migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lidoderm Patches

3 posters

Go down

Lidoderm Patches Empty Lidoderm Patches

Post  charmed quark Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:38 am

I've recently been using Lidoderm patches to help control neck pain. Lidoderm is lidocaine in a patch that you wear for 12 hours at a time.

Several times I've relieved a migraine by wearing these on the side and back of my neck. They work really fast - about 10 minutes.

I have severe cervical stenosis/myelopathy that when it flairs up seems to trigger my migraines, so this might not work in general. But I suspect it might help people who get good results from blocks or botox in the cervical region.

Just something new to try.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

Lidoderm Patches Empty Lidoderm Patches

Post  carlajo Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:25 pm

Hello-

I agree with you about the Lidoderm Patches-they work quite well for me too! My Neurologist has me using them for neck pain also, as needed. The only thing she had me be aware of was that you may have a little skin sensitivity on the spot where the patch was, if you put another one on right away. (Does that make sense?)

What I like about them is how fast they kick in, as you said, in about ten minutes!

I always like the IcyHot-type patches for sore muscles but cant handle the smell of those!

Also, when I picked up my Prescription, it was a full box of them, I think like 25 of them!! That was nice that there was so many!! And my copay is only $20, so that was a bonus!!

Carlajo:)

carlajo

Back to top Go down

Lidoderm Patches Empty Re: Lidoderm Patches

Post  30yrsofheadache Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:36 am

I love the Lidoderm patches! I use them like you on my neck for pain there and sometimes on the shoulders. Sometimes this will reduce head pain also. I have tried applying to the forehead during migraine, but it didnt help. Sad I mostly use them at night. My only problem with them is not sticking well sometimes.
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  charmed quark Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:34 am

They stick OK on flat places like my abdomen but they keep coming loose on my neck and shoulder. I reinforce them with medical adhesive tape at the corners and that seems to work.

The big problem, for me, is you are suppose to wear them only 12 hours at a time. Apparently to let your blood levels of lidocaine go down, according to the literature in the packet. So the pain comes right back when I have to take them off and I have to use other medication at that point. I use the patches during the day since the oral medication can knock me out.

They are also real expensive. I started using them because my insurance won't pay for botox for my neck spaticity and spasms. That would be about $800 out of pocket every three months for me. But two lidoderm patches a day for three months would cost over $1,200! And that's from a discount mail order pharmacy. Luckily, my insurance does pay for them.

Oh - a warning. If you have young children or dogs around, dispose of them very carefully. Only a little of the lidocaine is absorbed out of the patches. If a dog got hold of the patch and chewed it, it could easily kill the dog.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down