migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

any problems with propofol?

+2
Migrainegirl
Jewishmother
6 posters

Go down

any problems with propofol? Empty any problems with propofol?

Post  Jewishmother Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:33 pm

Going to be a grown-up now that I am in my 50's and have a colonoscopy..........they use propofol - anyone have any problems with it increasing your migraine pain?
Jewishmother
Jewishmother

Back to top Go down

any problems with propofol? Empty Re: any problems with propofol?

Post  Migrainegirl Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:54 pm

I did not had a problem with it. Good luck with your procedure!
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  tinalouise Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:50 am

I didn't have any problems either. The colonoscopy should be a piece of cake too, the worst part is always the day before. I don't recall any more migraines because of the propofol though so you should be ok. Good Luck!!

tinalouise

Back to top Go down

Post  Tamsha101 Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:26 am

Good luck! Two of my friends had it done just recently and said it was a piece of cake. You'll be fine.

Tamsha101

Back to top Go down

Post  charmed quark Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:16 pm

Just had that done earlier this year.

While I had trepidation about being knocked out, regardless of the drug used, it was actually pleasant.

I didn't like the fact that I basically "dropped" as they pushed the propofol in - one moment I'm awake the next I'm out! But that's just me - I have control issues.

I actually had some vauge but pleasant dreaming going on while out.

I woke up feeling really, really great and refreshed. I mean I reaaaaallly felt good when I came to. I'm told that is common with proponol.

The only side effect I noticed is I had trouble retaining information for about 10 minutes after I came out of it. The doctor came by and told me everything was fine but I forgot that and he had to tell me again. And for some reason I would only speak French when I first came out. And my French sucks! I think that was just me, too.

Absolutely no migraine effect.

The prep - now that wasn't fun. But even that isn't really that bad and I didn't get migraines from it.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

any problems with propofol? Empty Propofol

Post  MaryAnneLive Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:47 pm

I am wondering how the procedure went.

I have actually been doing research tonight, apparently there is a lot of research out there on actually using propofol to break chronic daily migraine/ headache.

http://journals.lww.com/anesthesiology/Fulltext/2007/02000/Propofol__A_Novel_Treatment_for_Breaking_Migraine.43.aspx

Ever hear of it?
MaryAnneLive
MaryAnneLive

Back to top Go down

Post  Jewishmother Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:02 pm

I am sorry - I thought that I had given an update! I was aware that some docs were trying out propofol to break intractable migraines but did not go into the procedure with one so no data from me on that aspect of the propofol. Everything went well and I don't have to do it again for another 10 years!

Before the procedure I did talk to the anesthesiologist before the procedure to explain that I seem to be sensitive to most meds and usually cut way down on the dosage. He did understand and explained that usually they use a mixture of propofol and pain meds but would just start with the propofol and use the pain meds if I was experiencing pain during the procedure.

Jewishmother
Jewishmother

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:41 pm

That is so interesting that protofol can actually break a bad migraine cycle! Of course you have to go to a hospital or out patient surgery center to get it, but still. It's great that there may be this option for peoole who end up in a bad way.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:37 pm

I just had a colonoscopy with propofol myself so I asked the anesthesiologist about it. He said propofol can sometimes give a temporary relief to migraines. Sometimes it could make it worse.
Basically it is a vascular dilator and we need constrictors. It works sometimes because it puts the brain to sleep.

Not sure how that jives with the previous article, but is some info anyway.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down