migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I think I need a new neuro

3 posters

Go down

I think I need a new neuro Empty I think I need a new neuro

Post  sailingmuffin Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:32 am

Hi All,

I had the IV of Depakan on tuesday and it has helped some- basically it got the headache to go down from the Absolutely Unbearable to the bearable and functional level. (ok, went in wth a 9/10, now 7.5-8/10.) It was still effective, but not as effective as it has been in the past.

This treatment- IV fluids, IV Depakan, benedryl, phenergan, toradol and morphine has helped for about 6 years now. Believe me, I am glad it still helps some. However, I really would like to get some new ideas or see if there is anything else that might help. My current neuro is good, but he is cutting way back on hours. He also basically stuck with the same treatment plan the old neuro had and pretty much the same meds too.

I know that my situation is kind of unusual. But right now, I think another opinion might be helpful. I was hoping that my old neuro, who just returned to UAB, would be able to help, but he is basically doing trials now and isn't seeing patients.

I feel kind of stuck now. I am not sure where to go next or who would be able to help me. All I want is a doctor who isn't terribly far away who may have some ideas about new or different treatments. I also know that the fainting makes everything more complicated. I was able to see the Dr who runs the headache clinic while I was at the Cleveland Clinic last yer. All he said was- "Well, you have been on about 70 medications for this headache, so I doubt the 71st will help. I can't even let you in to the program due to the fainting. If you did come back- we would take you off everything and see if anything helps as you are in rebound. Maybe you should go back to one of the inpatient clinics." My father then said, "you know, we havee done that and it really didn't help. You also came out on more medication than you went in on." He is right about this.

I have been to most of the major headache clinics over the past fourteen years- Diamond, MHNI, and Jefferson. The only one that helped was Jefferson. Dr S there was the one who suggested the stimulator and that has helped.

I am just not sure where to go from here. I haven't looked in to Emory yet, but I will.

I welcome any ideas or advice.

Pain free days.
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

I think I need a new neuro Empty Re: I think I need a new neuro

Post  Mini Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:19 pm

Sorry Sailing, I do not have any practical ideas for you, since I live in UK and do not know any Dr near you to suggest to you. But I think that at times when we feel so completely stuck, almost any change will do us good.
At the moment I am in a process of changing my GP and it is very scary, as I am not sure what will happen next in case my new GP will be as wooden and useless as my current one.

I still miss my previous GP who was great and whom I lost when I moved to this area and ended up with this uselss smiling dummy.

I know it is a risk, but at times change can be great.
This happened to me with my neuros. I did have to change becasue my last neuro was leaving the hospital and moving away, but the new neuro is even better and really has time to discuss things properly and never rushes you, which is great. The main thing is that I trust him, becasue he treats me seriously, listens to my concerns and is never patronising when he explains things, even when he cannot help. On the other hand I understand that medical knowledge concerning M only goes so far, and no further. BUt this does not mean that we must stop trying.

BTW I disagree with that Dr about 70 medicines, I would definitely go for that 71st, just because in the end, we would never know until we try.

I hate to give advice anyway, as ultimately it will be your personal decision that matters in the end, I just wanted to tell you that I understand your dilemma and wish you all the best.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:54 pm

A call to Emory is probably worth a try at this point. You've really got nothing to lose.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down