migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neurological Headache Classes?

5 posters

Go down

Neurological Headache Classes? Empty Neurological Headache Classes?

Post  mxgo Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:45 pm

My PCP has aked me, if I want to attend a Neurological Headache Class: I am with Kaiser. Has anybody attended one? If so, what can I expect?

My problem, the drive (45 minutes) on a good day is Ok, but a not so good day, it's too far. And sitting in an upright position, in the class, will make my chronic headache worse. I use a recliner, that is much better for my head. I am also sensitive to noise, another trigger that will make my headache worse.

I've tried a chronic pain class, they taught tai chi, yoga, meditation, and etc. I do the meditation and stretching twice a day:every day. Tai Chi about three times a week. You get the idea.

I just wonder if a Neurological Headache Class would more of the same?

Anybody?

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Neurological Headache Classes? Empty Re: Neurological Headache Classes?

Post  tortoisegirl Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:48 pm

So is this just classroom based? I've more so heard of pain rehab sort of clinics, often in patient, where they do a mix of classroom, group therapy, exercise, meditation, etc (sounds more like what you did before?). Sometimes combined with drug treatment or tapering a patient off their meds. I don't think I would go to some class to learn more about headache treatment or how to cope or whatever. If it was something practical based with biofeedback, group sessions, etc, I'd be game. What specifically does your doctor think you'd get out of this?

With the potential to increase your pain, I'd want some good evidence of why you couldn't get this information elsewhere. I haven't been offered anything like this, but then again, I haven't gone to any big name clinics. How long is this class, and how often? A one day half day class would be different than all day every day for a week or something. Sounds like you may not have enough info yet. Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:14 am

Who am I kidding? No matter what they teach, I can not do it. Some days, going to the grocery store is hard enough.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  dcook60 Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:09 am

martin, i think you are being very realistic. sitting in classes is usually bad for our heads, and the driving there is also problematic.

as tortoisegirl suggested, can you get more particulars from your doc? they might use a textbook or handouts from which you could get ideas.

sounds to me as if you've tried all the stuff they told you to do, previously. i do hope your PCP is understanding as to why you will not go to this class. dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:31 pm

Yes, Dianne, making sure my PCP understands why I can not go to the class is important. If not, they will consider you an "uncooperative patient."

My previous PCP and the Chronic Pain Management doctor have already given me that label.

A while back my neuro, who lead such a group of headache patients, did mention the class. He said that some of the patients, were trying different things for their headaches. Me, I think I reach a lot more people here on this forum.

Thanks for the input.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:17 pm

Hi,

Here is what I would suggest, especially in light of the "uncooperative" label. Can you talk to the leader of the group and find out what the class is really about and how it might help you? The fact that it is entitled Neurological Headache is also concerning. I am a member of a pain support group here- but most of what we do is talk, have a few progrrams, play games, and stuff. But mostly, we try to focus on fun stuff and it is helpful.

Still, if it is just a basic class on headache- you could probably teach it. The only thing that is concerning is the fact you might be labeled as "uncooperative." I am not sure what this means in your case, but I don't think it is good. (It is also what drs have said to me when they have run out of ideas.) Maybe you could go to one class and say, "look, this isn't helping me" or something.

I hate that you have to go through this. I hate the fact that so many of us have to jump through hoops just to prove that we need treatment.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:00 pm

SM, your description of your group, pretty well matches what my neurologist said: people sit around and talk about what they are trying for their headaches.

I will email, my PCP, and say in a nice way, that my neurologist, who lead the group, did mention the class. However, when I mentioned that I had attended a Chronic Pain Group (locally sponsored my HMO), he did not pursue the matter further.. And I will also say that my triggers; sitting upright in a chair, noise sensitivity, and how difficult the trip would be for me on "a not good day," would make my headache worse. Also, I would have to travel on one the busiest traffic corridors in our area.

Today is a good example, while my headaches are now, not too bad, I had to decline a lunch, the head was not too bad, but not good enough to go to a noisy restaurant. He is a friend of some 40 years, whose company I really enjoy. We worked in the same profession, restored old cars, political junkies, did similar home improvement projects, and etc. But, I guess all of us forum members have similar stories.

I hope you are feeling better and now that Dora is back, your days will be better.

Thanks for the input.

Martin

mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:43 am

Hi,

I think telling your PCP about your previous experiences wth the pain management group is good. With all the triggers to get there and back, it might be do more harm than good.

The pain group I belong to is great. Everyone in the group has either a stimulator or a pain pump. Most of the time, we don't just focus on talking about pain- we try to focus on the positive. Of course, if we vent and laugh about it while doing something else, that is good too. Sometimes we have a speaker. Most of the time we play some games, eat, talk etc. We also make gift bags to hang out to patients in the hospital for Christmas. For me, it is a great thing. We have several members who can't make it if they are having a bad day or live too far away. Still, it might not be your thing.

Dora is still in School about 40 miles away. She is learning obedience, what to do when I fall etc. She is really sweet. When I saw her yesterday, I was amazed at how much she has learned in just a few weeks. Her trainer also trains most of the police dogs around here. Her husband is the sheriff and i am told that Dora is adored by most of the officers.

Pain free says
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:28 pm

Well in spite of me, telling my PCP, why I could not make it to the headache class, he asked, if I would go, if referred.

I told him, No, "toughing it out." is how I broke my knee, the first year of the headache. I also mentioned that this type of headache is like a hangover that never goes away. I have a constant headache (New Daily Persistent Headache), at higher pain levels I am slightly dizzy, slightly nauseaous, muscles get very tight, and feel slightly off-balance when walking. And I carry a cane in my car, for those "not so good" days.

I wonder if I will be looking for a new PCP, or probably be referred to a pyschologist. I don't think he understands this type of headache.

Thanks for reading my rant, it helps.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:38 pm

Martin,

I'm like you, spending a good portion of my days in a recliner because straight-back chairs aggravate my neck and migraines. I'm unable to drive myself 40 miles. I've been through most of these classes already.

I think a sit-down with your doctor to discuss this in a heart-to-heart discussion of what's realistic at this point in your treatment is the best way to handle it. He should be understanding and realize that you've tried everything and know what your limits are at this point.

The "uncooperative' label is so concerning. Insurance companies are making things quite difficult.

Hang in there and best of luck in working through this obstacle.
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:24 am

I decided to switch PCPs. My HMO also has osteopaths as PCPs. My new PCP's speciality is neuro-muscular-skeletal imbalances.

He may be a better fit for me, since the most relief I've had from the headaches has been muscle relaxants and alternative type physical therapies like, trigger point massage, Bowen, and Myfascial Release.

I had mentioned the above, to my previous PCP and neuro, but they did not think of referring me to somebody who looks at neuro-muscular-skeletal imbalances.

I guess that is the nature of things, some doctors do not look beyond their specialities. We have to be our own advocates. But, that has it's downside, because, if you start suggesting possible treatment approaches, they get upset.

Martin

Last edited by mxgo on Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down