migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Success Story

5 posters

Go down

A Success Story Empty A Success Story

Post  Anna's Mom Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:19 pm

My son just called me to tell me about his wife's friend from the D.C. area who recently came for a visit. This friend has pretty severe migraine disease.

She recently had "migraine surgery" with Dr. Ducic at Georgetown University Hospital in D.C. You can google him and his surgery.

The friend is significantly better, because of the surgery. It takes time to know. But she is encouraged because her pain is better. She may go for a second surgery to try and tweak it even more.

The surgery was done in the back of her head--targeting the occipital nerve area.

My son wanted me to know because this person was so encouraged by her results so far. She did her research big time before deciding to have the surgery. She said it was a positive experience, working with Dr. Ducic and his staff.

Just wanted to share this.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

A Success Story Empty Re: A Success Story

Post  MaryAnneLive Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:29 pm

thank you so much Cheryl! It is always nice to hear about the successful ones!
Mary Anne
MaryAnneLive
MaryAnneLive

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:01 pm

Thanks, Cheryl. It's so nice to hear about a success story--helps to keep our hope alive.

From the way the surgery is described, it sounds like it might hold great promise of relief. I know much of my pain is triggered by the occipital region, and I've mentioned to my husband that the level of pain depends on how I position my head (looking up or down) and the movement (irritation) experienced while riding in a vehicle.

Becky Very Happy

Last edited by tecky on Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : comments added after reading about surgery)
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:04 pm

Thanks so much for letting us know, Cheryl.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:52 am

My son said this girl needed to have a positive response to occipital blocks in order to be considered for the surgery. He thought she had 20% relief from the blocks, and that was enough to qualify her. He said she is a real researcher on migraine disease, and she decided to give this a try (and is very glad she did).

Anna had a positive response to occipital nerve blocks in 2002 but no response in 2007. Maybe she is "too far gone" for something like this.

But her first neurosurgeon in 2006 recommended she go see Dr. Ducic to get an evaluation. We never did it.

It is cool though, to hear the story of my daughter-in-law's good friend.

It does give one hope when you feel that migraine preventatives are useless (how I feel after trying for TEN years, over one third of Anna's life, with dismal results).

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Brain Pain Mom Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:17 am

alien Yay!!! Happy, happy news! I love tis site for support and new ideas, but rarely do we hear good news and things can start to feel al little hopeless. That is wonderful!! Please keep up on the happy stories!

Thank you Cheryl
Brain Pain Mom
Brain Pain Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down