migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Early report on new preventative

4 posters

Go down

Early report on new preventative Empty Early report on new preventative

Post  msmolly Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi all,

My migraine pattern had jumped recently from about 1 per week to 2 or even 3 or 4. I believe part of the reason is that a new neighbor below me smokes and I am very sensitive to smoke. But the doors and windows are closed due to winter, so I am not sure how much could be attibuted to that alone. I couldn't really smell the smoke (although I usually detect even the slightest hint of it) , just was pretty sure it was seeping up into my little sanctuary.

Anyway I had an appointment with a new neuro here who does just headaches and migraines about two weeks ago. At about the same time I bought two air purifiers for my apartment and have been running them 24/7.

The neuro listened to my concerns about side effects of some of the more popular preventatives, like Topomax, and agreed to try the most benign solutions first. Loved that! I am already taking 50 MG of Pamelor as a preventative through my primary care doc, and he said I could stay on that. (It really helps me sleep.) But he added Lisinopril, a blood pressure med, at 10 MG a day. The usual side effects are dizziness and a dry cough, and I was not worried about those. He said that I could see results almost immediately, but that it would take 5-6 weeks to really evaluate the effectiveness. To date I have not been dizzy and have had only occasional dry cough episodes - no biggie.

So my "test" is not pure in that I started the new med and bought the air purifiers almost on the same day. But I can tell you that I have not had a migraine for 9 days, and have only had one in the past 15 days. I am so hopeful - and wanted to pass this on just in case it might help someone here.

Molly
msmolly
msmolly

Back to top Go down

Early report on new preventative Empty Re: Early report on new preventative

Post  pen Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:58 pm

I noticed no one had responded to your post of a couple of weeks ago Molly.
Wondered how you were doing now??

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  msmolly Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:35 pm

Pen, I have had just three migraines in the last 26 days - a vast improvement to the 3-5 per week I was experiencing before starting the Lisinporil. And, the side effects have been very bearable - dizziness upon getting up after sitting for awhile, and a transient dry cough that I hardly notice. So, I am excited. Will be seeing the neuro again next Friday and will see if he wants to increase the dosage or leave it as is.

I sure hope somone else can benefit from this. I will keep you posted and thanks for asking.

Molly
msmolly
msmolly

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:44 pm

Molly,

So happy to see a success story!!! I am so happy for you. Having just a few a month would be so much better than almost daily.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:14 pm

Molly I am glad I asked. That is amazing and so good to hear.
You must be thrilled, I know I would be..
I am not familiar with the drug, but those side effects sound like me on a normal day Very Happy
I dont know if our symptoms would have been at all similar, but the migraine frequency sure is.
Good luck with the next appointment, and do keep us posted.
I will keep a look out for your post.

Razz
Bummer, just checked it out.....hard on the kidneys. I only have one working one....oh well.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  msmolly Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:20 pm

Pen, so sorry to hear that. I will ask the neuro about taking it with one kidney. He may have some insight - he says he has been able to come up with some sort of preventative that works for almost everyone he has worked with. Of course "works" is relative - which he is quick to admit.
msmolly
msmolly

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:54 pm

That's kind of you Molly. My right kidney is still there, but is very very slow.
That is in some way worse than it not being there, because it is more inclined to develop problems.
Be good
to hear what he says. But you must concentrate on yourself. Good luck.
Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Early report on new preventative Empty new preventive

Post  rileyoday Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:29 pm

Good news for Molly, I was afraid the smoker would get you. I would read up on how that Lisinpril works in the head, and if it stops with relief try one in the same class.

Do you have high blood pressure and if so has it changed your #?

I tried that several years ago no luck and my BP stayed a little below normal. But 115 days ago I started clonidine
also a BP med which has dropped my BP and Im not getting M so I feel good. I want to see if they have the same class.
not alot of success here I hope you found some.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down