migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This can not be, I really thought I was alone.

5 posters

Go down

This can not be, I really thought I was alone.   Empty This can not be, I really thought I was alone.

Post  Ruby Redkins Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:50 pm

Thank you cyberspace for letting me find you guys. I am and have been lost for 2.5 years with what seems like a constant migraine. It's changed my life, honestly, I'm sorry you guys have them too, but I'm so glad this forum exists, I've been desperate to just find people that can relate to me and what I'm going though, it's terrifying. I literally cried a few nights ago when I found this group. I think two years is nothing compared to having them my entire life. They started when I was 12 (1988), but went away mostly until I had my second child in 2007. Even then it was an ocassional day out of commission... Now? They won't let me go, I'm always just one smell or sound away from the mother migraine that takes me down instantly. I don't know how to live with this yet, I left a really great job in Savannah, GA and moved when my husband found a job here in FL where I can stay at home. I've lost friends, my family absolutely doesn't get it. My husband knows I'm hurting, but he doesn't get it. I have 3 small children, all girls, ages 6, 5 and almost 2, and daily migraines. YAY and HELP!!! I do my best and as someone else just put it, you muddle through because you have no choice. Yes, Mommy takes naps when they do and I'm learning triggers and being honest with my ids as age appropriately as possible. The 2nd neuro in GA said I have tried everything and if the zonegran didn't work, it was off to pain management I go. I have a lot of med allergies and med sensitivities which hasn't really helped with treatment. I can't even take Dimetapp without hallucinating. I ended up in the ER here recently, They referred me to internal medicine (does that make sense at all) and I'm now on amitriptyline, hoping it isn't so close to the nortiptyline I took when I was seeing my first neuro, that didn't help at all. I don't know much about serotonin, but I can't take SSRI's well, my brain misfires and stuff it's not fun! During, or possibly because of all this I was also diagnosed w/ hpb, and am allergic to beta blockers (ie. swolen face/tongue), but calcium channel blockers have it under control until the pain spikes. Oh I could go on and on, I have so many questions for you guys, but plan to read posts first. I was trying to figure out how to get in touch w/ migraine girl because I think it was her that I just read about with the natural progesterone and I truly believe my hormones are contributing to all this. It seems the migraines are starting earlier than just the few days before my period, I have had significant hormonal issues, had to take progesterone just to be able to carry my babies. Anywhoo. I'm Amie and new and scared and don't feel so alone, thank you. Now off to bed I go.

Ruby Redkins

Back to top Go down

This can not be, I really thought I was alone.   Empty Re: This can not be, I really thought I was alone.

Post  Jewishmother Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:50 pm

Amie - I am very glad that you found this site! It is only through contact with people on this site that I have kept my sanity. Please read through past posts and continue to post to ask questions or just to vent. I did want to give you word of advice........when you post it is better for lots of us migraineurs if you break up your post into smaller paragraphs - it will be easier for people to read and respond. Welcome again! Leslie
Jewishmother
Jewishmother

Back to top Go down

This can not be, I really thought I was alone.   Empty Re: This can not be, I really thought I was alone.

Post  Migrainegirl Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:34 pm

Hi Amie and welcome. Sadly you are definitely not alone. Most of us have had a lot of problems with the various meds. Side effect hell. I'm sure it is extra difficult taking care of little ones too.

I have had good benefit from taking progesterone. I'm currently trying a much more extensive round of hormone therapy. Hopefully I'll be able to report more on that over the next month or so. I found a naturalpathic doctor who focuses on hormones. You should be able to find one in Florida if you want to check that out. Most MDs don't know much about hormones I have found.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Angela0611 Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:54 pm

Hi Amie I'm new to this site, i just found it a few days ago. I've had migraines for 10 years now they've gotten worse in the last 3 years especially after my hysterectomy last year! I had them thru my teenage years they went away after I had my first child and came back with a vengeance after my second child. I have seen about 6 neuros n I currently have 2 neuros now one where I live in Bakersfield and one in Los Angeles oh and I see a Bio feedback doctor too. I've had Botox which helped for a while but stopped. I also have a lot of allergies and am sensitive to many medications they put me on, they work to prevent the migraines but i get all the side effects or allergic to them. Im currently on Topomax 200 mg but i have ALL the side effects, weight loss, confusion, mental and speech problems n more, I call it Dopomax, or stuck on stupid!! But seems to help some what but side effects are bad, its the reason I was taken off work, sometimes I would drive to the wrong house or forget how to shut down a computer at work! Its so bad my doctor put me on Adderral to help me with the memory loss n it surprisingly it does help! But anyways you are not alone and it is frustrating, I've even had suicidal thoughts, having migraines 3-4 times a week sometimes longer and being in bed all the time and not living your life and hearing your kids saying "mommy has a headache again" is not worth living! Luckily I have a great family MD that tells me not to give up and then I found this site and started reading some of the posts and I am not alone!!
Angela

Angela0611

Back to top Go down

Post  peep Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:35 pm

Hi all. Like Amie I started having migraines about 2 ½ years ago AND I live in Florida. I was terrified the first time I had a migraine. It was a Sunday. I almost went to the ER, but waited till the morning and went to my GP. I get horrible nausea every time. It is never just a headache. Complete misery. This week has been the worst ever so I came looking for you guys! I am sad we are all in this club, but as you said, glad I am not alone. BTW, I am 46 and surgically menopausal since 40. I tend to not blame hormones as I have been on steady HRT (Prempro) since my surgery. I will however take another look at it.

I am on my second neurologist. The first one was a joke. He would not listen to me when I told him how sensitive to odors I am and how I think they are my trigger. He literally shook his head at me. He told me "No, I see you clench your jaw. You need a mouth guard". I tried a second time to get through to him and then gave up. BTW, I did get a mouth guard eventually because my dentist recommended it. It didn't help at all with the migraines. Shocked

I saw my 2nd neuro 2 days ago. He is the opposite of the first guy. After actually listening to me and talking to me at length, he prescribed topamax. He wants me to take a low dose for 8 weeks at which time I will see him again. He thinks since I am 46 and have "only had migraines for 2 ½ years”, he may be able to get me to stop having them. I don't know what to think about that, but I like his optimism. He prescribed 50mg tabs. I am to take a 1/2 tab once a day for a week and then whole tabs once a day the next 7 weeks.

He warned me about the memory issues. That is the last thing anyone needs. I am particularly concerned as I am ADD. I already take Adderall. Not severe ADD, but enough to have no trouble getting Adderall prescribed. I have a high pressure job, so I will have to keep a close eye on this.

Thank you all for sharing!
peep
peep

Back to top Go down

Post  Angela0611 Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:45 pm

Hi Peep

I'm not Adhd/ADD, but I am in Topamax 200 mg and I was prescribed Adderral to help with the memory loss. To my surprise and my Doctors it has helped a bit, though I still get stuck in stupid sometimes. Topamax has horrible side effects but for some reason seems to control my migraines a little more than all the other 40 meds I have tried! I'm either allergic or highly sensitive to many meds I have tried to prevent them.

Have you looked into Botox? That helped me for a year until I assume my body got used to it cuz it no longer works for me. But it did help and has worked for other migraine patients!

I'm sorry you too are suffering from migraines, I've been dealing with them for about 12 years, I'm 36 yrs old and my whole life revolves around them!

Angela0611

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down