migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fascinating Symptom - Complicated Migraine Journey

+2
HeelerLady
Richard
6 posters

Go down

Fascinating Symptom - Complicated Migraine Journey Empty Fascinating Symptom - Complicated Migraine Journey

Post  Richard Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:08 pm

Howdy All,

I have had this before - but not since Steve died 2 years ago. I was lying in my bed, reading a magazine. Then, below my neck, my body became paralyzed. It was as if my body had gone to sleep. I was immediately in a serious migraine episode in my head (pain, confussion, inability to speak clearly). It took me some time to be able to call out to Otis, my roommate. Finally I was able to make a sound loud enough for him to come see what all the noise was about. I was able to convey the situation and asked him to retrieve a neurological wheel I have - that thing with pin pricks on a wheel that you run over skin to see if it is numb or not. Otis has become fluent in migraine speech - is that an official language yet? (grin)

He ran it over my arm and shoulder. I could feel it - but I was unable to move. Very disconcerting.

After about five minutes of commotion (see below) my right leg started moving. I was able to turn my foot around in a circle and I did it as hard as I was able as long as possible. That motion woke up the rest of my body. I estimate total time from loss of bodily movement to full recovery of movement to over half an hour. Of course as soon as I could move, my headache intensified. I tried to sleep, but woke up often with sheet soaking night sweats. A real first for me.

Interesting, eh?

Side Bar: My llaso apso Molly has been mine since she was a wee puppy. She sees it as her job to be my primary nurse. She is the dog, well - actually, the one in this world - who will always stay with me throughout any migraine episode. She is never happy unless she is right at my side - this often means on the bed with me.

Last night when Otis came to help me, Molly would have none of it. She snarled as he reached to touch me and began her "snarl talk" It is as though she is trying to talk and snarl at the same time. But Molly sensed that something was bad wrong with me and she did not trust anyone to come anywhere near. I tried to console her - but with my speech messed up, it did not work. Otis finally got her off the bed with the promise of doggie treat in his hand. Food comes even before me to Molly! LOL

I think it was her reaction to Otis, her sensing that things were bad off, that caused me major anxiety over my situation.

BTW - this ONLY happens when I am resting and lying down ... never when I am active or sitting up. So I do not worry unduly about driving on those few occasion when I feel I am not a danger to others on the road if I get behind the wheel.

Thanks for reading.
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Fascinating Symptom - Complicated Migraine Journey Empty Re: Fascinating Symptom - Complicated Migraine Journey

Post  HeelerLady Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:34 pm

Oh My....first thought - glad you are okay and it passed. Second - perhaps we should start a post of M symptoms - including the oddballs, occasional and downright strange. Cut down on the " does anyone else have _______" posts. Razz Or not.

About the sidebar - both my dogs get really close to me when things are going to get bad and are bad. Which is not normal - those two laying together close on the couch is not in their normal behavior. My younger dog, who I've had since I was a pup, will not leave me alone. She follows me everywhere when I'm in a state...can't shower alone, use the bathroom and always have to be within eye-sight of her. If I go into the kitchen and she can't see me from the couch - she gets up and comes in to check on me. Animals are keenly aware of body chemistry changes and there must be something that goes off that won't allow them to leave us. Also is a sign if I'm hedging about going to work - if they won't leave me, probably not a good idea to go in.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Fascinating Symptom - Complicated Migraine Journey Empty Re: Fascinating Symptom - Complicated Migraine Journey

Post  Paradox Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:45 pm

HeelerLady, is that a case where the "stickie" would come into play?

Richard, I'm currently reading the book "Making the Rounds with Oscar" by David Dosa. It's about the nuring home cat who only snuggles up to terminal patients during their waning hours. It's quite fascinating. HUbby said he wouldn't want to see that cat walking in his door! However, the patients are comatose by the time the cat makes his appearance.

Glad you're better. How spooky that must feel!

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:48 pm

Wow pretty scary. I've had my legs just not work but never my whole body. i think I would freak out if it did. What does your doctor say about this? I'm curious because the leg thing has been happening more often, but only when I've been lying down for a bit. I get up and my leg just folds.

My how fascinating is the brain. A true uncharted territory.

Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:45 pm

Richard this is interesting in light of the results I received last week. High immunoglobulins - ie allergy antibodies. Have you ever been tested? Is your mattress making you sick? ie dust/mites. How old is it?
I am wondering if our weird symptoms are anaphyactic. ie an autoimmune problem and instead of sneezing, runny eyes we get migraine, upset tummies and the like.
Do you itch? Have rashes? Sinus problems? Severe allergy reactions can cause numbness. The recognized symptoms of an anaphylatic reaction are puffy swollen lips eys and throat. Who's to say we're not having a different kind of reaction, but a reaction all the same.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Fascinating Symptom - Complicated Migraine Journey Empty fascinating symptom

Post  dizzyflower Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:23 am

Richard how long before you see your doctor? I have ended up on the floor feeling unable to move because evrything has felt too hevy to lift with the room spinning but that is as close as I've got. I hope you don't have to put up with this too much it sounds scary.

look after yourself.

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down