migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Facial numbness

+2
Jewishmother
Anna
6 posters

Go down

Facial numbness Empty Facial numbness

Post  Anna Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:43 am

Hi,
Wondering if anyone else gets facial numbness along with migraine? My cheeks (bilaterally) become numb with many of my migraines, though it wears off before the migraine itself does (and the migraine pain is unilateral, though sometimes it moves around during the same episode). The migraine lasts hours to days, while the numbness lasts only a couple of hours or so. Does this mean I may have a different kind of migraine, or is this common?

I never thought much about it, but I've noticed that a few people on this board have mentioned numbness and have been diagnosed with complicated migraine. But I always thought I had just plain old migraine. I've never been told otherwise by any doctor, but I'm not sure that I've ever mentioned this symptom either. I guess I just assumed it was part and parcel of the whole deal.
Anna
Anna

Back to top Go down

Facial numbness Empty Re: Facial numbness

Post  Jewishmother Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:44 am

I get numbness on the left side of my mouth, my tongue and down my throat.......guess I see it as one of my aura symptoms - I have been diagnosed with complicated or basilar migraines.......depends on which doc I am talking to! Do you get any other aura symptoms? Leslie
Jewishmother
Jewishmother

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:46 am

It's most likely a form of aura. My daughter's face goes numb before she has an attack. It is one of her aura signals that pain is on the way.

Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:47 am

I get numbness in my cheek, usually on the side of the migraine (generally my right side, but sometimes it likes to change it up).

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  lizholmesod Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:14 am

I get this every time, whole face numbness/pins & needles - also down my arms and hands. Very occasionally legs too. It's part of the prodrome along with aura (which is visual symptoms) and aphasia etc. Terrifying but in the context of migraine, all par for the course for some! Bah humbug! Evil or Very Mad

lizholmesod

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:48 pm

Thanks for the comments. I guess it is just a "bit" of aura and I won't worry about it. This is, after all, a neurological disorder, so it shouldn't surprise me to have other neurological symptoms. It can be scary, but not as scary as the amount of pain migraines can cause. I'll mention it to the neuro at my next appointment, but honestly, I doubt he'll know as much as many of us do here. . .

Anna
Anna
Anna

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:57 am

I get something similar, it's a weird sensation at the bottom of my nose, close to the lips. I don't know how to describe it, but - yes - numbness is probably the word that fits best.
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down