migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problems understanding others

5 posters

Go down

Problems understanding others Empty Problems understanding others

Post  sailingmuffin Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:14 pm

Hi All,

Last night something very strange happened. I was listening to two of my friends talking and suddenly, it bacame very hard to understand what they were saying. The words were clear, but I could not put a meaning to them. It was like listening to a foreign language conversation-when you can pick up certain words or parts of the conversation, but can't understand it completely. It was really scary- kind of like aphasia-except I couldn't put a meaning to words spoken by others. I hope this is making some sense. I do have migranous aphasia (slurred speech- inability to think of words) and alexia (inability to read or recognize letters) during a migraine. But I have never had this before. I am not sure what to do except to tell my neuro on monday. (I really wish his office took call without having to go through ER.) I know it is some wierd part of migraine.

Does anyone else have this?

I'd love any advice.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Problems understanding others Empty Re: Problems understanding others

Post  Stillhurtin Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:26 pm

I did while on Topomax. Have you had med changes?
Stillhurtin
Stillhurtin

Back to top Go down

Post  AngelTree Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:43 pm

I have had this a few times during a really bad migraine aura. I also have trouble thinking of the right word/and trouble getting it out (slurred speak etc.). The last time I remember this happening it was when a thunder storm was starting. It was freaky though. If I were you I would mention it to your neuro...but it is definitely part of my aura.

You know, reading your posts, I can relate to a lot to what you say about your auras/ my lightheadedness etc. It sucks doesn't it?

Angel

AngelTree

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi All,

thanks so much for the kind words and support. The only new medication I am on is Ritalin (for the fainting spells.) However, I do not think that is the culprit as it was pretty much out of my system by then. It also happened again today, when I did not have ritalin in my system.

Yes, I think there has to be some connection with the fainting and headaches. I just wish I knew what it was.

Thanks again,.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:21 am

Sailing, I get that symptom before a migraine a lot. It has gotten better with Lyme treatment, but still happens. It is scary because you know it is happening, but you cant make your brain "pay attention". You seem to be getting more and more symptoms. I wish you could find a really good Dr. to help you!
Hugs,
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:41 am

Hi sailingm,

I have this occasionally, but not quite to the degree you do. I have trouble understanding directions or instructions, verbal or written, which would ordinarily not be a problem. I usually have an idea I'll be getting a migraine if this starts happening. It is often accompanied by blurry vision and/or dizziness.

I also have trouble following a story, such as on an audio book or on TV.

Becky Embarassed
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down