migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surgical Treatment of Chronic Headaches

+2
Migrainegirl
Anna's Mom
6 posters

Go down

Surgical Treatment of Chronic Headaches Empty Surgical Treatment of Chronic Headaches

Post  Anna's Mom Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:51 am

http://www.georgetownuniversityhospital.org/LectureSeries/?lecture=Surgical_Treatment_Chronic_MigraineHeadachesSu
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Surgical Treatment of Chronic Headaches Empty Re: Surgical Treatment of Chronic Headaches

Post  Migrainegirl Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:25 pm

Yes my brother is trying to get a referral to see this guy as his occipital nueralgia is so bad. But his nuero just poo-pooed it, and said he doubted it would work and would not give him a referral. How infuriating is that? This is the same guy that hasnt been able to help him at all. But he has to have a referral for the insurance to cover it,
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Surgical Treatment of Chronic Headaches Empty Re: Surgical Treatment of Chronic Headaches

Post  stephgood Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:23 pm

I am sorry but it made me really nad to read that! there is no reason why a DR shouldn't give a referral. Whether or not they have helped a patient, if a patient asks for a referral, they need to give it. I am so mad I can't type! LOL I have been fortunate to have a GP that has always told me he would give me any referral I needed. all I have to do is give them the phone number. I can pick the DR, he doesn't even reccommmend one if I don't ask. They have always even done a referral for me if I have called with a problem. for example, I hurt my knee, called and explained it and said I needed a an Ortho DR. They said make the appt, if you need a referral call us back with the number! That is how easy it should be! It is your insurance and your $$$, not to mention your life! I would not stick with a DR that doesn't work with me, no matter how much I liked them!!
stephgood
stephgood

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilFluorescents Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:08 pm

That is really maddening, especially since the neuro hasn't been of any help. I'm sorry to hear that this is happening.

Can his GP write the referral? I don't know if they would except this, but can your brother demand his records from the neurologist and then go to an urgent care center to get a referral from one of the on-call physicians?

I take it the nerve blocks didn't work?

For whatever reason my computer won't allow me to access the link, but I think I remember looking it over a while back. If it's the same surgery it's certainly an interesting concept. Decompressing the muscles surrounding the irritated nerve sounds logical.

EvilFluorescents

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:06 pm

Yes it is totally mind boggling and so frustrating because he is finally starting to look for help again after having basically given up for so many years. And his is a very bad case indeed. I think he will try a different route. He was not at all happy with the nuero. I hope he can find a doctor to help him.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:33 am

I will consider having this surgery if the getting to menopause doesnt help. I think I am not going to have an early one like I hoped for, though! I live very close to Georgetown, so I am very interested.
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:34 pm

http://www.prweb.com/releases/migraine-headaches/surgery/prweb5053434.htm
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Surgical Treatment of Chronic Headaches Empty I have had the decompression surgery for occipital neuralgia

Post  cmiller Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:30 pm

Hi Everyone,
I have had decompression surgery. I suffered a 24/7 migraine with up to hundreds of electric shock type pains a day, severe dizziness and nausea and light and sound sensitivity. I was diagnosed with Occipital Neuralgia. I was pretty much in bed for over 2 years. I had never had a migraine in my life before I got a whiplash in July 2008 which ruptured my C3-C4 disc also. I had surgery by Dr. Robert Bray in the D.I.S.C sport and spine center in Dec. 2010 after I had an anterial discectomy early 2010 to make sure that wasn't the cause of my migraines. Dr. Bray usually finds that patients only need one side decompressed but it was found that I needed both sides. After the right side I woke up with no dizziness nausea or the electric shock type pains. I still had some headache but only on the left side not the side he operated on. I did still have severe sound sensitivity until I had the left side surgery and that completely went after that. I have one small area in the middle top back of my head that still aches but Dr. Bray hopes that goes over the next six months. If not he will check the top branch of the occipital nerve. Today about 8 weeks post left side surgery I am out in the yard gardening, cooking and doing daily housework. It has been very life changing. I now spend time helping others find information and doctors who can help them. I know there are three doctors in California now doing decompression surgery Dr. Robert Bray and Dr. Ozgur in the D.I.S.C Sport and Spine Center and Dr. Ziv Paled in San Francisco. Dr's Blake and Perry in Texas and Dr. Ducic in Washington DC. If you would like other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by cmiller on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to add my diagnosis)

cmiller

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:23 am

Thanks for posting your experience. How great that you have done so well. Do you mind telling me if your insurance covered the surgery?
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:41 pm

Thanks so much for the excellent information. I have sent it on to my brother who lives in California and has terrible occipital neuralgia. Maybe he will be able to get in there
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Surgical Treatment of Chronic Headaches Empty Insurance and more info for Decompression surgery

Post  cmiller Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:59 pm

My insurance did cover it. My surgeon did require a $1000 deposit which I probably won't get back as while the doc isn't on any insurance contract he accepts whatever the insurance paid, however, if it is too low which mine was he keeps the $1000 so basically it cost me out of pocket $1000 for two surgeries. I had no co-pay at all because I also had the anterial discectomy c spine surgery at the same place six months earlier and I think that cost us $600. So all in all I had three surgeries in a beautiful private hospital with the best care almost 2 nurses full time per person private room etc for $1600 not bad. I had anthem blue cross ppo.
One of the things I should explain a little more is that Dr. Bray only does one side surgery per time and that can be annoying. I knew my ON was both sided but he refused to do the larger surgery saying almost all his patients only need one side. Having to go in for a second annoyed me and now that small area may need more surgery up in the middle of the back of my head it kind of really pissed me off as I specifically told him after my first surgery that that spot was very painful. At my six week post surgery he explained that only 1 in 40 need that are to be checked and he can't justify a larger surgery going up there... but I TOLD him that area was very painful and that was the area i was most concerned with. He now won't touch my head for another five months to let the nerves rest. Sooo Dr. Ziv Paled does check ALL trigger areas and nerve paths in one surgery. That probably would have saved me many months extra down time in recovery. The surgery with Dr. Bray takes a long time to recovery he quoted that the nerves can be angry and extremely sensitive for up to 8 months post surgery. Nerve sensitivity is painful but nothing like before surgery. Dr. Paled has quoted that his patients are back to work a few weeks post surgery. I am still trying to work out the difference considering Dr. Paled's surgery is larger. I would have posted all of this in my last post but it was a lot to say if no one was interested Smile I have made a small website with all the latest info on occipital neuralgia I have collated over the last year or so if anyone is interested it is occipitalneuralgiasupport.com It was just somewhere to put it all in one site.
Chloe
Chloe

cmiller

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down