migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Nerve Ablation

3 posters

Go down

RF Nerve Ablation Empty RF Nerve Ablation

Post  tecky Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:00 am

Sorry, I've been on here very infrequently lately. Just not up to the reading and needed a break.

I had a bilateral medial branch RF nerve ablation performed on C1-C5 in mid-July this year. Since then I have been miserable. I have had burning, electrical shock sensations and pain--especially in the neck and back of the head area. The neck area often feels hot and swollen.

Nothing seems to help. Ice gives a small amount of relief from the burning. Using my arms for anything at all irritates it and makes things much worse, as does riding in the car or frequent head movements.

My local PA has put me on a couple sessions of prednisone dosepaks. Although it helped maybe just a tad by the last day, it didn't last. She suggested maybe a longer, continued dose of steroids might be necessary to help with the inflammation in the nerves. A little hesitant about this because of side-effects, but getting to the point where I am considering it.

The symptoms seem to get worse as the days wear on since the procedure.

I had the two preliminary procedures before the ablation to see if it would be successful, and I had excellent results with those. My pain was greatly reduced for the short-term.

What do you think happened? Any suggestions for finding some relief?
By the way, I've tried chiropractic, long-term physical therapy, massage, acupuncture, traction, stretches and exercises, muscle relaxers, anti-inflammatories, topical pain patches and creams, etc., and all have failed to help and most have triggered more pain and migraine.

Thanks so much.
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

RF Nerve Ablation Empty Re: RF Nerve Ablation

Post  Mule Kick Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:05 pm

I think that I can put a name on the condition that you are suffering from, since I acquired the same syndrome from an improperly applied spica-thumb-splint when I fractured my left distal radius. I am currently in remission, though.

It sounds like your sympathetic nerves were damaged during the RF nerve ablation procedure, causing Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) which was previously known as Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome (RSDS). {You can find more information by doing a search, using these terms.}

Your symptoms of burning, pain, heat, and swelling match some of the symptoms of this very much underdiagnosed neurological syndrome. It is my opinion that having migraines makes a person more susceptible to CRPS / RSDS, and conversely having CRPS / RSDS makes a person more susceptible to getting migraines.

If you can manage it, please take the time to read all of the information presented on this website . Of the various CRPS / RSDS websites, that I have visited, it has the most complete information, once you master navigating in it.

While RF nerve ablation is sometimes tried as a treatment for CRPS / RSDS, it usually results in making the condition much worse!

Even though they provide a little temporary relief, in the long-run, ice packs can (according to the above linked website) actually end-up making CRPS / RSDS more severe.

You have my greatest sympathy.
Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

Post  CJ_AlwaysATexan Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:46 pm

You can try depomedrol nerve blocks (with bupivicaine) and also TENS therapy.
You can try the AEDs, but most come with serious side effects. KEPPRA is usually the best tolerated AED.

Magnesium supplementation ( IV, IM, and PO/oral) can also help. Magnesium acts as a calcium channel blocker.

CJ_AlwaysATexan

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:54 pm

Thanks, Mule Kick.

It does sound very similar, and the pain has gotten much worse since the ablation so I think the result has been the opposite of the intended outcome.

Interesting about the ice, but I feel like I can't calm the burning without it.

I have printed the information and have it ready to share with my doctor.
Thanks, CJ.

I think I've received steroid and buvicaine injections. I think those were the preliminary treatments before I was approved to proceed with the ablation. I think the combination of the injections has gotten my nerves irritated to the point they're at now.

I take 1,000 mg of magnesium orally, daily.

I have been on several AEDs--either they didn't do anything or they had severe side-effects for me. Currently, I'm on Klonopin and I'm finally getting up to 6 hours of sleep a night. That has been a God-send. However, I don't think it's having much effect on this nerve pain.
Winter weather doesn't seem to help matters.

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I'm getting desperate.
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down