migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to find where the problem lies. (Triggers. Waking with pain)

+11
Ivy
Mule Kick
Paradox
Kate
prairierose
tecky
sherri b
ajr
CluelessKitty
rileyoday
pen
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How to find where the problem lies. (Triggers. Waking with pain) - Page 2 Empty Re: How to find where the problem lies. (Triggers. Waking with pain)

Post  pen Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:56 am

hi ivy.
Sorry this is from my phone can't look at pc screen.
Thank you for this info.
No one has ever taken me through a process such as you describe.

I am sorry if I confused you.
For myself I would like to find a cause because there is no family history.

Howeve, You are right. Triggers would be the most help, as without them I assume I wouldn't have the problem.
I seem to have no triggers at all.

To find even one thing that might improve would be wonderful

Hh
H

pen

Back to top Go down

How to find where the problem lies. (Triggers. Waking with pain) - Page 2 Empty Re: How to find where the problem lies. (Triggers. Waking with pain)

Post  prairierose Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:38 am

The fact that you suffer from "comorbid" conditions does not mean that such
conditions are linked, or caused by the same problem. I suffer from arthritis.
Is it linked to migraines. I think not.

Estrogen is the hormone that primes the neurological/vascular system
for a migraine. A sudden drop in the estrogen
level is thought to be a trigger for migraine. An estrogen
patch is an illusion of steady state estrogen. The level
of estrogen on day 1 is not the same as the level on day 3.
A very hot bath can deactivate the estrogen in the patch,
and you can have a drop in estrogen levels in your blood,
thus triggering a migraine. You can get a bum patch and
your estrogen level can drop.

With a patch your system is always primed for a migraine,
and when the patch fails, for whatever reason, bingo, your estrogen
level falls and a migraine results. I will repeat that if you are of menopausal
age, your body does not need the levels of estrogen that you
needed at age 30 or 40. You are taking a big chance with the
rest of your health by continuing to take it.

I have a 50+ year history of migraine. I remember getting them
when I was 4 or 5 years old. I do not choose to accept that there is
no reason for my migraines. I do my best to avoid my triggers.
But I do not fool myself in thinking I can figure what causes them.
Never mind what causes IBS and FMS.
prairierose
prairierose

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:18 am

Thank you, interesting take.
I do know that IBS and FMS have migraines as symptoms, not sure if the same is said of arthritis.
I am curious to find out which is cause and which effect, for me.
As I have family history of these but none whatsoever of migraine, its a clue I cant afford to ignore.

Yes, the fluctuations of hormones are the trigger for migraines.
This does seem to be what triggered my migraines in the first place.
Not until I was turned 40 though, so after 30 years of periods.
I am at odds with my hormones. Had a total PND with my second baby, and bad periods, and awful menopause.
I hoped that when my ovaries finally stopped functioning might get some relief.
The doctors all suggested this was likely, but it hasnt happened. yet...

If I a doing something that is exacerbating my situation I need to find out and stop doing it.
Guess I will have to keep looking.

Thanks a lot for your input. Very interesting.

P

Very Happy

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  prairierose Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:01 pm

I suffered the worst migraines of my life during perimenopause and
menopause. Totally disabling for very long periods of time. I am
5 years plus into menopause and finally getting some relief. I don't
expect to migraine-free ever, but I am welcoming the relief I am
currently getting.

It sounds like a migraine diary would be helpful to you. I think there
are some available on line.
prairierose
prairierose

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:40 pm

Prairierose, it is 6 years end of february since my last period. A very good migraine neuro told me last year that it can take 10 years, but IF you never had migraines before menopause, and IF they were with the period, then there is a strong chance they will improve if not abate within that time.
I am crossing everything, I have 4 years before I reach those goal posts, and that will be the same time they will take the Triptans away from me.
It heartens me to hear you have at least had some improvement,thanks for sharing.
pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:44 pm

As I have family history of these but none whatsoever of migraine, its a clue I cant afford to ignore.

May I point out though something, since I encountered this many times before, and noticed that nobody seems to be taking certain facts under consideration.

As we all know M is quite under-researched condition even today -that's one, and two- it wasn't until MRI and computer tomography was invented which is quite recently when more was known about its nature and origins.

Bearing that in mind, imagine what was known about M when our parents and grandparents might have been having it. If one member of the family was suffering from say, abdominal M or from silent M (just M aura) or any other atypical M symptoms - this would suffice to ensure we would NEVER know TODAY he or she was suffering from M.
I would venture even that far as to say back then M would have been very easily misdiagnosed as "sinus headaches", 'depression", "IBS", and an eye problem.

That's why I wouldn't be so sure about the older members of family not having M ever. Particularly if they were having abdominal M as children which they later outgrew for well.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:14 am

Risa, That is true. Both my parents suffered from "sinus headaches "when I was young. They used bottles and bottles of Dristan. I think they both had migraines. My maternal Grandfather had them as well. Both my sisters and one of my daughters have them. Since my MIL had them also, my kids were pretty much doomed. My older daughter has had a few but not on a regular basis. Zoe, well she got the worst of it. pale
Hugs,
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:06 am

Not had any sinus headaches or stomach migraine or anything else that might fit the bill certainly in immediate family.
But point very valid and well put. thanks.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  prairierose Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:24 am

I would say that from age 20 to age 40, no doctor that I saw took
migraines seriously. I was told to "relax". I had to show up
at the ER, unable to stop vomiting, to have that treated.

While, we are still not able to say what exactly causes migraine,
we at least have some treatments that are a little more effective
than relaxing.
prairierose
prairierose

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:42 pm

Not had any sinus headaches or stomach migraine or anything else that might fit the bill certainly in immediate family.

I am not sure what you mean by immediate family, so I thought I will mention that dead uncles, aunties counts as well since they are blood relatives, too - which means they carried genes from common ancestor. At one point these genes could have become recessive - it's possible. Which means if they had it, your parent/s would do, too.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:46 pm

What I meant was, I cant speak for everyone. None of my 30 cousins. None of my aunts and uncles that I know of.
I didnt really know my grandparents. Their children say no, but of course they didnt know them as children....
So, no way to know for sure, can only say, far as I am aware.

When I have seen the numerous experts they always ask about migraines etc in the family, but they dont ask for an entire genealogy. Perhaps they dont realise they need to go back so far.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:28 pm

I didnt really know my grandparents. Their children say no, but of course they didnt know them as children....
So, no way to know for sure, can only say, far as I am aware.

But see here Pen, you've made my point. When come to it , you don't really know if anybody in your close family had M, or not- and grandparents are very important because genes often skip a generation.

Have you ever noticed how the children sometimes resemble a grandparent better than their own parents?
My daughter is practically a skin taken off my father's sister.
Even those in my family who never once saw my daughter know immediately who she is when they see her pictures because of the striking resemblance.

But my point is, people often say "nobody in my family.." while in fact when pressed for details only then they realize that sometimes they don't really gave the matter a lot of thought.

Now, knowing our history I must rush to reassure you this not a personal attack or anything - I am simply pointing out that for a number of reasons it is really really hard to say with absolute certainty if truly nobody in our family never ever suffered with M.

I personally feel only those lucky ones DIAGNOSED today and their children will know for sure, and their future families.
But us with our older parents, no such luck.

Perhaps they don't realize they need to go back so far.

Oh, no, I got carried away here. Of course it's not necessary for drs to ask for the entire genealogy, lol.
They know we don't know that. It IS hard for us to investigate that. My point was to show how M genes can be passed down and down without us ever knowing that.
That is not to say that indeed M was absent in the family and someone is the very first case - the genetic screw-up for the first time can also happen very well, yes.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:42 pm

I had an uncle who died 2 years ago. My fathers younger brother. He had Vertigo.
When I was speaking to my oft quoted Excellent Neuro, he told me two things that stuck.

He said regarding my migraines and hormones, that, given lack of "Obvious" close famly history, seeming lack of triggers.
And that for 10 yearsd I nver had a migraine outside my period. Quite likely I was one of the lucky/unlucky ones.
He said it could take 10 years for my hormones to quiet down (asked if I still had other symptoms..yes).
Told me hormonal migraine often kick in more before they back off. Not necessarly totally, but manageably.
Probably always have them,but not like this......
Well that was at least hopeful

Other thing he told me was, my Uncle Ronnie's vertigo, was quite likely my migraine.
He said why, but I cant recall, but he said "that, could be your link"
Apparently 2 of my fathers, mothers cousins kids (go figure Ha!!) Both male, have had migraines when they were kids.
Their sisters didnt.....
We (he and I ) disconted that, as too distant, but still, makes you think. Same side of the family.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:14 pm

I am in a hurry as I go to see my friend, but IMO this neuro was onto something:

http://www.vestibular.org/vestibular-disorders/specific-disorders/vestibular-migraine.php
http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/central/migraine/mav.html

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  thegirlwithbrowneyes Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:51 pm

You know with all the technology and modern medicine marvels we have today, you would think that the doctors would be able to find out what was causing our migraines.

I've tried cutting out certain foods, caffeine, it seems like everything.

My great aunt said she had migraines her entire life and then when she hit 70 they just stopped. I'm 26...44 more years of this doesn't sound good.

I am praying for everyone on here...and everyone who suffers with Migraines at all, because well, it is an awful thing to suffer with.

God Bless,

Laci
thegirlwithbrowneyes
thegirlwithbrowneyes

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:49 pm

thegirlwithbrowneyes wrote:You know with all the technology and modern medicine marvels we have today, you would think that the doctors would be able to find out what was causing our migraines.
Laci

I couldnt agree more. My husband is know to say ,they are very clever with all the technical stuff, surgery etc.
But when it comes to something that need that extra bit of research, empathy and understanding. Especially those that are not seen to be killers, its all a bit lame. And it is probably about money. Then there is the huge revenue the drug companies rake off.

Whatever our respective triggers and symptoms are, there has to be a common denominator.
As my Parkinsons friend said just today. "there is something "wrong" with all of us Parkinsons people but our conditon varies hugely"

I think we are the same. Something is "wrong" with all of us too.
I dont know what it is, we all have our ideas and clues, but we need a lot more support from the "clever" ones.
Migraine has been around for ever, apparently Napoleon had it, so it isnt food additives is it. etc etc.
Sadly we dont have a famous person to wave a banner for us either. Napoleon would have been great, a la Michael J Fox.

Surely if they did enough testing and research on ALL of us, they could put this together.
If people really realised what a thief of time this is, how it wrecks relationships, life quality, not to mention life itself, then maybe, just maybe they would try a little harder.

Off my soap box now...
cheers

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  crt Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:45 pm

pen wrote:

Whatever our respective triggers and symptoms are, there has to be a common denominator. I think we are the same. Something is "wrong" with all of us too.

Perhaps not. Well, let me put it this way. The common denominator may be the similarity of symptoms. Causes may vary considerably as do folks' triggers and what therapies are effective. I do think there is something wrong with us, but I'll be really surprised if it turns out to be the same wrong thing in all of us. But hey, I'm just speculating. Ironically, many of our doctors seem to be doing the same, if that much.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:59 pm

Hi Chris,
Symptoms certainly a common feature. Triggers seem more diverse. Cause, well its a mystery, but I dont think it should be in the 21st centruary.
When I said "wrong" I do of course mean something out of whack.
With the info and experience we all have, IF they took the trouble to take proper feedback from us all.
We might have some chance. I have never been asked by any expert for anything other than initial stuff, and then feedback on medication. Just my experience here in England.
Disappointing...

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2