migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

brownie recipe

+8
Anna's Mom
Mishkyn
crt
Sara79
LG
Almostangela
estre004
nursebeth
12 posters

Go down

brownie recipe Empty brownie recipe

Post  nursebeth Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:14 pm

does anyone have a crazy good brownie recipe?
something kinda fancy?
allen is a brownie fan, and I want to make some to have after our date saturday nite!!

beth
nursebeth
nursebeth

Back to top Go down

brownie recipe Empty Re: brownie recipe

Post  estre004 Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:46 am

Since nobody has responded yet, you can always get a good brownie mix. He won't know the difference and they are fool-proof.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  nursebeth Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:12 pm

i found a recipe online for a brownie that you make in a muffin cup, pipe peanut butter in it and top with peanut butter & chocolate chips! it had great ratings so i'm gonna try it.
he's a big reese's cup fan, so i think he'll like them.

beth
nursebeth
nursebeth

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:37 pm

You can make the worst brownies, but wear the sexiest black little dress while serving it, and he will swear you should write a cookbook.

Knock 'em dead.

Angela
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:55 pm

That peanut butter one sounds great!!

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:28 pm

LOL @ Angela, I bet she's right. Make the peanut butter ones with sexy black dress and you'll have the best night ever. Very Happy
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:49 pm

This is Betty Crocker's circa approx 1960

3/4c Cocoa
1/4c oil
2/3c shortening
2c sugar
4 eggs
1t vanilla
1 1/4c ap flour
1t baking powder
1t salt
1c nuts, chopped (optional)

Heat oven to 350 F. Mix together cocoa, oil, shortening, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in other ingredients. Spread in greased 13x9x2 inch pan. Bake 30 mins until brownies begin to pull away from the edge of the pan. Do not over bake.

It's not the low calorie version, but these taste so much better than the recipe in the 1990s era Betty Crocker book. Cocoa and oil can be subbed with 4 oz unsweetened chocolate (melted), but I never have that at home, so I just typed the version with the cocoa and oil.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

brownie recipe Empty brownies

Post  crt Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:20 pm

What a mind I have. Immediately I thought of funny (illegal) brownies. Even if the brownies came out badly he wouldn't care. Twisted Evil

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  nursebeth Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:02 pm

Chris, I was waiting for someone to make a funny brownie reference!!

Peanut butter brownies and sexy outfit it is!!!!!!

beth
nursebeth
nursebeth

Back to top Go down

Post  nursebeth Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:09 pm

allen loved the brownies and the date was AWESOME!!
got a feeling i'm gonna be pulling out my baking cap as he has a sweet tooth and I love seeing the smile they put on his face!!
so any easy sweet recipes will be welcome!!

beth
nursebeth
nursebeth

Back to top Go down

Post  Mishkyn Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:40 am

Dear Beth,
I have tried dozens of brownie recipes, even tried baking two or three recipes the same day for taste tests. The BEST by far is the Ghiardelli Brownie Mix. It blows all home made recipes out the door. I generally get the Double Brownie mix that has choc. chips in it.

My brother has written for several food processing magazines and he tells me that the good mixes cannot be beat because they use the finest flour and chocolate etc. and their measurements are always correct. They do not use old flour, or flour that may have absorbed too much moisture, etc. Everything is always at the precisely correct temperature when it is readied for the mix, and all additives are fresh and perfectly measured as well.

So, now I leave it to the experts and do NOT feel guilty I cannot beat them in my own kitchen.
Mishkyn

Mishkyn

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:30 am

I'm a "from scratch" cook, but what you wrote Mishkyn was very interesting to me!

Coming from the birthplace of Pillsbury, Betty Crocker, and General Mills...

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:56 am

I love gooey brownies with crisp tops. Hmmmm
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:12 pm

There is no way you can make homemade cake as light and fluffy as a Duncan Hines white cake mix. I have tried and failed. I'm talking about plain white cake. Angel food cake is a different class, and I know that is light and fluffy.

I make great Duncan Hines cupcakes with homemade butter cream frosting. To die for.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:22 pm

I live in England, you cannot buy anything that resembles a good Brownie.
We now get the Ghiardelli mix from Costco as well.
My dad was a master baker....Brownies can be tricky...
Mind with my stupid oven, cookies are tricky....

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:45 pm

My daughter married a Mizo from Mizoram, India. They went to Mizoram for one month at Christmas time. No one has ovens there. They eat rice at every meal. I thought I'd send a cake and frosting mix with her, for her birthday. But there would have been no place to bake it.

They buy cakes from bakeries, but they don't have much butter in Mizoram. So the cakes and frostings are made with oils, and they aren't the best tasting oils. Maria never had any cake that was even ok tasting. Bread was not good. She longed for cereal and milk for breakfast. They just aren't into baked goods or cereal there. Rice, rice, and more rice!

Her hubby loves my Swedish rice pudding though.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

brownie recipe Empty what kind of rice?

Post  crt Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:34 pm

Cheryl,

Don't they mostly eat white rice in India? If so, that's awful. I can't stand white rice. I love brown rice, especially Lundberg's (a California family farm) organic short grain brown rice. I like it so much I can eat it with nothing on it. But if I splash on some Tabasco, I get migraine prevention too.

http://www.lundberg.com/

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:59 pm

Yes, it is white, but they have their own style of rice which is different than "American" rice. My daughter said every meal was the same. Rice, vegetables, and a little meat. Three times a day.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:23 pm

crt wrote:Don't they mostly eat white rice in India? If so, that's awful. I can't stand white rice. I love brown rice, especially Lundberg's (a California family farm) organic short grain brown rice. I like it so much I can eat it with nothing on it. But if I splash on some Tabasco, I get migraine prevention too.

http://www.lundberg.com/

Chris, I'm with you. I love brown rice and could eat it at every meal (sometimes do when my stomach is acting up). We buy the Lundberg's organic short grain brown rice at Costco (a big bag). I like mine with fat-free plain yogurt and banana, with milk, or just plain too.

Becky
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  susan99 Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:09 pm

in india i think they use basmati rice a lot. yummy. there are so many different varieties. i was using thai jasmine rice for a while, but have gone back to a medium grain japanese brand now (buy the ones that say "new crop", often tastes better i think). i've used lundberg before, but like these way better. i get brown rice too sometimes, since supposed to be good for you. but sometimes i think it can be harder to digest. i've tried doing 50/50 brown and white, but it hasn't turned out that good. brown rice takes longer to cook and the white can get kinda mushy...

susan99

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:29 pm

I asked my son-in-law if he likes basmati rice, and he said not very much. His people (Mizo) are of Mongolian heritage. They are very different culturally from the rest of India. He likes a specific variety of rice that is available in a few stores in the Twin Cities. So far I haven't managed to get any in my kitchen, and when I make rice for him, I know he eats it politely (he's very sweet). But it isn't what he prefers. Some day I'll get it right Smile

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down