migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP: computer screen gives me headache

+3
Migrainegirl
tortoisegirl
Platypus
7 posters

Go down

HELP: computer screen gives me headache Empty HELP: computer screen gives me headache

Post  Platypus Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:11 pm

Actually if I have NO headache I can look at the screen. But if I have a HA of any level, looking at the screen for even a short time sends my head pain skyrocketing. How do you guys do it? What do I need? New monitor? Glare guard? I wear sunglasses but that does nothing. I have a tower PC w/ separate monitor.

-Platy
Platypus
Platypus

Back to top Go down

HELP: computer screen gives me headache Empty Re: HELP: computer screen gives me headache

Post  tortoisegirl Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:49 pm

I don't have this issue, but I've read in the past that adjusting the monitor settings can help. Things to start with are brightness and refresh rate (increase it). A glare shield could help, and is cheaper than a new monitor, with which there is no guarantee of help (unless you are going from a CRT to a flatscreen). I hope you figure something out.

Also, I figured I'd mention that I've read that wearing sunglasses indoors can be harmful. It can worsen photophobia as the tint causes the retina to open more, letting more harmful light wavelengths in. Tinted lenses may be a better option (there are certain ones good for migraine).

Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

HELP: computer screen gives me headache Empty Re: HELP: computer screen gives me headache

Post  Migrainegirl Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:20 pm

Make sure your vision is ok ( have your prescription checked).  But if that is fine, likely there is not much you can do.  You are sensitive to the backlit screen and update rate of your monitor. 

A few possible work arounds (1) try viewing with a larger font size (2) try viewing in reverse video - white text on a black background.  Both should be options in the accessibility settings of your computer.   Also make sure your monitor has at least a 60 hz update rate.  Less can appear to be a slight flicker to your eyes ( even subliminally).
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:15 am

I have he same problem. With any contrasting light images, too.
I just find that the problem is much worse on a large monitor, then on a smaller laptop, but not the elongated screen, when I have to slide my eyes to far from right to left (or the reverse). When I can "grasp" the whole image in one glance it helps a lot, so I adjust my browser size to the most comfortable format.

Too small, or too big fond does not help, it needs to be just so, then I am fine.

But when the M is about to start, or I am having one of these persistent bouts of lower level head pain, then nothing helps much and any time on a computer makes things so much worse.

There is one more tip, I find that when it is completely dark in the room and the screen seems even more bright it is more likely to trigger a h/a. The same is true when there is a source of bright light too close to the screen, because then I need to strain my sight to see what is in the screen, which is "competing" for attention, because another bright source of light is a constant distraction (like a bright lamp nearby, or a very sunny window).

I have been recently visiting family and had to use the monitor (with the tower) and found it most uncomfortable and noticed I was abut to get a h/ache, so I went to I pad and managed to finish what I was doing. Yes, I definitely find smaller screen better. But of course as we know, each of us reacts differently, so in the end it is trial and error. I just hope that some of the suggestions here might help you.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  Platypus Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:03 pm

Well I ordered a new monitor and it's got a load of acronyms that my old monitor doesn't have: HD, LCD, LED, IPS. Hopefully it will be easier on my eyes.
Platypus
Platypus

Back to top Go down

HELP: computer screen gives me headache Empty Help computer monitor hurting my eyes

Post  dizzyflower Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:34 am

Hope it works for you when you get the new monitor. If it doesn't solve the problem completely try keeping the brightness up rather than right down because the darker it is the more obvious the flicker on some of them .

We have one screen that is better bright and one that is better dark, i don't know quite why. Also tinted specs help me a bit, but they are colorimetry specs done to an individual shade with prescription lenses.

Another thing to try is putting a table lamp right next to the screen ( using a bulb that gives constant not flickering light so watch out with the energy saving bulbs) It seems to reduce the effect of any flicker from the screen.

I find if the room is too dark I can walk away seeing flicker as well as having pain, even if you switch out the lights. Just wanted to add that the lamp is shaded so you don't get the light direct as this is a trigger.

Hope some of this is of use.

regards
Di

Last edited by dizzyflower on Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I forgot something important.)

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  Platypus Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:09 pm

Monitor showed up and is DOA. Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!  Evil or Very Mad 
Platypus
Platypus

Back to top Go down

Post  anosh jackson Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:47 am

Hope it works for you when you get the new monitor. If it doesn't solve the problem completely try keeping the brightness up rather than right down because the darker it is the more obvious the flicker on some of them .

We have one screen that is better bright and one that is better dark, i don't know quite why. Also tinted specs help me a bit, but they are colorimetry specs done to an individual shade with prescription lenses.

anosh jackson

Back to top Go down

Post  ConcordGrape Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:24 pm

Did the new monitor help?

I wanted to mention a free program called f.lux https://justgetflux.com/ , that will adjust your monitors color settings to make them more orange and less blue. It is meant to be used by people who work on the computer at night and have trouble falling asleep. It automatically matches the sunset, so your screen gets gradually more orange as the sun goes down, but you can change the settings to activate it during the day. Since blue light is a known aggravator of migraines, it sure can't do any harm to use it.

Screens have always flared up my headaches and I haven't found much that helps other than dimming the brightness (or making sure it matches the background light as closely as possible), and using f.lux. I used to have a job working on a computer everyday, but I gave that up when my headaches became daily. Honestly, the best solution is to avoid the screen altogether.
ConcordGrape
ConcordGrape

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down