migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lidoderm as poor man's Botox

3 posters

Go down

Lidoderm as poor man's Botox Empty Lidoderm as poor man's Botox

Post  charmed quark Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:18 am

My migraines may have something to do with my severe cervical spine stenosis. My pain doctor suggested that Botox might help but my insurance wouldn't cover it.

So I tried Lidoderm patches on my neck and that actually seems to help. They reduce the spasms and pain I was getting in my neck and seem to reduce the frequency of my migraines.

They're expensive - I use about 1 and 1/2 box a month and 3 boxes cost more than Botox treatment would cost, but my insurance doesn't mind paying for them.

Just an alternative treatment to consider.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

Lidoderm as poor man's Botox Empty Re: Lidoderm as poor man's Botox

Post  tortoisegirl Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:09 pm

Wow I'm surprised the dermal application of the Lidoderm would help so much. I tried a sample couple patches awhile back and didn't get any relief, but everyone is different. Insurance should have to cover Botox for chronic migraine (> 15 days a month, not responsive to several other treatments) as its FDA approved for that. So, either your insurance is mistaken or your doctor didn't write that. I have another headache disorder and my neuro was find to write chronic migraine as I do have daily debilitating pain similar to migraine. They asked to see a headache log and my medication history to see I've failed lots of stuff, but then approved it. I'd definitely look into the Botox approval in more detail if you want to pursue it. Any doctor that does this for headaches should be familiar with what to put on the forms to get it approved for you. It does take some time though. If they don't, then they honestly don't have enough experience with it. Doctor experience is huge with Botox chance of relief (and also chance of side effects). Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  kathy Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:36 pm

I used Lidoderm patches for years after a surgeon severed an artery during a laparoscopy and I had nerve damage sending shocks down my left thigh as a result of my belly being full of thousands of cc's of blood for days. There were 5 transfusions. They worked great!.

Later I used my TENS unit. I had the TENS unit for a herniated disc in my neck. I got the herniated disc rolling over in bed! I am the biggest skeptic in the world but ended up liking the TENS unit. It was a good distraction for the neck pain. I believe that's the whole idea. I have never felt anything like the pain when I rolled over and hurt my neck. I was half asleep and I think my body rolled and then my neck turned quickly and BAM! I laid there screaming and of course I was alone.

See if you can get a TENS unit.
kathy flower

kathy

Back to top Go down

Post  charmed quark Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:21 am

I have a TENS unit and it does help a bit with the pain, but not the spasticicty which is what the Lidoderm seems to help with. I would also recommend a TENS unit for people with this sort of pain. No drug effects and 9V batteries are cheap :-) The electrode pads are a bit overpriced but mine last a month if I am careful. I've recently discovered you can get them dirt cheap on Amazon.

Anti-spasmodics really help but I don't like the side effects so only use them when it is really bad.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down