migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ER shots that work?

5 posters

Go down

ER shots that work? Empty ER shots that work?

Post  chelle8178 Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:12 am

Just curious...those days, nights, when you have those blinding, killer migraines and end up in the ER, what is in your shot cocktail of choice? I know a lot of people swear by Toradol, but I gotta tell ya, does nothing for me. Neither does morphine or any of the other narcotics. DHE along with benedryl usually work and some phenegrin (sp) for vomiting/nausea. So what works for you??
chelle8178
chelle8178

http://fuzzyredbees.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

ER shots that work? Empty ER shots that work?

Post  Cindy*W Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:31 am

I get Demerol and Vistaril at my doctors office and while that works well most of the time, they just won't give that at the Er.

So, I get Nubain and Vistaril at the ER and it works great about 90% of the time.

The few times it didn't work, they gave me Fentanyl but I didn't like the way it made me feel.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Cindy
Cindy*W
Cindy*W

Back to top Go down

ER shots that work? Empty Re: ER shots that work?

Post  tortoisegirl Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:06 am

Unfortunately the couple times I have gone I didn't find anything that helped too much (plus the whole act of leaving the house and going to the ER and waiting makes me worse), but I have a couple related tips. I'd work with your doctor to come up with some ideas. Have him or her write a letter of recommendations for you to take to the ER. I've heard often the docs there defer to it since your doctor knows you better then they do. You asking for anything (or even saying X, Y, and Z I've tried before didn't work) may seen more like drug seeking behavior to them. Even better is if you can get something set up at an urgent care or your doctor's office to have less noise and wait time, or have rescue meds (injectable or suppository) at home. My doctors have never been able to do anything in office for me or give me rescue meds unfortunately. Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  dcook60 Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:08 am

i swore off ER visits years ago, because i always came home worse then when i went. oh, i might feel a tiny bit better (the nurses and docs quiz you and almost DEMAND that you are better, so i think a person convinces herself). then you go home and the pain returns with a vengeance.

as a person suffering with this disorder for 43 years now, i envy those who actually get some long-lasting help at the ER. i guess i've had everything they had to offer, in several locations, except DHE. long ago i did try an oral form of dihydroergotamine, and it also did nothing.

time is the only thing that works for me, and it's so much easier to just stay home and suffer, rather than hassle with the car trip and increased nausea, barf pan, peeking out from the sleeping mask so i can walk with assistance, etc. and then waiting endlessly until you are called, because usually there are people in the ER with injuries needing help more immediately.

pain........well, you know, it's not an emergency, is it? at least not in the triage model of needs.

if something does work for you, the advice to have a written plan of action from your doctor is invaluable. dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

ER shots that work? Empty thanks all

Post  chelle8178 Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:05 pm

Thanks all for your responses! I hope I won't have to go back to the ER any time soon, but, if I do, at least I have a list now to give my hubby to hand to the nurse. : )
chelle8178
chelle8178

http://fuzzyredbees.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

ER shots that work? Empty ER Shots

Post  laquitha98 Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:50 am

I don't usually go to the ER but to my primary doctor for shots. I used to go and get demerol shots (when I had a ride home) and they worked wonderfully, until their office went "narcotic" free. Now they give me a combo shot of Imitrex & Torodal along with another injection of fenagren for nausea. I come home and sleep for a few hours, wake up and the migraine is gone. Since it is non- narcotic I don't have to worry about having someone drive me, unless it SO horrible that I can't drive myself there.

laquitha98

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down