migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What would you call this pain?

+3
30yrsofheadache
Jewishmother
pen
7 posters

Go down

What would you call this pain? Empty What would you call this pain?

Post  pen Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:22 pm

I woke with pain, in back of my head and in my eyes. I held out from medication because I have a lot of OTC lately....(hay fever headaches.). Eventually it got worse instead of better and I took a couple Excedrin. Two hours later it is worse again and by now its gone into my right temple and top of head. I'm thinking, this is a migraine, now I have wasted 5 hours when I should have taken a Frova. My daughter gave me head massage and it did help. Its 10pm now and about the same as when she did that.

Question is, what is this? Pain like migraine, and about say an 8 by the time she got to me.
BUT no nausea or spaciness or photophobia, (about the only signs I get apart from pain).
I get this one sided pain a lot, but have never known what it is.
It is never quite as bad as migraine. But is worse in one way that no other med. fixes it.

If I had taken the triptan at 3pm I would have wasted it. It wasnt migraine I guess and I didnt need the triptan.
Does anyone else have these phantom migraines please? What are they, how do you deal with them?

Thanks.

pen

Back to top Go down

What would you call this pain? Empty Re: What would you call this pain?

Post  Jewishmother Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:59 pm

I consider the pain/pressure behind my eyes and back of my head as part of my migraine......one of my neuros calls it occipital neuralgia triggered by the migraine.......whatever they want to call it - they can be very painful. Scalp massage and an ice pack at the back of my head helps along with pain meds and a dark room. Hope you are feeling better. Leslie
Jewishmother
Jewishmother

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:11 pm

My Dr. told me not all migraines act alike. She said to try triptan for different head pains to see if it works. Also, I get tension type headaches that morph into migraine if I dont rest and treat them. It is so tiring to figure things out all the time! Hope you are feeling better now!
Hugs, Sleep
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:33 pm

Thanks both of you.
I do feel better thank you and it seems to have resolved by itself.
In fact after the head massage took the edge off it I popped out with my husband for a half hour then came back and put some plants in. Its now midnight and it is about a 3 and manageable.

I am due a migraine tomorrow, as I dont seem to be able to get more than 3 days without for the last few months.
Despite getting 8 days off beginning of May and June???? I will try to pay attention to the differences from today.

Problem is I get this pain at some time on most days....but it can resolve itself, and it can respond to OTC.
As you say Cindy it is tiring and frustration (not to mention stressful) trying to figure what it is and when and what to take.

So you seem to think its a migraine. That means I have migraine every day of my life...
I dont have enough triptans for that, and wouldn't want to take them daily supposing I did.

I wish I could find what triggers them, then I wouldnt have to agonise over medication so much.

Thanks.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:05 pm

This is were the majority of my migrianes are. The back of my head and the back of my eyeballs.

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:10 pm

I forgot to mention that sometimes my head feels "heavy" in the back when I have a m. I thought this was strange until I read that it was part of the migraine.

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:53 pm

I have had alot of those types of migraine over the years. I just do what I do for migraine.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:18 am

I have had my BP checked thanks Ali and it is fine. All my life until the last few years I have low BP 110/60.
My mother had this too, and I believe, also with the low body temperature it is low thyroid, but drs wont treat me.

I have woken with the same pain this morning.
It is in my eyes, back of head and my ears are ringing.

I am resisting medication as I have had too much lately.
I am thinking it is to do with sinus pressure.
I have a problem with my teeth nerves and sinuses almost touching.
Lot of phantom tooth pain.
I have a constantly bocked nose and cant clear it....
I do know about the sinus headache myth of course, but I also know i can get pain from congestion.
As they come on over night and I wake with blocked nose, this is what I am wondering.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:35 am

Pen, Have you been checked for Lyme disease? A lot of your symptoms sound like mine for Lyme. Low body temp. is one. I always thought I had multiple sinus infections until I got treated, as well as daily HA, fibromyalgia and sleep problems. Sounding familiar? Just a thought....
Hugs,
Cindy

30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:51 am

I havent no. It seems to be almost unheard of in the UK. I think they would think me mad, but I will look up symptoms and I can ask. Its all put down to Fibro with me....doesnt help....no treatment.

Thanks Cindy

P

pen

Back to top Go down

What would you call this pain? Empty sinus headaches

Post  sultanehali Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:50 am

Headaches that caused by sinus come morning and every day, after 2-3 hr after wake up the headaches starts to less in intensity.

sultanehali

Back to top Go down

What would you call this pain? Empty Sounds familiar

Post  Hal Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:18 am

Most of my life:

1. Sinus problems
2. Migraine starts in the base of my skull and eyes, moves to side and or top of head or stays in place and feels as if being hit with baseball bat every time heart beats. Can be there when I wake up or occur during the day. Migraines also start in different places at different times.
3. Problems sleeping, but not always associated with migraine. Not apnea.
4. Low blood pressure, sometimes as low as 97/48. I feel as if I might pass out. I eat a salty snack.
5. Always had a below normal temp. No Lyme. Just limeade with ice, thanks.
6. Sensitive scalp when I have a migraine.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  Tngirl83 Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:38 pm

Pen-

my daily headache/migraine pain starts in the sides of my head, and can move anywhere after that. Usually to the top then to the other side. Most of the time with my daily headaches I don't have the classic migraine symptoms until I actually get the full blown migraine on top of the daily pain.

unfortunately my daily headache pain is an 8/10 and OTC doesn't do a thing for me.

Hope you can find some relief. You've had a rough time lately. I feel for you.

Tngirl83
Tngirl83

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down