migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The meds kind of worked...

+2
Pinkballerina
doximom
6 posters

Go down

The meds kind of worked... Empty The meds kind of worked...

Post  doximom Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:55 am

I promised to let you know how the meds worked. I went from taking nothing at all due to my stomach issues, to being prescribed an arsenal of meds to try.

This has been a bad week, migraine-wise, beginning with Easter on Sunday... I tried 1/2 a Frova as the neurologist recommended each morning and the head pain did not evolve, which is a good thing. I was able to teach a class with a migraine... only thing, I felt a little dizzy and "carsick" but it was better than having a full-blown migraine.

Today, I woke up with a slight headache that evolved into a "9" migraine by 10am. Pain was pretty bad. Of all days, today was not the day to get this -- I was asked to give a demonstration on ergonomics and stretches to do at your desk, etc. and I was paid in advance. I forgot to bring my Frova to work so I went to give the lecture with this level-9 pain, but I wasn't nauseous so I managed to get through it.

Right afterwards I discovered a Relpax sample in my bag and took it about an hour ago. Right now the pain is subsiding! I feel pretty sick -- a little nauseous and I feel kind of like gagging, but that pain is not as bad. I hope it continues to get better so I can finish the workday. I really, really don't want to leave early AGAIN.

Thank you for being there, guys.

doximom

Back to top Go down

The meds kind of worked... Empty Re: The meds kind of worked...

Post  Pinkballerina Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Sorry you feel so bad! I am right there struggling with you today. As of late, it seems I have more challenging days than good ones. Hang in there, and I hope things improved for you as the day wore on today.

Pinkballerina

Pinkballerina

Back to top Go down

Post  tortoisegirl Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:12 pm

So it sounds like a Triptan and something for nausea might be a good plan for you? I too still have that "off" feeling after a Triptan, but its sure better than nothing.

My gut is really slow and its often two hours for meds to work for me. I have dissolving Zofran (nausea med) which is a lifesaver, but I haven't yet tried one of the faster acting Triptans. I'll have to get on that with my doctor. I don't get too many actual migraines (a few a month), but my daily headache develops into stabbing pains that seem to respond to Triptans. We did however figure out that generic Imitrex is nearly as good as Relpax for me though (a bit more side effects), which is great as its much cheaper and I can get more at a time too (9 instead of 4).

I hope you continue to make progress with your migraines. Definitely ask about trying different samples to see which works best for you. It may not be just what relieves the most symptoms, but also, side effects, how fast it acts, cost, etc. Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Platypus Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:12 pm

Kate, I really am not stalking you Cool

For fast acting triptans you might like Sumavel - the air injectable Imatrex, I've also heard the pen is really good. I don't know if it's still the case, but the maker of Sumavel used to offer these discount cards you could get from your doctor (and maybe online?) that made the stuff practically free. Also, it seems like the per month limits are high. I used to just take two at a time, one in each hip. And I tell ya, it works great w/ coffee. I could actually knock out a pretty bad migraine and go to work after two shots of Sumavel and a strong cup of java.

Also the Maxalt dissolvable is great.

-Platy
Platypus
Platypus

Back to top Go down

Post  tortoisegirl Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:02 pm

Thanks-I remember trying Maxalt before, so thats probably first on my list (the dissolvable). Trying brand new meds makes me anxious I'll have some sort of reaction, although thank goodness nothing too bad has ever happened.

Air injectable sounds interesting. I definitely prefer pills though (more discrete / easier to deal with). I was shocked my insurance let me fill two different Triptans in a month.

Curious now if I could fill more than that, or one more than once. I wonder if taking them daily could be helpful for my daily headache. They seem to work at least for when the headache has the sharper pains.

I assume if I used them more often they would stop being helpful though, plus it takes a special sort of doctor to agree to that off label sort of use (but its not unheard of). I'm already on some out of the box treatments (methadone daily). Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Platypus Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:53 pm

There was a trial where daily Amerge was shown to be effective, but you can never get insurance to pay for enough triptans to use them daily.

Yeah the air-injectable isn't the most discrete. It makes a loud snap and you have to press it to your hip. But it is super quick to administer and works really fast.
Platypus
Platypus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:07 am

Truthfully, DH and I both thought the needle injection hurt less and was easier to self administer. The needle-less model hurt way more, and once DH jumped and lost at least half of the med because he didn't have it pressed firmly against his thigh. Plus, WAY cheaper, since it's generic as a needle device, but a brand for the needle-less.

I don't know if there's an exact number of meds the insurance company will let you get in a month, but at one point, I had the injections, relpax, frova, and cafergot, since I was struggling with near daily migraines. DH had the needle-less, maxalt and relpax, so between us both there were 7 fills of various migraine meds per month.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  Platypus Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:31 am

Like I said, you can (or could) get discount cards for Sumavel that make it super cheap.

I don't recommend it for men. Not enough subcutaneous fat on the hips -- does make it painful.
Platypus
Platypus

Back to top Go down

Post  Seaine Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:24 pm

On taking daily triptans, I have done so, or near enough, for about 10 years without any decrease in efficacy. They make my migraine go away, every single time, period. The number of times they have not worked I could count on my fingers.

Also, if you want to fill the same triptan more than once every 30 days, it may be possible with a doctor's request. I have been able to fill one every 20 days before. You really have to fight the insurance company and have your doctor fax a request though.

On another note, generic Imitrex is about $15 per box, at least here. I just fill it every 9 days and who cares if my insurance doesn't cover it.
Seaine
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Post  tortoisegirl Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:37 pm

I was shocked my insurance let me fill two Triptans in one month. Now I'm curious how much further I could go with it, or if I could fill the same one more than once. Good note on the now low cost of generic Imitrex. Glad to hear they haven't decreased in effectiveness for you. I'll probably start testing out if taking Triptans more often would be helpful for me. It was somewhat today. It takes a certain type of headache for me. Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down