migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sinus migraines

4 posters

Go down

sinus migraines Empty sinus migraines

Post  joycein Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:53 am

Yesterday I had a BAD sinus headache which turned into a migraine.
My eye flet like it was gonna fly out of the socket What a Face My face thumped bounce
Imitrex gave me some relief, Excedrine and Tylenol helped take the edge off the pain, but I sat up all night, Excedrine PM helped me sleep thru some of it.
I am on Inderal to help prevent migraines and it helps , until the sinuses flare up. My nose does not always stuff up. Yesterday was that way.
I sit in chair and slept half the AM I am weak and shaky.
At least I have Imitrex so that I don't have to vomit/diareha
and dehydrate myself. I have had this since I was a kid. I am old now silent grand kids tell me anyhow.

My Doctor is young and she pretty much hears me out as to what helps and what don't. No problem getting prescriptions from her.
But what can be done to prevent the sinus from happening.
The sprays don't help, they make my nose bleed.

Joycein

joycein

Back to top Go down

sinus migraines Empty Re: sinus migraines

Post  alli Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:59 am

It really isn't a sinus issue per se. It is a migraine issue. Migraines can feel like sinus as the nerves that are involved in migraine pain also go through the sinuses. My sinuses almost always swell with a migraine attack. I take an antihitimine to reduce the swelling. Most people use Benadryl, but I use Claritin or Zyrtek (sp) as I also have allergy issues.

I would try that rather than a spray as you just want the swelling to go down. The sprays are usually a decongestant which can dry the sinuses out too much. They should be used sparingly. Saline sprays are better that decongestant sprays.

Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:59 am

I have ongoing sinus problems and use a product called Sinus Buster. It has worked wonders for me, but it's not for the faint of heart. It's a capzasin based nose spray, so the first few times you take it the reaction is pretty strong. But I find unlike other remedies which either dry out the sinuses or just relieve pain, it actually flushes out my sinuses and treats the problem. It also helps a bit for general migraines for me for the reasons Alli listed.

Other solutions to try are Neti Pots and Saline sprays as a daily treatment to hopefully prevent problems.

tdu

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:07 pm

just posted this on another thread. I have constant sinus problems.
I use Sterimar. A natural sea salt saline spray. Its from Oz. Its good.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:45 pm

pen wrote:just posted this on another thread. I have constant sinus problems.
I use Sterimar. A natural sea salt saline spray. Its from Oz. Its good.

Saline spray solutions are definitely the least invasive option, and work well if you use them daily as a preventative for sinus issues. The Neti Pot and Sinus Buster are definitely not what most people would consider pleasant to use. I personally am used to both and don't mind them, but some people just can't take either.

tdu

Back to top Go down

Post  joycein Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:16 pm

I was told that Imitrex would only work on migraines. Sometimes when my sinuses are killing me the Imitrex does little to help. Evil or Very Mad But the second injection will give me relief for several hours. If is it simply a migraine, the Imitrex takes care of it in one does. The sinus ones last for days, usually the first day being the worse. For me the the injections work best . & Once I start getting sick to stomach I can not keep down pills or even water/. Razz

As for the Sinus Buster, it is not for the faint of heart. No I use it sparingly,
The Saline Soulition I have no problem with, when it comes to clearing my nasal passages, But when my head is aching, then it seems to add to the pain. drunken Didn't know you needed to use daily.
I had Veramyst, nasal spray, which I was to use every day. It helped but made my nose bleed. and was expensieve.

I have had sinus infections all my life. Which lead to ear infections which lead to 2 surgeries on my left ear. So I am sure sinus play a part for me..
These headaches also run in the family.

joycein

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:54 am

For people with sinus problems, saline spray is supposed to be used daily to help prevent them. I actually use it a few times a day myself.

I know the pain you are describing. I used to get at least 2-3 horrible sinus infections a year. NOTHING stops the pain, or even makes a dent in it. And it takes forever to clear up. That is exactly why I am so persistant when it comes to finding ways to prevent them before they start. I haven't had a really bad one in 2 years now.

The one other option I forgot to mention was tea tree oil. Do a search online for it, and using it to treat sinus problems. I boil a few drops in water and inhale it. You have to watch your eyes doing this though. Some people mix a solution in a spray bottle and use it as a nose spray. That falls into the category of 'not for the faint of heart' as well though lol. It's not pleasant. It has worked wonders when I have had a full on sinus problem though.

tdu

Back to top Go down

sinus migraines Empty grapefruit seed oil

Post  joycein Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:46 pm

Ever try grapefruit seed oil? I used it years ago until it burnt a hole down inside me somewhere. Crying or Very sad It is very inexpensieve, and you use only a little. I use a more than the recipe called for.
Now I just take and peel a grapefruit really thin, just the outside, not the white with it. and chew on that, or just chew a gr fr seed. It really seems to help. Kills off whatever is causing the infection.
When I go to the Dr. with a sinus infection the nurse usually thinks I am just faking it. Like how long did you have this? I told her 2 month. Very Happy
Dr. will give me a prescription, but I hate taking all those antibiotics. Even tho they do help.

I have really been helped using the 80 gms. of inderal. Laughing

joycein

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down