migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do people recommend "natural" remedies to you?

+5
Brenda
Migrainegirl
Penny
Tamsha101
Sunny
9 posters

Go down

Do people recommend "natural" remedies to you? Empty Do people recommend "natural" remedies to you?

Post  Sunny Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:01 pm

In light of the "white noise" post... lol Laughing

A lot of well-meaning people who love me call me or send me emails saying, "Have you tried this?" My best friend likes to look for things online to try to help me, bless her heart. Some of it is rubbish, in my opinion, but some ideas may work. It's all in an effort to try to help me so I truly appreciate the intention.

I have heard:

Neti Pot. I even went and bought one but I can't bring myself to use it. It freaks me out.

Epsom salts. One suggestion is to bathe in it, no problem. Another is to swallow a palmful of it and then drink a glass of water. Can't do it.

Feverfew, skullcap, magnesuim, riboflavum, B2, B12, Zinc, Folate, etc. etc.

Polarized sunglasses.

Brain freeze. Supposedly this can interrupt the migraine process. Crazily enough, I have found minor, temporary relief in this if I am in the beginning stages of a minor migraine and I chug an iced cappucino. I don't know if it's the cold or the caffeine, or a combination.

Avoid avacados, bananas, citrus, parmesan, caffeine, dairy, wheat, sunlight, sugar, electronics, etc.

Anyone else get suggestions?

Sunny

Back to top Go down

Do people recommend "natural" remedies to you? Empty Re: Do people recommend "natural" remedies to you?

Post  Tamsha101 Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:49 am

They had the cefaly thing on our local news. Two migraine sufferers were going to try it out and then they would report back in a month. Looks like something from a Star Trek movie.

http://www.cefaly.ca/

I dont know of anyone who has tried it.

Tamsha101

Back to top Go down

Do people recommend "natural" remedies to you? Empty Natural Remedies ar the best

Post  Penny Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:30 am

[]
All the things you mentioned are excellent. Epsom salt baths are fantastic for migraines - its the magnesium.
I have suffered for 7 years with debilitating migraines and experienced a minor stroke this winter because of them.
For years I swore by Topamax. But at 300mg it was making my word recall a little shakey.
Then I happened upon an article referencing Ginkgo and its effects to reduce headaches and migraines because it carries oxygen to the brain etc. It didnot take long for my headaches to dissapate. I ran to my Doctor who analyzed afew things - we switched my medications around to combined aspirin, ginkgo, and Oxygen therapy. I have been virtually migraine free for weeks. and I am off medications. I have energy and a clear mind! I continue to take my B vitamins,and magnesium faithfully.

So after 7 years of suffering all natural is working for me! I did have to buy the oxygen machine (with a prescrition) because insurance will not cover it. However, I no longer have the $75 monthly co pay of medications.

For anyone interested, oxygen therapy doesnot give you an instant high and I do not use it for instant migraine relief. I use it for oxygen enhancement and therfore I don't feel anything really. However, my regimen of Oxygen, and Ginkgo are amazing

Penny

Back to top Go down

Do people recommend "natural" remedies to you? Empty Re: Do people recommend "natural" remedies to you?

Post  Migrainegirl Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:56 am

That is awesome! I am also doing better with the natural route ( bio identical progesterone, magnesium, vitamin D, iodide). I have wondered about the oxygen therapy. You are the first I've heard it is working for. Can you just buy it? Or do you need a prescription?
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:33 am

First off, Penny, could I please request that you not center your text like that. I don't know if it bothers anyone else, but I find when I'm migraine that's very difficult for me to read. I really want to hear your thoughts, but I find that have to skip those posts because my eyes can't seem to follow. Thanks.

The last neuro I saw suggested magnesium, feverfew, butterbur, and Vit B2. Can't say they helped much, but they didn't hurt either.

As for sunglasses, I always wear them outiside. Even if I don't have a migraine, I feel like my eyes are very sensitive to the sun. Probably because I have to keep the curtains drawn so much because of migraines. My husband said he feels like he's living in a cave sometimes. Poor guy. Sad

Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Do people recommend "natural" remedies to you? Empty penny

Post  Guest Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:10 pm

Penny: I asked you in your other post how much Gingko you are taking. You didn't get back. Kindly get back with the info. Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post  tortoisegirl Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:10 pm

I stopped telling people about my health or even discussing it with people who do know so I won't get the silly suggestions! I've tried most of them anyways. If people who know about my health ask how I'm doing, I say I'm the same, and move on. Over the years the questions have diminished and its been awhile since even my parents asked. Smile My health is now only my concern, as well as my hubby's and doctors. Its rare at least for me to find a true friend or family member you can discuss these things with without the extraneous discussion or them bringing it up when you just don't want to think about it. Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  mamak Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:46 am

I think that people MEAN well, but it DOES get tiresome. I have a friend who is constantly sending me information on holistic and homeopathic treatments for EVERYTHING! I also suffer from a skin condition that is proving to be quite resistant to treatment and whenever anyone sees it, they ALWAYS feel the need to suggest some sort of "treatment". There are times when I feel like saying "SERIOUSLY?!?! I've been dealing with this for 2 YEARS!!! Do you REALLY think I haven't tried *insert blatantly obviously treatment here*". The last time I had a migraine, someone suggested Excedrin and I felt like slapping them...this was someone who KNOWS I'm on Topamax (and have been for a few YEARS)!!!

mamak

Back to top Go down

Do people recommend "natural" remedies to you? Empty do people reccomend natural remedies for you?

Post  dizzyflower Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:06 am

Yes !

I have to meet mums friends every now and then and the conversation goes.

"Havn't you grown!" I'm 37

"have you any children?" no I suffer migraine.

"What do you do?" - i suffer migraine

"My (insert whoever) had that"

"Have you tried (insert whatever was in Readers Digest or Daily Express)"

"She's much better now and runs for charity (or similar)

inference that i havn't researched enough so it's my fault I've still got it and my life isn't together.

Fortunately I don't live in my home town anymore but it's where I seem to go to feel like a failure.

forget the first class degree, post grad qaulifications, any of that. feverfew doesn't work for me so i must be highly strung or perhaps it's my hormones!

best wishes

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny! Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:21 am

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I couldn't log on for some reason.

I am on 120mg of Gingko twice a day. I use Jarrow. I also take upwards of 500mg magnesium, and higher doses of B Vitamins and inositol. I also take 1 aspirin daily.

Gingko is a vasso dialator, so it improves oxygen levels in the brain.

In the past, vasoconstriction was the popular theory for most migraines, since caffine when taken with aspirin can allivate the pain. However, this may be more closely linked to caffine's delivery system. While there could be many reasons for migraines, vasculitis does appear to be the cause of mine. With cerebral blood flow being reduced.

Oxygen therapy does require a prescription. There have not been many studies conducted for migraine sufferers, although it was found to help with cluster headaches. My doctor has observed it helping migraine sufferers, and suggested it for me. While I did have to pay for the machine, what I save on Topamax co pay it will pay for itself in 6 months.

When people offer advice, we shouldn't get discourage or annoyed. It is a sign they care, which is awesome. It would be much worst to have them ignore our pain. For all of us who have suffered with the pain, and subsequent depression, having anyone offer their form of hope is not a bad thing at all.

Penny!

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:51 pm

I don't mind when they suggest things....usually. The only thing I get irritated with is people who try to minimize my pain by saying that if I had a migraine I should always be in a dark quiet room. If I'm up and about, even if I'm just sitting up, I c an't have THAT bad of a migraine. If I went to bed with every migraine, I'd never get up.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  Penny! Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:27 pm

I hear you on the never getting up scenario! I needed to have a flexible work schedule because my migraines hit during the night - making early to work nearly impossible.

Hang in there! I thought I would never be free of the headaches and after my minor stroke episode, as a result of the migraines, I was living in fear as well. I never would have believed that four months later I would discover something that would make the throbbing stop.

Good Luck to everyone ...

Penny!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down