migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For folks who take meds for an under-active thyroid

3 posters

Go down

For folks who take  meds for an under-active thyroid Empty For folks who take meds for an under-active thyroid

Post  crt Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:49 pm

For those of us who take thyroid medication for and under-active thyroid, I have some information. Maybe you already know. I knew only part of it and have been taking the med incorrectly for a long time!

Medication should be taken:

-In the morning
-At the same time every day
-On an empty stomach
-With at least 8 oz of water

-Wait at least an hour after taking the med before you eat.
-Do not take antacids, anything containing iron, or anything containing calcium until 4 hours have passed from the time you take the thyroid med.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

For folks who take  meds for an under-active thyroid Empty Re: For folks who take meds for an under-active thyroid

Post  lesherb Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:19 pm

Thanks for posting that. I take Synthroid (levothyroxin) for hypothyroidism. I usually take it with all my morning meds and then eat breakfast about ½ an hour later.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

For folks who take  meds for an under-active thyroid Empty Re: For folks who take meds for an under-active thyroid

Post  marion Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:17 pm

Leslie, do the meds for thyroid or the thyroid problem itself, seem to help or contribute to m's. Have you ever found any sort of correlation?
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:28 pm

Marion-I was diagnosed with a goiter in 1999. I had radioactive iodine (orally) to kill off the goiter which did a number on my thyroid. So I have to take synthroid to supplement the thyroid hormone I no longer make naturally.

The only symptom I can remember (which caused my doctor to suggest I be tested for thyroid problems) was insomnia. I wish I had weight loss as that is a common symptom of over-active thyroid. I went to an endocrinologist who did a needle biopsy and also had me do some sort of imaging test (also with radioactive iodine). The test measured the rate uptake of the iodine.

My migraines are life-long. They've changed over the years (from occasional to chronic) but I cannot say the thyroid issue was the cause. Of course, it's always possible.

If you suspect thyroid problems, it couldn't hurt to be tested (it's a blood test). I hope you get some answers.

£eslie
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:48 pm

Hi Leslie,

I have had the tests and have Hashimoto's where my bodies antibodies are attacking the thyroid for no good reason.

Enough of the thyroid still exists to keep my thryoid hormone in range so I am not medicated.

I wonder (a lot) whether this unexplained attack on my thyroid, or anyone's autoimmune problem for that matter, explains other odd ball symptoms like migraine. Unfortunately in all my searching the answers just aren't known yet.

Like yourself and everyone else here, just going round and round and round in circles trying to figure out the chicken and egg theory that produces these weird ailments.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down