migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WILL I DIE DUE TO MIGRAINE?

+9
marco1968
Sara79
Kate
Mini
sherri b
Migrainegirl
lesherb
freak032173
Shakil Ahmad
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

WILL I DIE DUE TO MIGRAINE? - Page 2 Empty Re: WILL I DIE DUE TO MIGRAINE?

Post  lesherb Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:06 am

Shakil,

First off....I have not heard from any of the places I have emailed. I am beginning to think I can only give you the information I find and you will have to contact them. I am so sorry.

As for the waking with headache pain, that is not unusual. I have heard it can be related to sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is when you snore and your throat closes off due to the relaxation of your throat tissues. You stop breathing momentarily and then make a snort sound and start breathing again. Your wife will be able to tell you if you do this in your sleep.

It causes daytime sleepiness, too as you are waking up multiple times per night catching your breath (even if you don't remember it). Another cause could be blood pressure. Are you taking your tenormin every day? It sounds like you only take it if your blood pressure is high. That is not how to take it. If you are on blood pressure medication, you have to take it every day, preferably at the same time.

I'm sure you are well educated on the different types of headaches. In case you are not, this link will describe the different kinds there are: http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20327041,00.html

You need to find out what your triggers are. Then you need to have a physical examination by a doctor to make sure there are no other health concerns. Then you need to try preventative medications. I know this is pretty much impossible for you, in your situation.

How much does it cost to have a normal doctor visit (without any medical tests performed)?

£eslie

lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Shakil Ahmad Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:46 am

total monthly income 150 dollars.. (RS 15000) doctor takes 15 to 20 dollars for one visit.(RS 1500 to 2000) it is fact. not medicine include. kitchen, transport, laundry electric bill gas bill water bill much more in 125 dollars.it is very very very very difficult to live in Pakistan. it is very difficult to consult the doctors. So it is my answer to your question. Shakil

Shakil Ahmad

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:30 pm

Wow, Shakil. That is heart breaking. Does your wife work? Is that not possible in your culture? You have probably told me about this long ago but I've forgotten.

Are your children grown? Do they help you pay for things?

Are you living in the same home as when we first met?
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Shakil Ahmad Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:26 am

My wife does not work due to our culture. I have 2 sons and 1 daughter 14 years. elder son is working job he takes 120 dollars per month. Last year he married. he and his wife live in my house. . In 120 dollars he also helps me and gives me 50 dollars for expenses. Daughter admitted in charity school free of cost. 8 years ago I bought old bricks old iron second hand doors which I got very cheap. I made my house my self with the help of my son and wife. I did not hire any mason any laborer because I had no money to pay them. .. I all done in severe migraine. Slowly slowly In 5 years I made my house. If you come in Pakistan please come to my house. I and my wife welcome you. I can not think to come USA because fare is about 1500 dollars . It is equal to my 10 month income. Living expensive is much more. In migraine I can not travel. ................................. No doctor will response to your mail because they are greedy. Money is their God. Man-y people die in Pakistan the bad behavior of Doctors. Their are still honest doctors but they are very very less........................... Shakil Ahmad

Shakil Ahmad

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:28 am

Shakil, I don't know what you have access to, but Ibuprofen with coffee helps somewhat. For me it takes the edge off.

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:51 am

Shakil, It is very sad to learn that most doctors in your country are so uncaring. In the United States, we have a program that provides health care insurance to people in poverty. You would have to be extremely poor to qualify which means a lot of people with very modest incomes make to much money to qualify.

How do you access the Internetl? Do you have a computer at home with an Internet connection? I don't mean to question your priorities but isn't it too expensive for you?

If you do have Internet service at home (as opposed to going to a café or something), have you heard of ebay? It's an online auction site. Depending on you or your wife's ability, you could sell things at ebay.

Here is a link to learn about it: http://www.magurdu.com/roman/ebay-pakistan-india-6.html

Of course you would have to try it out slowly to see what items are popular. If your wife can make blankets or pillows, dresses or hats, you might be able to sell them. There is no limite to the types of items you can sell.

There are some not so nice people who take advantage, so you would have to be careful. You should insist upon full payment before shipping any items to the buyer, that sort of thing.

Thank you for the invitation to your home. I am afraid I will never be in Pakistan. I am terrified of flying and we don't have enough money for a trip so far away anyway. My traveling is limited to where we can go with our car. I wish things were different as I would love to visit all over this beautiful world of ours. Thank your wife for me, for her generous offer. May I ask what her first name is?

£eslie
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Shakil Ahmad Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:09 pm

we are here 10 person who use the computer. we all pay 10 dollars per month. So I pay one Dollar per month . PTCL STUDENT PACKAGE. computer is in my room.when I feel some better from migraine I open the computer. other wise my son use it. I opened the website you sent .... my wife can not work she is sick woman. Last month operation of Hernia cost me 700 dollars. I sold her jewllery to pay the hospital. She is still feeling pain. She can not write or speak or read English. She is very angry with the doctor who operated her hernia.12 stitches were not done properly . 7 inches long cut on the obdomin was very painful to her. I repeat here again that the doctors are very very greedy. they only want money. Money is there God. Some time doctor says I remove the Hernia and some time doctor says I repair the Hernia. Difficult for me to believe the doctors statement. You should proud that you are in USA not in Pakistan. President and the prime minister are crypt est person in Pakistan. You can read the Pakistan English news papers. On 25 July prime minister will be terminated by the court. My mean is here that Every govt person is try to make more more money by hook and crook. Doctors are also included. Shakil Ahmad

Shakil Ahmad

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:37 pm

Shakil,

I am sorry to hear your wife is unwell, too. Doctors here in the United States can be greedy but I believe most of them are fair and decent people. I am extremely fortunate that I am covered by health insurance and my husband's income allows me to pay for the amounts that are not covered. Yes, I am proud of my country.

There is a magazine in the US called "Neurology Now". They have an article in their most recent issue entitled "Neurology News: New migraine guidelines from the American Academy of Neurology". You can read the article here at this link:

http://journals.lww.com/neurologynow/Fulltext/2012/08030/Neurology_News__New_migraine_guidelines_from_the.13.aspx

If you have any trouble understanding any of it, please just ask me. I will try to help you with it. It has some information about things that work which do no require a doctor's prescription (for example magnesium tablets). The article won't cure you but you may find something you have not tried yet.

Wishing you my best,
£eslie
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

WILL I DIE DUE TO MIGRAINE? - Page 2 Empty More Info

Post  lesherb Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:40 pm

Shakil, I just took a peek at the "Neurology Now" website. They have a list of articles about migraine. Go here:

http://journals.lww.com/neurologynow/Pages/collectiondetails.aspx?TopicalCollectionId=6

to see a list of articles with links to them.

£eslie
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:33 pm

Shakil, sadly it is not everyone in US that can afford health insurance, often sick people who need it most are refused the insurance cover, or cannot afford high payments. In fact over 50 million American are without any health insurance. If you wish to read more about it, here is an interesting article on the subject: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-16/americans-without-health-insurance-rose-to-52-million-on-job-loss-expense.html

Even people who are insured are often refused treatemnts, because they are told that they are not covered for it, we see it here on this forum quite often. People often die a painful death form serious conditions such as cancer, if they cannot afford a doctor.

President Obama is trying to introduce a new system which will give insurance cover to almost all Americans, but he is being opposed in this, by other politicians. It will be intresting to see the outcome.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  Shakil Ahmad Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:56 pm

what is the name of medicine which is given immediately to migraine patient to remove the pain. For example paracetamol is suggestive immediately to reduce the fever . Asprine for light headache. banadril syp for cough and so on..... AND WHAT TABLET OR INJECTION FOR IMMEDIATE REMOVE FOR MIGRAINE PAIN??? Shakil Ahmad

Shakil Ahmad

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:53 am

For many of us Sumatriptan works ever time. I have been given it for the first time more then 10 years ago, and it was the first medication that completely stopped the pain. I was beside myself with joy.

Nothing before, or since worked in this way, and I it is still working for me today. The only difference is, that nowadays it takes a little longer to take effect.

Sumatriptan has been developed as the only medication which was designed to work especially for migraine, and nothing else.
Unllike paikillers which only work partially to relieve migraine, and never, ever really clear up the pain completely for me.

But like everything about migraine, even sumtariptan does not work for everyone, although so far Sumatriptan has been proven to be one of the most effective migraine treatments there is.

Sumatriptan is not a painkiller, it works on the blood vessels in the brain and it belongs to a group of other anti-migraine medicines called triptans. Triptans have often different names, in different countries, but Sumatriptan name is used by pharmacologists (chemists) in all countries.

I hope this information helps.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:04 am

Shakil, The triptan drugs that abort migraine headaches are:

Sumatriptan (Imitrex)
Frovatriptan (Frova)
Almotriptan (Axert)
Rizatriptan (Maxalt)
Zolmitriptan (Zomig)
Eletriptan (Relpax)
Sumatriptan & Naprosyn (Treximet)

These are some other medications used to abort a migraine attack.

Dihydroergotamine (D.H.E. 45 Injection, Migranal Nasal Spray)
Ergotamine tartrate (Cafergot)

This link will take you to the Mayo Clinic website (Mayo is a world class hospital organization). You should find even more info here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/migraine-headache/ds00120/dsection=treatments-and-drugs

Have you heard of rebound headache? It is also known as medication overuse headache. This link will describe it to you. I have gone through it before and it is awful.

http://headaches.about.com/od/allheadpaintype1/a/med_overuse_ha.htm

£eslie

lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

WILL I DIE DUE TO MIGRAINE? - Page 2 Empty Another idea

Post  Mini Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:28 am

Shakil, I forgot to add something important.
There is something else that you might want to try. It is a short course of Prendisolone, which could help you to break the cycle of a continuous pain. Yuu can read more about it in this link:

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/prednisolone.html

Prendisolone is also cheap and generally easily available, as it terats amny different conditions, but you need to seek some further mediacal advice before you take it, because it is a steroid, which means that it can have some serious side effects, and also clash with some other medications you might be taking. You should not take it all the time, but you might find it a blessing when you need an occasional "holiday" from pain.
I hope you find it helful, as many of us do, when a long cycle of pain develops, for whatever reason.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  Shakil Ahmad Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:41 pm

Sumatriptan (Imitrex)
Frovatriptan (Frova)
Almotriptan (Axert)
Rizatriptan (Maxalt)
Zolmitriptan (Zomig)
Eletriptan (Relpax)
I checked these medicine on internet . I could not find in any shop in Pakistan Please help me to find these medicines in Pakistan.

Shakil Ahmad

Back to top Go down

Post  Shakil Ahmad Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:55 pm

PREDNISOLONE
Alternate Brands
PFIZER LABORATORIES LTD.
Brand Category Drug Form Packing Trade Price (Rs.) Retail Price (Rs.)
PREDNISOLONE 18.1 [Prednisolone and Prednisone:5mg] Tabs 25s 0.00 27.06 prednisolone I found on internet. 80 tablets in One Dollar. It is very cheap. Now I will start it. I have also Asthma since last 3 years. Perhaps it is due to Migril ???. Shakil

Shakil Ahmad

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:15 am

Shakil, the triptan medications are by prescription only here in the States. I don't have any idea how you would obtain them without seeing a doctor. The prednisone also requires a prescription.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Shakil Ahmad Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:32 am

In pakistan every one get any medicine with out prescription. please only tell me where is medicine available in Pakistan. {imitrex) I want to try sumatription tablets or injection. I hope imitrex will be cheap in pakistan. but I could not find it in medical stores. I am doing all thi s because I am in worst condition due to migraine pain.

Shakil Ahmad

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:12 am

Okay, I will get right on it for you.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:25 am

Shakil, I cannot seem to find any websites for pharmacies in Pakistan (Lahore). Surely you must know of a few stores near you. Can you call them and ask if they have Imitrex and if not, ask if they have any triptan medications? I will list them triptans here:

Sumatriptan (Imitrex)
Frovatriptan (Frova)
Almotriptan (Axert)
Rizatriptan (Maxalt)
Zolmitriptan (Zomig)
Eletriptan (Relpax)

The name in parenthesis is the brand name in the United States. The other name is the generic name for the drug. All of these are triptans and act in a similar way. Frova takes longer to start working but it also lasts longer. Maxalt comes in a tablet which you place under your tongue. You then allow it to dissolve....do not chew it. Imitrex comes in different strengths (25 mg, 50 mg and 100 mg).

If you manage to get any of these drugs, please only take one at a time. They can affect your heart so you should never take more than one in a 24 hour period.

Please let me know how you make out.
£eslie
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:55 am

Shakil, I want you to look more closely at the side effects of taking Prednisolone, because they can be quite serious, expecially if you take it too often, or over long period of time. So, you must NEVER, ever do that, as it can make you very sick, and affect your bones and stomach as well as cause some other long term problems.

However, if your Doctor agrees, it can be all right to take it once, or twice a year, over maximum 6 days. This might help to break the cycle of chronic pain and allow you to try some other medicines.

If you take Prednisolone, say 30mg on the first day, followed by 5mg for the rest of the week, with the permission from your Dr, it could be quite helpful.
Please don't be tempted to take it too often! It can be bad for you.

About Sumatriptan becasue I live in UK we can also buy Sumatriptan without prescription at the pharmacy, but first they will ask you questions about the history of your headaches, before they sell it to you.
Unfortunately Sumatriptan is a very, very expensive, as one tablet costs £8.00.
(I am lucky, because I get it on the prescription from my Doctor, and so I don't have to pay for it, otherwise I could not afford it).

I hope that you find something that works and helps you, Shakil.
Mini

Last edited by Mini on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:05 pm

Shakil? Are you okay?
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Shakil Ahmad Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:24 am

since last 2 week i am in migraine pain. my son daughter and wife are with me. no medicine works. only strong press my head feel me some rest from pain. Thank you all my migraine friends to take care me specially lesherb. Shakil Ahmad

Shakil Ahmad

Back to top Go down

Post  Shakil Ahmad Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:42 am

Any one of you have experience to press the head by own hands or others hands? To feel some better for few moments from migraine pain. Before marriage my mother and father sister and brothers were ready to press my head . After marriage my wife sons and daughter do this job. All the night and day my family help me in pain and it is continuously since 50 years. All it is due to family system in Pakistan. Otherwise it was very difficult for me to survive due to severe pain. I do not know your family system is like our family system?. Shakil Ahmad

Shakil Ahmad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:39 am

YES! My husband and I both will do this, and it does help momentarily. I'm glad it's helping, but I really wish there was something more that could be done to help you.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next