migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Visual aura seems to be repeating over and over...this is new!

2 posters

Go down

Visual aura seems to be repeating over and over...this is new! Empty Visual aura seems to be repeating over and over...this is new!

Post  living Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:15 pm

Hi there,

I'm having an aura for the past few days that just seems like a normal aura, starts small, scintilating scotoma as per usual and builds to obscure half the visual field or so over 30 - 40 minutes then fades. Along with it I had about 6 hours of some pretty unusual experiences of altered consciousness a couple of days ago where I wasn't entirely able to tell the difference between images and thoughts which were real memories or memories from a dream - so that's not something I've experienced before. It could have been anxiety mixed in there too but I think there was definitely some neurological stuff with not being able to get 100% conscious from a light dream state - I would feel like I was conscious but then a few minutes later couldn't be sure that what I'd thought or said actually happened - so I guess that might be a 'confusional migraine?'.

Now though, this aura is in the visual cortex as per usual but seems to do it's thing, then after a few minutes or hours it resets and repeats. I get pain as well but not very severely - this is not the usual course of migraine for me.

I'm a bit frightened by the change - that sense of not being familiar with this is a bit scary. Could this be a cluster? If anyone feels like sharing their experience of a strange change in their migraines I'd appreciate the support. If anyone else experiences that strange light dream state of not being able to distinguish what reality from thought processes/memory I'd also appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,
Living

living

Back to top Go down

Visual aura seems to be repeating over and over...this is new! Empty Re: Visual aura seems to be repeating over and over...this is new!

Post  loveisdivine Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:36 am

Hi,

I'm new here but I'm currently experienceing something similar. Well similar to the aura's repeating bit. My usual pattern is to have a migraine episode every 3 or 4 months. This is my 3rd this year. The usually last 2 or 3 days and I have numerous aura's during this time. Sometimes I get the headache, sometimes (like this one) I dont reall get one.

Curently though I've had 4 auras since Friday evening. More than usual. I dont know if it means anything. Havent had one yet this morning but my vision is a little off. I keep thinking an aura is starting, I can see it in my peripheral vision, but it doesnt form into a full aura. I'm hoping that means its easing off.

My biggest problem is the anxiety I get from worrying about aura's. I know theres nothing I can do but I worry about stroke and brain damage etc.

loveisdivine

Back to top Go down

Visual aura seems to be repeating over and over...this is new! Empty Re: Visual aura seems to be repeating over and over...this is new!

Post  living Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:39 pm

Hi Love,

Thanks for your reply - what you're experiencing sounds very much like what I'm experiencing. I can understand your worry and anxiety, I find it scary too having these intense neurological symptoms. For what it's worth, I've searched the internet and found no evidence that anyone has had brain damage from aura. I wouldn't want to make a bet that really intense symptoms couldn't burn out a few neurons - but given that aura seems to be seated in sensory cortex I think we'd notice pretty quickly if it did (there'd be gaps in our vision, or since the brain is pretty good at filling in gaps, we might start tripping over stuff!).

Lights seem to keep triggering off my visual aura and here I am looking at the computer screen, silly me. Just wanted to say thanks for the reply but I'll get off until this darn aura is a bit less reactive.

Cheers,
Living

living

Back to top Go down

Post  loveisdivine Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:30 am

I hope you're feeling better this morning Living. I still have a few small sun spots in my vision and a very mild tension headache but other than that I feel good today. I dont feel like another aura/scotoma is going to happen.

Could it be possible that the aura stage of the migraine is lasting days? Or do you think it could be all seperate migraines? I dont have any theories yet for you're unusual symptoms in between scotomas.

loveisdivine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down