migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the worst thing anyone has or can say to you about migraine?

+41
kathy
somebodyhealme
marianb
Tamsha101
jwar
hunter46
tecky
Brenda
dancergirl
megdrex
newagemarie
kimsmom
marion
chrissygirl
living
mattie
mslibra
HeadCase#999
amy
Ella
dailyha-rose
Swisslady
lissy
stephgood
Mini
Anna's Mom
Jangel
gopher7252
lizholmesod
greent
30yrsofheadache
02R96
Migrainegirl
ShelliB
Lynette
Paradox
Enigma
WitsEnd
dcook60
Jewishmother
sailingmuffin
45 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What is the worst thing anyone has or can say to you about migraine? - Page 3 Empty Re: What is the worst thing anyone has or can say to you about migraine?

Post  living Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:12 pm

Lol enigma. That's the truth...

I'm so glad megdrex that you've found this place helps you. I know I've been coming here daily since I discovered it a week or two ago!

Dear Brenda...I hate your pastor. With a furious anger. I think he needs a brick upside the head to match the one he's got inside his head. O. M. G. Best case scenario he is/was a damn fool - I hope he's been stripped of any congregation he may have been misleading. Maybe he confused Pastor with Pasta when he went in line to get a job. Shall I stop now? Ok.

living

Back to top Go down

What is the worst thing anyone has or can say to you about migraine? - Page 3 Empty Re: What is the worst thing anyone has or can say to you about migraine?

Post  tecky Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:46 am

Brenda's post reminded me....

1) I've had an extended family member pray, during a prayer for my healing, that satan be removed from my life (insinuating that I'm filled with satan because I'm suffering from migraine)
2) You just need to be open to trying new things (i.e., alternative, quacky, etc. that this person has suggested)
3) You must have a very low tolerance for pain

These are just ones that come to mind at the moment.
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  megdrex Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:33 pm

LOVE most Churchill quotes!!!
OK Brenda, that pastor sounds like one I had years ago at Campus Crusades for Christ. Nothing against that organization, BUT there were several men who were big holy-rollers in that group. Guess what, they ALL turned out to be after the young single ladies in their teens - they were married guys in their 40's. Once I found that out I left the group but this is a pattern I have noticed for years. Then the Catholic priest thing came out. The last straw was when my former neighbor, who is a born-again Christian, told me I was going straight to Hell if I didn't accept JC into my heart. I don't have any quarrel with what she believes, or what anyone believes, but I did ask her where she thought John Gacy or Jeffery Dahmer ended up when they died. She said she didn't know. OK, so she knows I'M going to hell, but she doesn't know where 2 serial killers went. I'm just sayin'......
Living, was that your poem? It was amazing!!!!! Thanks to all and Enigma too - no migraine yet today, knock on wood!
Very Happy

megdrex

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:46 pm

Well, I did hear not long ago that the Pastor who said that about me ended up in a mental ward for awhile after he said that.... soo.... what goes around comes around. I almost had to physically hold my father back the day he said that. He was ready to punch him in the face. lol

And for anyone who thinks we have a low threshold for pain is clueless. I've had severely abcessed tooth, and a kidney stone. My worst migraines are worse than either of those things which are supposed to be some of the worst pain there is.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

What is the worst thing anyone has or can say to you about migraine? - Page 3 Empty OOh there's a poem rustler in town!

Post  living Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:54 pm

Hi,

Lol no it wasn't my poem I copy and pasted it from the poem section of this website. There are heaps of them. I loved that one. xx

Being open to trying new things is what my extended family is always trying to get me to do. 'Just try this AMAZING naturopath clinic. They are so busy they don't even see people face to face anymore - they do a consultation on line with an electronic form, charge you $200 and send you some supplements! Fantastic!' WHAT A JOKE! I can smell a scam designed to take money from desperate people when I see one. Why can't my family? Grrr.

O I feel sorry for poor delusional Pastor for brains now...mental illness eh. He must have taken his role a little 'too' seriously. jocolor

So glad you have no migraine megdrex. Me too - woke up fairly clear headed. Should be able to get some work done. WOOT!

living

Back to top Go down

Post  Enigma Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:43 pm

living wrote:Hi,

'Just try this AMAZING naturopath clinic. They are so busy they don't even see people face to face anymore - they do a consultation on line with an electronic form, charge you $200 and send you some supplements! Fantastic!' WHAT A JOKE! I can smell a scam designed to take money from desperate people when I see one. Why can't my family? Grrr.

I just watched as show called Marketplace. A magazine show that exposes fraudulent or good products. They did a bit on homeopathic products and they sent the items in for tests and found out it was all sugar pills. People beleive in the stuff and were giving it to their children beleiveing they were vacinnating them for polio. Skeptics were downing bottles and bottles of sleeping pills to show nothing would happen, becuase they were all sugar.

Shameless taking money from sick people and telling them it will cure cancer and stuff.
Enigma
Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post  living Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:13 pm

The reason they get some results is because the placebo effect is remarkably powerful. Something like up to 30% of people can have a response to a sugar pill in any given trial. Charlatans cash in on the placebo effect. It's the power of the body to adjust itself based on what it believes it's about to be getting.

factoid alert: The body is an amazing thing hey...One study with real opiates showed that drug tolerances develop in based on environmental cues in rats (it's been shown in people too). For eg. if you go to a totally new environment and take the same amount that you've built up a tolerance to in your usual place, you can OD. Because your body isn't putting up the same inhibitory responses as it would in the normal environment. Pretty amazing stuff.

living

Back to top Go down

Post  Enigma Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:00 am

living wrote:
The reason they get some results is because the placebo effect is remarkably powerful. Something like up to 30% of people can have a response to a sugar pill in any given trial. Charlatans cash in on the placebo effect. It's the power of the body to adjust itself based on what it believes it's about to be getting.

factoid alert: The body is an amazing thing hey...One study with real opiates showed that drug tolerances develop in based on environmental cues in rats (it's been shown in people too). For eg. if you go to a totally new environment and take the same amount that you've built up a tolerance to in your usual place, you can OD. Because your body isn't putting up the same inhibitory responses as it would in the normal environment. Pretty amazing stuff.

It is amazing indeed. Sometimes, the body just needs time to heal on it's own, or with a bit of faith, and I can even see what a service it would provide to hypochondriacs, but selling placebo crosses a line when you are selling it as an alternative for polio vaccine or curing cancer and the like.

Interesting bout the opiods.
Enigma
Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:06 pm

I think if the placebo effect were going to work on me it would have done when I took one of the many medications my doctor tried me on. Instead I got better with the one thing I thought would not work.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  hunter46 Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:36 am

My favorite was when i went to the dr last year i went in complaining of a headache for over a week and not being able to hold anything down his assistant came in and gave me this look and said well your not going to get any narcotics...I said look lady i dont want any, when have i ever asked for any, i want you to get the doctor and make this go away...that when the dr decided to admit me to hospital..

my other favorite is....how can you have a migraine you take preventative drugs for that!!! (like that cures all) POOF their gone Smile

Love this thread its so funny to read!!!
hunter46
hunter46

Back to top Go down

Post  stephgood Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:25 pm

haha! low pain threshold???? Love that, some of my family had that opinion about me! UNTIL I had 60 hours of labor, and it didn't really phase me! I played cards most of the time!!! That was nothing compared to some of my migraines!! It is funny how some people try to rationalize pain they don't understand!!
stephgood
stephgood

Back to top Go down

Post  jwar Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:34 pm

Two weeks ago I got an unannounced package in the mail from my mother-in-law. She is deeply enamoured with Jesus, and has resented her first born son (my husband) for marrying an atheist (me) quite vocally at times.

The package contained a book about how the reason I have migraines is because I haven't embraced Jesus in my life, and how if I would just do that then I would be cured.
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:40 pm

My brother is a very devout Christian and has a terrible time with migraines.
While I have many good things to say about religion and the good it can do for people, it is not a route to instant good health or fortune. Many very holy people have to deal with health problems and other problems of the world. And many rotten no good people seem to go on with no apparent problems to speak of. It just doesn't really work that way. But I doubt Mom- in-law will see it that way.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:43 pm

Steph I too went through labor with no pain medication. At least we got something good at the end of that ordeal!

I keep going through these migraines with nothing to show for it besides another lost day.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Tamsha101 Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:21 pm

I just went back to work part-time after being on migraine disability for almost 4 months. I've had people say to me this past while "you look so much better now than you did before - you looked awful". I found those remarks so hurtful! I mean, who wants to be reminded or told they used to look like sh$t? Couldnt they just say glad you're back, you look great? Sheesh!!

Tamsha101

Back to top Go down

Post  marianb Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:40 pm

My dcotor:
"I guess you want a sick cert for work"

Friends

" Its just a headache, come out for a few drinks, vodka will cure it"

My Mother:

"if you stopped biting your nails you would get that headache"

marianb

Back to top Go down

Post  living Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:39 pm

*potential offence alert - don't read this if you're religious it will offend*

Jwar - there's the proof of your atheism right there. Loving Jesus hasn't done much for your MIL's compassion or sensitivity and the only insight it appears to have given her is the same as any tyrant's - 'do as I say or suffer the consequences.' Pretty sure she didn't need to bother being enamoured with a deity to arrive at that conclusion. If I were you I would return to sender along with a copy of the Art of Tantric Sex. Wink

living

Back to top Go down

Post  somebodyhealme Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:23 pm

Some research in the past few years suggests we actually have greater pain tolerance than non migraineurs. So anyone who says otherwise is not only rude, but also uninformed.

If I were you I would return to sender along with a copy of the Art of Tantric Sex.
That would be so awesome! Very Happy

I think the thing that bugs me the very most is the constant suggestions by people who don't know me at all or have any idea how many things I've tried in the past 8 years. Just don't, ya know?
somebodyhealme
somebodyhealme

http://somebodyhealme.dianalee.net

Back to top Go down

Post  stephgood Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:05 pm

hahahaha! I don't want to offend anyone, but there is no magic miracle cure, from God or anyone else. I cannot believe that a true Christian would have that way of thinking. If that woman truly had God in her heart she would be much more sensitive to your situation. If she truly had God in her heart, she wouldn't be so focused on converting you. She would be much more confident on what her future held, and not so worried about your supposed sinning ways! And a true Christian believes in an all forgiving God, full of love and hope for his people, even the ones that don't believe.

By the way, I am not Christian. It is sad when Pagan has a better understanding of Christianity, than the religions own followers do. I am not knocking anyone for their beliefs, but those statements are born from ignorance.
stephgood
stephgood

Back to top Go down

Post  kathy Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Nobodies head can hurt that bad!!!!
Courtesy my monster-in-law!

Then she hit menopause and called me twice with a migraine, her first. I told her what it was, helped her through it.
Now she denies it ever happened!
My husband even calls his mom a bi**h!!!! Evil or Very Mad affraid
kathy

kathy

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:05 pm

[quote="somebodyhealme"]Some research in the past few years suggests we actually have greater pain tolerance than non migraineurs. So anyone who says otherwise is not only rude, but also uninformed.

I can believe that. When I was in with my kidney stone, the nurse was shocked when the test came back saying I had a stone. She said normally, people with kidney stones, and doubled over in pain, throwing up, sweating, etc. I told them truthfully, that stone was nowhere near the pain of my migraines on a regular basis.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:11 pm

When my husband had a kidney stone he ended up in the ER like 3 times. I'm going to tell him that your experience with kidney stones was much less painful than migraines. Maybe then I'll get a little more understanding and less frustration from him.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  amy Sat May 21, 2011 9:41 am

got a new one today!

" Why don't you go for a run?" OK, I'll get right on that as soon as I can lift my head up without feeling like I'm gonna throw up...
amy
amy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Sat May 21, 2011 11:32 am

Migrainegirl - about your husband's kidney stone comparison? I doubt if he will get it. Men just don't. Sorry guys (unless you get migarines yourself, of course).

Once we discussed with my husband the childbirth of our son (which lasted 48 hours), he said that the worst part about it, was the boredom!!!(Boredom in all that waiting for him, of course).

So, I said, what about pain, my pain. He said with all seriousness: it couldn't be so bad, since otherwise you could not last two days if it was that bad.
No wonder he is my former husband, now.

Mind you, when it comes to understanding about head pain, some women can be just as bad - people just don't get it. It is so infuriating, so hurtful.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  gopher7252 Sun May 22, 2011 7:05 am

People try to rationalize the illogical and uncomprehendable because that's how they are. They don't necessarily realize what they're sometimes. The classic "it's just a headache" is born from peoples desire to either:

Put things in a context and frame that they can sort of understand
Or...
The desire to push things under the rug or mitigate them when they can't find that frame of reference.

There is so little in the way of public knowledge and education about what a "migraine" really is. We shouldn't get angry just because people havent had the opportunity to learn about the condition. Migraines aren't like cancer or HIV/AIDS which are constantly (excuse the expression) shoved down the throats of students in schools today. Because we aren't terminal we get forgotten. Rather than getting angry like so many do, we would be better to teach the people we come in contact with about migraines.

I realize how ridiculous that sounds when we get so discriminated against. I like to wear a hat around school because it helps me prevent migraines, allows me to engage in classroom discussion, and really improves the quality of my life in general. The HEALTH teacher of all people constantly hounds me about the hat. She isn't one of my teachers, she doesn't know what I go through every morning. I was buying my lunch one day last week when she turned me around by the shoulder and demanded that I take off my hat. She delivered this long lecture about "she understands that I move around a lot, and that I probably don't like it here in Beijing, but acting out by wearing the hat was the wrong way to cope" I very nearly hit her. My reply afte I got control of myself? "you want me to take my hat off, I want you to cure migraines. Looks like both of us get disappointed huh?"
While mildly funny, I probably could have reacted better by explaining the craphole that having migraines is. I did nothing to replace the ignorance that caused the dispute and therein lies the mistake. I think if we try to educate people about migraines then the rude comments will slowly disappear over time. As we all know, there's rarely a panacea for every problem, but by trying to change one person at a time I believe we'll make a difference.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

gopher7252

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next