migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The most horrible thing happened to me at the doc today

+18
charmed quark
Anna
LG
Richard
Kate
Hal
Stillhurtin
tecky
02R96
Cindy*W
AuntieBubbs
sailingmuffin
alli
tdu
Paradox
HeelerLady
CluelessKitty
needpainfreedayz
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The most horrible thing happened to me at the doc today - Page 2 Empty I know how you feel

Post  stephgood Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:47 am

Unfortunately I know how you feel. I would look into the pain contract thing. I have always understood it to mean that if you get prescriptions from other DR's you are in violation of it. Also I have insurance, prescription insurance, and a lot of drugs, well most of them are regulated. Even if I wanted more I would be unable to obtain them sooner than how they are prescribed. There are a lot of reasons to go to another pharmacy. I have to switch from one I have used for years because they won't take my FSA card.

I have been literally kicked out of the ER a few times. The last time I was in crisis, I had never been to the Hospital or that ER. I had not been to the ER for almost a year, which was AMAZING! for me. The DR argued with me and I gave him the card of my Neuro. I called the Neuro when he was out of the room and they said they would let him know that I am "allowed" to be treated with Narcotics. He came back in and said he called them and they claimed that they do not use narcotics for headaches...where did I get the prescriptions from then? So he basically gave me a shot of medication that I had already taken 3 times that day. ??? He discharged me and when I left I was worse than when I started. My BP was a lot higher. On the way home I told my husband that if I stroked out and died, he would be lucky! He would be very rich!!! That was a joke Razz

I have had Dr's treat me like a drug addict. I decided to start carrying my 3 HUGE binders of medical information with me when I went to the ER. It is a pain in the butt, but at least they see I am legit and not just there for drugs, which I am, but not in the addict way! It is an awful feeling. You trust these people to help you. You trust them with very personal information. Even if you are going to the ER and have never met the DR before, you have to run through everything and trust that they will treat you properly. When you have that trust violated it is like someone just popped you. You are deflated and have no idea where to turn next. The thing is that is just one DR. There are many and there are even some that respect the effects of a migraine. It took me several years to find one, but I did. While I know this is crushing, please don't let it beat you down. With this conditon, i guess that is what you call it, we have to be our own best advocates. We have to educate ourselves and be proactive with our treatments. And yes it sucks to have to do this while in a high level of pain everyday, but no one will do it for us. I know you can figure out what your next step is, and I am sure that you will not allow another DR to behave this way again.
stephgood
stephgood

Back to top Go down

The most horrible thing happened to me at the doc today - Page 2 Empty Re: The most horrible thing happened to me at the doc today

Post  estre004 Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:58 am

The number of pharmacies shouldn't matter at all. Using more than one doctor for the same medication is a different story. In my state they passed a law where they are monitoring that real close now. I don't know what I would do in that situation. I think I would make a regular appointment to talk to that same doctor that told you to come in for the shot. It could be a total mix up.
I was denied hydrocodone once, so I went home and called my doctor right away. They had nothing to do with the denial. I went back and forth with my doctor, neuro, pharmacy and insurance co. Nobody owed up to the mistake. I ended up getting it and and still don't know what the hassle was.

There very well could have been some misunderstanding with your nurse, doctor, etc. I would certainly want to know why. I know you must feel horrible not only with the fact that you were denied the medication you need for pain but for the extra problem of not knowing why. Let us know what you end up doing and finding out. I wish you luck.!

estre004

Back to top Go down

The most horrible thing happened to me at the doc today - Page 2 Empty Re: The most horrible thing happened to me at the doc today

Post  AuntieBubbs Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:11 pm

Some very good advice, Richard.

We don't know if the OP had a pain contract or not, but regardless of he/she violated a contract, the treatment was wrong. That is what should be reported to the AMA. It was unprofessional and cruel. The doctor and his staff should be investigated and reprimanded for treating the OP that way, for leaving him/her in pain, with the dr. refusing to meet with them, and then shoving them out the back door like a criminal. Borderline unethical behavior, and it deserves to be reported to the AMA, whether a pain contract was in place - and violated - or not. If there was no pain contract, then the OP has an even stronger case for medical misconduct to report.

Please let us know what you decide to do. It sounds like we are all outraged on your behalf Twisted Evil
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Mule Kick Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:25 pm

needpainfreedayz,

I wonder if this nurse took it upon herself to fire you, without consulting the doctor first? And that is why she took you out the backdoor.

Is there any way to get in contact with the doctor, for an explanation; without having to go through the nurse?

You say other members of your family use this doctor as well. Before taking more drastic action; could one of them, perhaps, ask the doctor what the problem is, for you? Or hand carry an explanatory note from you to the doctor, so the nurse could not intercept it? Or both?

Last edited by Mule Kick on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:00 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : grammer, spelling)
Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:48 pm

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I have to say I don't think that's a good idea. It would not be ethical for a health care professional to discuss your health care with another person, so I would expect that if a family member brought up your situation, the dr. would probably refuse to discuss it. I know this dr. - or at least, this medical practice - has apparently acted unprofessionally, but they still would probably not discuss your case with anyone other than you.
By the same argument, it would be better to have a letter delivered certified - and thus documented legally - than delivered by a relative. I don't think you should involve family in this dispute, it could compromise their own relationship with this physician and/or this medical practice.
Just my opinion, you can disagree and I won't be offended, I promise. Smile
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Mule Kick Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:16 am

I think that the nurse fired needpainfreedayz without even telling the doctor that needpainfreedayz was there. I was just trying to brainstorm ways of getting in contact with the doctor without that nurse interfering. The nurse could intercept a letter, even a certified one, and throw it in the garbage before the doctor ever saw it.
Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

The most horrible thing happened to me at the doc today - Page 2 Empty horrible thing at doctors

Post  dizzyflower Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:11 am

Sorry you had to go through this!!

Whatever happened to duty of care?

Are you feeling any better now?

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:37 am

I wish the OP would return to clarify a few details in the thread. I am not trying to be negative, but it sounds like something is missing from this story. The OP seemed to have a good ongoing relationship with the Dr. Again, not trying to be a jerk but for them to "kick the patient out" in this way knowing that there could be repercussions, they may have had a reason. Or there may be a side to the story we haven't heard. Administrators at these offices can be 'cold' but they also generally have their mind on the money. It's tough to imagine them taking a risk like that knowing the patient would obviously be able to pursue action against them.

tdu

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:44 am

For over a decade I have taken posts as written and offered advice and support based on what I read. It has worked well for me for a decade +.

There well may be more to this story and most stories on here. It is utterly impossible to include all the complications of human activity in a few paragraphs on the Net. And that is fine. I want to come here to offer advice and, most importantly, support to fellow migrainers. If I do so, I can receive advice and support when I need it. It works for me.
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  needpainfreedayz Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:42 am

There really is no further story. I know for a fact the doc knew I was there cuz I heard her say my name in the hallway and then request that the pharmacy printout be faxed over. What inspired that I do not know, as I had just seen her two weeks ago and everything was fine. I had never once asked for an early refill, never once called her and asked her to call in narcs for me... if I ever needed that type of med I would go to her office and see her directly (which is no easy feat given she is only open 4 days a week). So ultimately the doc sent her poor nurse in to do her dirty work for her, and I think that makes the whole thing even worse. I lost a lost of respect for that Dr that day. I have come to terms with the fact that I broke a rule, and even if I did not know it existed I broke it nonetheless. I must suffer the consequences of that. But they could of done it in a far more compassionate way. To add to her utter rudeness, my husband (who has a serious medical condition requiring monitoring and medication) called her to see if he too needed to find a new doc. She never even had the courtesy to call him back, and she was always the type of doc that would call you back the same day you left a message. This really makes me upset because now, thanks to my stupidity of breaking a rule I didn't know about, I am causing my husband unnecessary stress and jeopardizing his health as a result. The whole situation just makes me sick to my stomach. Thanks for all the supportive replies and advice everyone.
I truly appreciate it.

PS: While I was there I did hear the doc on the phone arguing with an insurance company (it is a small office so she does a lot of things herself (except, apparently, fire patients). Anyway, she snapped at the insurance company person and said "Well, I don't need anymore new patients anyway." And slammed down the phone. Professional, eh?

needpainfreedayz

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:30 am

Oh my...(focusing through the fuzz) so you broke a rule that they never told you about? Then had the nerve to tell you to get out rather than explaining that they had a rule. That's interesting. I guess my instinct is to go with Richards suggestion and file complaints. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior, ever. Does make you feel a bit sorry for her nurse though - can't imagine that she likes doing the dirty work. I do wonder if the doctor has more of a load than she can handle and getting rid of the complicated cases is a way to ease her load. And that perhaps they created this rule to get rid of certain patients. Also do not blame yourself - this is not good for you or anyone else in the family. It is not your fault that you broke a rule that you didn't know existed...I'm sure you never would have done it had you known.

Along with writing/filing complaints, I would suggest that your entire family find a new doctor (if possible). The way you were treated could happen to any one of them at any time. This is never easy but will most likely be for the best.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:10 am

Thanks for clarifying the story for us. It makes that dr. sound even worse. Definitely a letter to the AMA would be an appropriate action. Sound advice from Richard and HeelerLady.

I hope you and your hubby can find a good replacement without difficulty, one who is more caring and compassionate.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:51 pm

Thanks for the info. It definitely sounds like you are much better off without this Dr. With more info now, I definitely have to agree with the suggestions to take action against the Dr. and the clinic.

tdu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2