could live with the constant 24/7 pain I'd be in if I didn't have access to medical intervention.

Do you suppose my medical insurance is the cause of my migraine situation? If not, maybe it's just a migraine trigger?

No

£eslie
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:02 pm

[quote="lesherb"]Do you suppose my medical insurance is the cause of my migraine situation? If not, maybe it's just a migraine trigger?
quote]

You might have something there, Leslie. It's a whole different way of thinking about it. The costs certainly cause enough stress to trigger migraines.

Becky flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:07 pm

most u-tox screens here include sedatives, depressants, stimulants and hallucinogens. So your screen would be normal for a drug screen here in BC Canada.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:18 pm

Thanks Milo. I had never paid any attention to what they were screening for as I have never had a bill for it before. (the doctor's office used to charge $60 for the test at POS and this is the first time I was charged $20 POS and then received a bill in the mail).

I've been a patient of this man for 6½ years. I have been on this medication regimen for at least 4 of those years. I have never had an issue with the results of the urine tests in the past so I guess I felt distrusted when I saw all that I was being tested for.

I can understand the variety of drugs tested if this was done for employment purposes. I was under the incorrect assumption that my doctor was just checking to make sure I was taking my prescribed meds as directed, and not over dosing or not taking them & possibly selling them.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:06 pm

Wow Milo, thanks for the info. Clears it right up. I was puzzled as to why AD was in there.
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  Stillhurtin Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:13 pm

I look at it as much more of a CMA (cover my ass) on behalf of the doctors, than a judgement of any particualr patient. If they are giving adictive drugs they need to be careful not to get caught up by someone with bad intentions and potentially lose their license.
Stillhurtin
Stillhurtin

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:25 am

[quote="lesherb"]I have never had an issue with the results of the urine tests in the past so I guess I felt distrusted when I saw all that I was being tested for.[quote]

Leslie, this is exactly what I felt when I saw they did the drug analysis urine tests--distrust. If they would have asked me, I could have told them. They could have at least told me up front what tests they were doing. I guess there are too many who aren't truthful about what they're taking, and the doctors need to protect against possible malpractice and severe drug interactions.

Becky flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Con Edison Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:09 am

tecky wrote:... and the doctors need to protect against possible malpractice and severe drug interactions.

Nah, it's political: the War on Drugs. Doctors have a lot of money, and the law allows nearly everything connected with a drug crime to be confiscated. Office, office equipment, home, cars, retirement accounts, you name it. And the confiscated property is given to the people who confiscated it. So doctors test everything and terminate patients who turn up anything unusual. That way they have a stack of documentation proving there was nothing more they could have done, and a list of terminated patients to prove how tough they are.

Lesson to patients: get permission for everything, do everything exactly on schedule, do nothing to draw attention.

Con Edison

Back to top Go down

Post  Stillhurtin Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:24 am

Con Edison wrote:
tecky wrote:... and the doctors need to protect against possible malpractice and severe drug interactions.

Nah, it's political: the War on Drugs. Doctors have a lot of money, and the law allows nearly everything connected with a drug crime to be confiscated. Office, office equipment, home, cars, retirement accounts, you name it. And the confiscated property is given to the people who confiscated it. So doctors test everything and terminate patients who turn up anything unusual. That way they have a stack of documentation proving there was nothing more they could have done, and a list of terminated patients to prove how tough they are.

Lesson to patients: get permission for everything, do everything exactly on schedule, do nothing to draw attention.

mmmmmmmmmm....Good angle.
Stillhurtin
Stillhurtin

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:58 pm

lesherb wrote:What if I didn't have insurance?

That's silly of me. If I didn't have insurance I wouldn't be seeing this doctor nor would I have access to migraine abortives or pain medications. I'd be either in agony or dead. There's no way I could live with the constant 24/7 pain I'd be in if I didn't have access to medical intervention.

Do you suppose my medical insurance is the cause of my migraine situation? If not, maybe it's just a migraine trigger?

Leslie, that's exactly the situation I am in, and probably quite a few others on the board. My migraines didn't go away when I lost my job and and my health insurance Sad
Topomax, even generic, for a month out of pocket, costs almost $400. 30 100mg pills.
Generic imitrex: $180, 9 100mg pills.
generic stadol: $30, 1 vial.

These costs are for a one-month script. I would go through alot more than 9 pills of imitrex, and 1 vial of stadol, if I had the money. Hence the excessive use of advil and coffee instead. I also get tramadol from a relative who has a script she doesn't use all of herself, which helps. Other times I just suffer through the migraine; if its lower than a "level 4" I don't anything stronger than advil or tramadol, and hope it doesn't get worse. I can't afford to waste the triptan.
Can you imagine paying over $600 a month just for meds? Add in the cost of paying out of pocket to see the nuero! It's $120 for an office visit, btw.
I have rescheduled my nuero appt. twice in the past 2 months, I can't afford to get in to see him. He won't authorize any more refills until I do, either, so I'm kind of up the creek now, but what can I do? Health insurance is still more expensive than paying out of pocket when you're unemployed and have no income.

Yes, the situation causes enough stress that it's definitely a migraine trigger. Yes, I'm often in agony when I shouldn't have to be. And, sadly, yes, you do learn to live with it. You learn to live with alot more than you think when you have no choice. If your access to medical coverage is taken away, you have no choice but to deal with it and compromise as best you can.

On the bright side, I've learned that I have strength in me to cope that I never thought I had. That's got to count for something, right?

Off topic, aren't I? LOL Sorry. Very Happy I saw how much your urine tests cost and thought, "holy s@#! I would never be able to see that dr. if I had to pay for those tests out of pocket." That's crazy. I don't blame you for being unhappy about that.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:28 pm

AuntieBubbs,

I am so sorry you are in this predicament. My husband will be retiring soon and that will leave me without health insurance, too. (I went through the entire SS disability process and was denied). So I will be in your shoes in a year or two.

I am upset about folks being against healthcare reform. I understand it is not perfect (far from it) but if we just get it passed into law, it can be worked on and improved. If it is not passed, then things will only get worse.

That's enough from me on that volatile topic. I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest here as I know we all have different opinions on things.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down