migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whats the deal with my tongue?

5 posters

Go down

Whats the deal with my tongue? Empty Whats the deal with my tongue?

Post  LG Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:10 am

I woke up this morning with a really bad one today, guys. I'm waiting for my fioricet to kick in, which I really hope works. I am a little bit concerned with my tongue though, it was swollen when I woke up! It is taste sensitive and painful to rub against my back teeth.

Don't worry I made myself smile in a mirror to make sure it was nice and even and I'm not acting funny, so I don't think I had a stroke.

I would like to assume I just bit down on it wrong while sleeping but the fact that the one small spot on it makes everything taste funny kind of throws me off. Anyone experience this upon waking with a HORRID migraine. My pain scale is a good ol' 8-9. One of the worst I've had in a month or so.

Think of me if your reading and please hope it goes away with the meds i've got at home. I'm with my daughter today, just me and her all alone so I really can't do the whole day with an 8 by myself. Crying or Very sad Thanks guys.
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Whats the deal with my tongue? Empty Re: Whats the deal with my tongue?

Post  Ivy Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:31 am

I wish I lived closer to help you. I'm a good baby sitter I love you

About the tongue: for a certain period I've also experienced weird sensations like numbness or hypersensitivity of one spot of my tongue. These symptoms were mainly during the prodrome symptom. They used to go away when the migraine was in its worst moment. .

The sensation of swollen tongue sounds more familiar after the assumption of some drugs, instead. Some antibiotics gave me that symptom, in particular penicillines.

I've never tried Topomax, but I know that it can give weird sensation to tongue, taste/smell sense.

I hope that you'll soon feel better.

Hugs flower
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:10 am

Thanks Ivy I love you I bet she'd love you. She's a sweetheart and a true entertainer!

After I took my fioricet the pain in my tongue dulled a bit. It is still swollen and I am slurring my speech a bit still. Weird that it is only swollen in a small area that is very hard to bite down on. It is the very back back of my tongue and unless I tried to bite it, it wouldn't get in the way. I must have been sleeping while it happened so it just seemed strange to me that I would wake up like that.

As far as other drugs go, I haven't taken anything different or new that I haven't taken before. I suppose all things could present new side effects, but the topamax I've been taking for 4 months or maybe longer and I've never had any problems with my tongue besides food tasting different. I don't think it would make my tongue actually swell in a small area, and if it did I would figure it would make my whole tongue swell. Thats what confuses me, otherwise I'd chalk it up to food allergy or other allergy ect.

I hope it is just part of the migraine. I am always overly concerned about having a stroke. I am stupidly concerned I guess. I don't call my doctor every 5 minutes or anything..in fact, besides mentioning it once in regards to my B.C I haven't brought it up since, still the thought of it scares the living bejesus out of me. Anything that relates to my tongue or mouth going numb or anything makes me think stroke or seizure. Both run in my family and both make me SOOO scared! How in the world could I tell if I had either if I were sleeping?! I'm not going to worry myself stupid about it because that in turn would make my M. worse. It is brewing steadily, dropped down to a 5 after taking fioricet and now climbing again so the last thing I need is stress making it worse. I'm just going to chill out while my daughter sleeps in and rest as best as I can.

Hope everyone else is having a better morning than I am!
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:26 am

LG, I wonder if rinsing your mouth out with warm salt water would help. If it doesn't, you're not out anything, but if it does at least you'd have some relief.

My head is not good this morning either. I'm waiting for the meds to kick in and hoping the heartburn doesn't worsen in the process. It's got to be the weird weather patterns all over the US. It's very cold here, -7 degrees F with much lower wind chills.

Hope you feel better soon. Please take care.

Becky I love you
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Stillhurtin Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:54 am

Lg-
I'm sorry you are having such a rough time today. I don't have any experience w swollen tounge, so I'm not much help. Sorry. Hopefully it just coincidental and not related to your M. I am also in rough shape today. Here in Chicago we are expecting 6-11 inches of snow tonight into tomorrow. My head is not happy about it!! Turns out my 3 yr old has a high fever so I have to stay home with him so at least I won't be forcing myself thru work with a 7-8.

I wish I could've been more help. Can you rest with Gia?? Is she into movies yet? Figures this would be a day your hubbys not around to help Sad

take it easy. I'm here with my lil guys today too, but their older (3 and 5 1/2) so I can rest and they are good boys Smile

let me know how your day goes. I'm thinkin of ya!
Stillhurtin
Stillhurtin

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:31 am

I just tried the saltwater rinse. It didn't help much with my tongue but thats okay. I enjoyed it, it always soothes my whole mouth and although it leaves me a bit dry mouthed it reminds me of the times I was sick and my mom stayed home and comforted me. I also just turned on our humidifier full blast to moisten up the place, it seemed a little dry. That won't help my tongue I know that but it might make me feel better in other ways.

Yes Becky and Jess, THE WEATHER IS FING NUTS! The pressure fronts are driving me nuts because my head can tell when they come around. For the last storm we missed the snow but my head didn't miss the wind and fronts. Today it is pretty cold here, not as bad as where your at Becky but still colder than normal. I think I'm ovulating too, I'm also having slight cramps. Those two combined will give me a nice migraine right there.

Jess, looks like we are both at home with the kids Smile It's kind of cool to think about that. We're both going to bum it out right? My bathroom is a mess...well wait, my whole house is come to think about it. I hope yours is too no offense...lets take the day off and not do anything. Make me feel less guilty about sitting on my bum. I know if I get up and move around and clean with chemicals it'll make things 10X worse so join the party with me!

Gia loves Noggin. We try to keep the TV off a lot of the time but it never works that way LOL. I can usually put it on for her and she keeps pretty quiet. I'll dump all the toys on the floor and make sure the living room is super safe and let her play just in case I fall asleep for a few minutes(she won't let sleep for long before swatting me in the face). I slept horribly last night and I'm utterly exhausted, so I wont put it past myself to doze off as bad as that is. Oh man, what I'd give up to be a normal mom. I decided I'd happily give up my pinky fingers and toes the other day. Laughing
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  kw Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:54 am

I just read your post and I am thinking about you! I hope you are doing okay. Wishing you peaceful and stressless thoughts!!! Is baby Gia being good for you? I wish I was there with my daughter so we could help you out and watch Gia for you! My daughter loves children and is such a help with little ones!!! The one thing I am thankful for is that my children are now the age that they can care for themselves when I get a bad one.
How far away is your mom? Is she working today? Just thinking? How old is Gia? Is she old enough where you can try to find her a fun place to go and play with other kids when you have bad days like this? I was just thinking that when you feel better, you might want to look into a place she can stay when you have a really rough day or night. She may like getting to play with all the other kids too. I hope this doesn't offend you, I just know how hard it is to try to rest and feel better with a little one to watch! Get better!!! Smile
kw
kw

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:17 am

No it doesn't offend me at all. Smile I feel better, I'm still holding in at a 5 but I can definitely live with that. I took another dose of my fioricet at 12:20pm and it's kicking in now, thank goodness. She's being really good and napping at the moment. My mom is busy today otherwise she'd watch her. Right now she's in between jobs but she has a busy day of interviewing and then sending more resumes out.

Little G is almost a year and a half. Unfortunately money is very tight so daycare and paid programs aren't an option. I really rely heavily on family so when they aren't available I'm out of luck. I should really thank my stars because I have so much more than what most have and a lot of days I can get someone to watch her when I am having a really bad morning. Occasionally, my husband can even stay home from work if it is that bad. I know if I really needed him I could call him home but we so badly need the money that I avoid it at all costs.

I am so blessed with the best child in the world. She is a breeze to take care of. She has grown mostly out of her screaming phase and only does that for about a half hour to an hour a day and the rest of the time plays quietly. She likes to cuddle up with me and watch TV. When she gets grouchy I give her a bottle and put her down and thats that. Don't get me wrong, she's very hyper but at least she is quiet. As long as the house is babyproofed very well I usually have it easy with her. I think if she were any different, I'd definitely be calling my husband home a lot more.

I think it is the day to day chores that are difficult with bad M. All I want to do is sit in the dark on the couch and not move. She of course needs the TV on to stay quiet, diaper changes and feedings, naps and care, stimulation and stupid noisy toys LOL. Those types of things aren't bad at all when I'm feeling okay but when I have a monster brewing it really is so much more difficult.

I love her being little and I don't want to rush it but at the same time, I can't wait for her to get older and be more independent!
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  kw Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:21 pm

I'm so glad you didn't take it the wrong way! I know what you mean about her getting bigger. I was the same way with my two! I am still that way. Mine are 12 & 8. I sit back and watch them and wish they would stay the way they are forever, yet at the same time, I want them to grow up and have the best time in the world! They are great kiddos and I couldn't ask to be blessed more! I'm glad your meds are working for you! Take it easy the rest of the day and the work in the house will still be there whenever you feel up to doing it! Don't sweat it!
kw
kw

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down