migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting article - "Does migraine kill?"

+5
pen
xmom
charmed quark
Paradox
estre004
9 posters

Go down

Interesting article - "Does migraine kill?" Empty Interesting article - "Does migraine kill?"

Post  estre004 Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:52 am

I thought this was a pretty good article providing information without causing panic. I think overall migraine should be considered a somewhat dangerous disease and not "just a headache".

estre004

Back to top Go down

Interesting article - "Does migraine kill?" Empty Re: Interesting article - "Does migraine kill?"

Post  Paradox Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:54 am

Hi Estree,

I'm not seeing the link for the article. Can you post it? I may just be blind, not having a good day.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Interesting article - "Does migraine kill?" Empty Here's Teri Robert's article on whether migraines can kill

Post  charmed quark Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:00 am

http://www.healthcentral.com/migraine/related-conditions-466113-5.html

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

Interesting article - "Does migraine kill?" Empty Re: Interesting article - "Does migraine kill?"

Post  estre004 Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:08 am

You aren't blind Charlotte Very Happy . Thanks Charmed Quark.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  xmom Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:02 pm

I think it's unclear whether migraine increases cardiovascular risks or whether simply having cardiovascular problems puts you at greater risk of having migraines. Only saying this because I know my dad never had migraines until he started having heart problems. But regardless, the risk still isn't that much higher than normal.

xmom

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:51 pm

From the Migraine association here in UK they advise us to reduce our risk in other ways if we can.
Like not smoking and drinking lowering cholesterol etc.
And get checked out once in a while.,
They havent made too much of the possible risk pretty much like Teri's article.

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:34 pm

Interesting, wonder if they accounted for variables like the increase of asprin and other drugs that people with migraines consume? imho physical fitness and a healthy life style is really important for people with migraines...if for no other reason than to combat the associated stress. I've also heard somewhere that migraines may increase the risk of alzheimer's disease. Thanks for posting the article.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:29 am

Are we more prone to cardiovascular problems due to migraine itself or because we take so many drugs that affect the heart (triptans, ergots)?
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:28 am

Interesting comments. I'm sure the drugs we take do not help the situation.

Headstorm - Topamax caused Alzheimer's instantly for me. Fortunately, it was reversed when I quit.

On the plus side, some of the drugs we take for the migraines actually help other symptoms "if they exist", for instance, meds for high blood pressure.

However, my instincts tell me the migraines themselves are the culprit and are dangerous and any drugs we take to minimize them are for our benefit. I'm basing this on the pain itself. That level of pain in my opinion cannot be a healthy thing.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:34 am

It's something I've been thinking about more and more. I've always had low blood pressure. Lately it's been high and three different health professionals have told me not to worry about it, it's the chronic pain. That once we get the pain under control the BP will lower.

So, how much of the health issues are a cause and effect of chronic pain.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  TeriRobert Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:49 pm

I've read the journal articles on all the studies and talked with the researchers. The data makes it pretty clear that having Migraine disease increases risk of cardiovascular disease and cardiovascular events such as stroke and heart attack.

Teri

xmom wrote:I think it's unclear whether migraine increases cardiovascular risks or whether simply having cardiovascular problems puts you at greater risk of having migraines. Only saying this because I know my dad never had migraines until he started having heart problems. But regardless, the risk still isn't that much higher than normal.

TeriRobert

http://www.HelpForHeadaches.com, www.MyMigraineConnection.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TeriRobert Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:50 pm

Yes, they did.

Headstorm wrote:Interesting, wonder if they accounted for variables like the increase of asprin and other drugs that people with migraines consume? imho physical fitness and a healthy life style is really important for people with migraines...if for no other reason than to combat the associated stress. I've also heard somewhere that migraines may increase the risk of alzheimer's disease. Thanks for posting the article.

TeriRobert

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:08 am

THANK YOU Terri Roberts. My thoughts on migraines were based more on instinct and common sense than on medical knowledge. Not that I wanted to be right for heavens sake. I just KNEW in my gut that the migraines are dangerous but kept hearing that they were harmless.

I don't think we have to be alarmed. We just have to make a better effort at living a healthy lifestyle and do our best to control the migraines!

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  TeriRobert Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:22 am

You're very welcome.

You're quite right. All of this research isn't any reason to panic. It should motivate us to discuss our risk factors with our doctors and work to reduce our modifiable risk factors.

estre004 wrote:THANK YOU Terri Roberts. My thoughts on migraines were based more on instinct and common sense than on medical knowledge. Not that I wanted to be right for heavens sake. I just KNEW in my gut that the migraines are dangerous but kept hearing that they were harmless.

I don't think we have to be alarmed. We just have to make a better effort at living a healthy lifestyle and do our best to control the migraines!

TeriRobert

Back to top Go down

Interesting article - "Does migraine kill?" Empty heart health

Post  crt Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:50 pm

I agree with Teri. It's probably a good idea to live a heart healthy lifestyle even if you don't have risk factors. To borrow from and paraphrase the Serenity Prayer, change the things you can, like smoking, and don't worry about the rest (genetics).

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:01 pm

Ditto Chris. Some times it can even work in your favor. My dad was diagnosed with type II diabetes in his late 50's. He changed his whole lifestyle and is doing well at 92. He is probably in better health than if he wouldn't have had that diagnosis.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:04 pm

Some days I wish I would die.

Angela
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down