migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Having GREAT success with Doxepin

+6
theresae
rileyoday
tecky
Anna's Mom
HeelerLady
Paradox
10 posters

Go down

Having GREAT success with Doxepin Empty Having GREAT success with Doxepin

Post  Paradox Sat May 08, 2010 8:35 am

I started on Doxepin a couple months ago and can't believe the change in my life. Going from M's almost everyday to 3-4 a month.

Doxepin is a old school tri-cyclic antidepressant used for depression, anxiety, insomnia and chronic pain. The recommended starting dose is 75 mg. and I'm having success at just 50 mg.

I'm sleeping so well, though having very vivid dreams (the neuro said the dreams are just an indication that I'm going into a very deep sleep and are a good thing).

It is also very inexpensive since it's been around for so long. The retail price for 60 25 mg. capsules was $18! And my insurance paid the whole $18. I paid $0, nothing, nada. I was stunned since I'm used to paying big bucks for the newest and greatest.

I had tried tri-cyclics in the past (amitriptyline) with no success so really wasn't expecting much, but, as I'm sure you can imagine, I'm thrilled.

The most common side effect is weight gain (though in some people the side effect is weight loss), however I haven't gained a pound. I think it's because I'm up a MOVING and living my life.

Wanted to share this so those of you who haven't had success with amitripyline might consider doxepin. It's not an expensive or dangerous trial.

Here's a link for it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxepin

Blue skies to all.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Having GREAT success with Doxepin Empty Re: Having GREAT success with Doxepin

Post  HeelerLady Sat May 08, 2010 8:41 am

That's great Charlotte. Did Ami work for you though? Just wondering if it has something to do with the class of drug...or were you not able to tolerate it?
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sat May 08, 2010 9:08 am

No, the ami did nothing for the headaches at all. It was almost 20 years ago when I tried it. I think I was on it for about 6 months. I took Elavil. I remember sleeping well, but that was about it.

That's why I wasn't expecting good results with the Doxepin either.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Sat May 08, 2010 9:16 am

Yoo hoo! Glad to hear it is still helping Smile

I wish it would have helped Anna, but it didn't. Her G.P. took her off Cymbalta last week which she has been on for two years. She sure went downhill since going off, but I don't know if it was that or this terrible weather pattern we are in.

I'm going to ask about Vivactil when we see the new neuro (as requested) in Madison on Monday. Anna was on it when Diamond treated her years ago, and they said it is an antidepressant that helps pep you up. She could use that, but maybe her insomnia would be even worse. I just don't know.

But glad to hear about your continued success! Kudos to your neuro (our neuro, I might add, but whom we haven't seen in way too long)!

Interesting to hear that the vivid dreams are a sign of deep sleep.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Sat May 08, 2010 8:32 pm

I'm so happy for you!!! That's such wonderful news, and you know we don't get enough of that here.

Doxepin is one I don't think I've ever tried, so I'm going to add it to my list to ask about next appointment, depending on how this gabapentin trial goes (I'm sleeping a lot and my stomach's upset, so far).

I hope the good days continue and only get better and better for you, Charlotte! sunny flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Having GREAT success with Doxepin Empty success with doxipen

Post  rileyoday Sun May 09, 2010 4:45 am

Hello, how wonderful for you !! great price also !.. How long did you take before daily M stopped ? Also had you ever taken sleep aid ?

Do you feel sleeping soundly is why its working ? When I had sleep aids I dreamed vivid without any change, this is why I ask.

What do you use for the M you still have ?

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Post  theresae Sun May 09, 2010 9:27 am

this is great news its what keeps me going when i hear of someone havin some success, its another one i can add to my list to try when times are desperate, i hope its lasts and you have a great summer.
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Post  Stillhurtin Sun May 09, 2010 6:04 pm

Yay!! I'm soooo glad u r still feeling well Smile
I sent you a PM last week did u get it?
Stillhurtin
Stillhurtin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Tue May 11, 2010 8:04 am

I use vicoprofen 7.5 mg (vicoprofen is vicoden but with ibuprofen instead of acteminophen) for the M's I do get and Stadol if it's a particular doozy (but I haven't had to use the Stadol at all).

I used Lunesta as a sleep aid for two years but it never made any difference with my migraines. So there's something more to the Doxepin than just sleeping well. When I was taking the Lunesta I was also taking Xanax, but still getting almost daily M's.

I noticed a difference after being on it about 3 weeks.

I've gained five pounds, but I'm putting that more on quitting smoking than the doxepin.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Tue May 11, 2010 8:19 am

I didn't realize you had quit smoking, Charlotte. Good for you!!!!!! I love you sunny
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  theresae Tue May 11, 2010 11:47 am

Amazing isnt it that when we feel better we can tackle other things like quitting smoking, this post is most up lifting!!
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Tue May 11, 2010 12:29 pm

That is very good news!!! I'm glad for you. I am going to make an appointment with my neuro and ask about it. I also use amitriptyline which has done nothing but make me sleep good (which is a good thing) but nothing for my migraines. congrats on the smoking!!! That is a hard thing to do.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  sherri b Tue May 11, 2010 2:06 pm

Really happy for you Charlotte! It's great to read some positive thingsn on here! We all need it!
sherri b
sherri b

Back to top Go down

Post  LizzieB Tue May 11, 2010 2:08 pm

That's good news Charlotte that the Doxepin has helped so much. You sound so positive. Must be such a relief, I hope it continues.

I'm also bearing it in mind for when I next see my GP. I've recently come off an anti-convulsant as the side-effects were too dire and as things are still bad I'm thinking of going back on Amitriptyline as things were slightly better when I was on it. Apart from hating the drugged feeling when I was on it though, the weight gain was a big issue. I was always foraging for food. I hear that Doxepin can be even worse but then if it reduces the migraines perhaps it's worth putting up with and maybe it won't happen anyway.

Congratulations on the smoking too. What a change in your life!

Liz
LizzieB
LizzieB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down