migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worst Patient ever...??? Nice to know

+6
Enigma
rileyoday
Migrainegirl
kimsmom
AZgirl
stephgood
10 posters

Go down

Worst Patient ever...??? Nice to know Empty Worst Patient ever...??? Nice to know

Post  stephgood Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:55 pm

When I was at the Dr's on the 7th, we were chatting. She injected the Botox and was making notes. In our conversation she said "Well you are my worst patient ever". Maybe the look on my face was enough to make her retract that. She then said "Well, definitely in the top ten, honestly, the top of the top ten". I think she was trying to make me feel a little better! I wanted to post this for a while now, but just haven't.

So great. So at Cleveland Clinic, where my DR is, who sees many, many patients every day, I am her worst. Now I must add here that she then remarked on the strides we have made over the past several years working together. She has apologized in the past for not having "cured" me yet. To this I just laugh and smirk. I only wish there were a "cure". I have some to realize that treatment is more likely the answer to my issue. I just don't see a cure, maybe one day. For now though I will stick to the treatment, it is helping. My life is so much better than it was a few years ago.

I do have fears though. What if Botox somehow is not covered my Insurance or Medicare? What if I have to get a different DR? (I hate going to someone new, trying to explain everything and then having them want to do it THEIR way, in hopes they can do it better.) What if the Botox stops working? I do not want to go back on a regimen of drugs, that don't usually help anyways. Then my brain has to return to the here and now. I cannot live in fear of these things. I have to just take advantage of what I have at the moment and LIVE. Maybe tomorrow I will have a horrible, level ten, can't get out of bed, can't take care of my kid, have to call in help or go to the ER, migraine! But I don't today, so I am gonna take that! I can deal with this mild pain today!!

Just a little rant I guess. I am not really known for posting much of anything except random replies. Have a good day everyone. Embarassed
stephgood
stephgood

Back to top Go down

Worst Patient ever...??? Nice to know Empty Re: Worst Patient ever...??? Nice to know

Post  Guest Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:55 pm

steph,

i can understand that type of comment coming from a CCF physician. i have had extensive exposure to their systems. some are good, some are absolutely horrible. i rank their migraine & headache clinic laughable.

they've done tons of tons of tests, but never integrated to solve any problems--they actually create more problems that other doctors and hospital systems have to fix.

they do have some good docs, but others are like I said, laughable. more promotion and advertising than substance. the physician apologizing sounds familiar. part of their "corporate goodspeak." it's all part of minimizing patient discontent and trying to mitigate their liability exposure for bad performance.

i can't count how many appointments that i've had that ended up in anger and frustration. thank gosh there's the intercontinental for lunch that i can blow off steam before heading home.

unless you've been circulated through their system, it's hard to understand this giant octypus of an organization.

-mgb

Back to top Go down

Worst Patient ever...??? Nice to know Empty Re: Worst Patient ever...??? Nice to know

Post  AZgirl Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:13 pm

Sorry you had to endure that conversation. Also sorry to report that I get that, too, from my neuro team. They apologize for not being able to give me more options, offer more relief, etc. Kinda depressing.
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  kimsmom Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:39 pm

You Know this gets me! I have also had this happen to me, well it was after my third visit. He said I was a hard patient and there was nothing more he could do for me. Three visits!!! Appalling. We have migraines and need help and these doctors are who we need to go to and they say we are the worst patient they have?!

I guess it is their egos talking because they cannot "fix" us. Treatment and managability is what we are seeking. Telling a patient that they are their worst patient is not helping matters and has me wondering where they got there education. Surely they must have a Compation for the Patient class or chapter that goes along with their schooling.

Sorry Steph, I am ranting too with you. Sorry you had to go through this.

kimsmom
kimsmom
kimsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:25 pm

Surely they must have a Compation for the Patient class or chapter that goes along with their schooling

Well there's a good idea. I'm pretty sure they don't have that now, or else a lot of our doctors seem to have flunked that class. It sounds like an unfortunate slip your doctor made, Steph. But really that sort of thing doesnt help us much. Just because they don't know how to solve your problem does not make you a bad patient, and certainly not the worst patient. Maybe it means they're the worst doctor (or at least not the best of doctors, since I'd hate to be that rude).
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Worst Patient ever...??? Nice to know Empty worst patient

Post  rileyoday Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:07 am

Maybe they just meant worst patient because they havent helped much. Drs. like to see results and to help.

Your probably a good patient. I like the way you write and describe things. I hope you get relief very soon.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Post  Enigma Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:05 am

Worst to your doctor, but best to us, (((((Steph)))). Theory of Relativity. It all depends on where you are standing and the realtion to the person infront of you.

We agree you are the best.
Enigma
Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:11 am

Hi Steph,

I'd agree with the others- you may be "worst" in their book, but one of the "best" in ours.

Also, I am sure your doctor only meant that your case was hard to treat, not that you are a bad or "difficult" patient. (It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode.} By the way, I once asked my old, wonderful neuro if I was one of their "worst" cases, he declined to comment, but I am sure I was.

Anyway, hope the botox helps.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  stephgood Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:39 am

Thanks Guys! I am sure she meant 'worst case scenario person'. It is just the way it came out I guess. I really like that DR, and we usually laugh and chat a bit. I was just really suprised. I knew my situation was not good, but have always held on to the belief that SOMEONE had to be worse than me!!! LOL It's all good though!
stephgood
stephgood

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeneyes Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:35 am

I was dropped from my neurologist years ago..because he tried everything for me (I"m quoting him)..the case was too difficult..so now my internist treats the migraines..

So sorry that you are so ill with your migraines..
Greeneyes
Greeneyes

Back to top Go down

Post  greent Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:41 pm

I've been told I'm one of my doctor's 'toughest cases'. That's probably better terminology, but still hard to hear. Glad to hear Botox is working for you. I had my second round and think it's actually doing something this time! Since it's been FDA approved, I think insurance has to cover it now if you have more than 15 migraines a month (which it sounds like we all do...)

greent

Back to top Go down

Post  kathy Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:56 pm

There is Dr. Reed at American Migraine Center off of 480 and she never says crap like that. All she does is migraines. The doctor that pioneered the surgery on the muscles after he found botox works is in her practice.

I was in the Cleveland Clinic overnite and the established Orthopedic surgeon told me not to let anyone tap my infected ankle til I had an MRI. Well we refused and many insults were hurled at me and my husband.About 20 med students and residents were there. After the MRI I got an apology from the attending and the residents boss came to see me without any students or residents and guess what I didn't need a tap. My husband said sorry to insult the residents and he said they need to be set straight once and awhile.

At teaching hospitals they are under pressure to do x amount of procedures. This is why I don't go there if I can help it.
kathy No

Last edited by kathy on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : error)

kathy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down