migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone interested in crocheting for money?...

5 posters

Go down

Anyone interested in crocheting for money?... Empty Anyone interested in crocheting for money?...

Post  CluelessKitty Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:13 pm

Just asking- nothing serious at this stage - just a question

I really really want to have a filet lace crocheted curtains made of thicker mesmerized cotton thread.
Size 200 x 130 cm or 6.5 x 4.2 something like that, and I need 5 of them What a Face

My dream is to have something like the ones from kitchen scene in The Sixths Sense - sorry can't find the piccie.
(would appreciate any help in this matter, though)
But I'd settle for a simple filet throughout with a pattern at the bottom - flowers, preferably, i.e roses...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

How much would that cost???

And just out of pure curiosity - how much would cost to do something like that:

I mean the peacock, without all that much hullaballoo around?

This is nice , too:

and this:

w-o-o-o-o-ow!!!!

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Anyone interested in crocheting for money?... Empty Re: Anyone interested in crocheting for money?...

Post  Mini Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:04 am

Look in old junk shops and antiques fairs - you can get old textiles for next to nothing.
I bought some beautiful embroidered table cloths for my tea table in the past, some in very fine linens (which cost a fortune new), for silly prices at car boot sales.
Old textitles are greatly undervalued (at least here in UK), since they do not suit many interiors these days. Or, ask some maiden aunties to dig in her old village dowry chest. I bet you will find what you are looking for.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Anyone interested in crocheting for money?... Empty Re: Anyone interested in crocheting for money?...

Post  annabella Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:25 am

My daughter is a member of this craft site and they do some amazing projects - maybe you could ask for help on one of their forums http://www.craftster.org/

hope you have a great new year

Annie

flower
annabella
annabella

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:26 pm

Mini - that's great idea, but I doubt this way I'll ever get them in the quantity I need.
Perhaps you've missed the fact that I need 5- FIVE- identical (or almost) curtains, and quite large at that.

So, even if I was lucky enough to find something this size - over 3 square meters- in the second hand store I doubt I would to find all same 5 of them.

Unless the whole project proves to be too expensive, only then I am prepared to settle with mismatched pieces.

But I do got a number of nice tablecloths, doilies and even old fashioned pillow tops this way for my sister in the past,
so yeah your idea was right on spot, though, and thank you for your suggestion all the same Smile

Annie- thank you, too - I'm gonna jump right now over there Smile

Risa

CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:51 pm

i'm thinking that wouldn't be cheap if made anywheres in the western world.

Back to top Go down

Post  ajr Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:15 pm

I looked at www.etsy.com for crocheted curtains and there were some crocheted items that were expensive!! I couldn't believe it! But that is a site that sells homemade items, etc. Good luck!!
ajr
ajr

Back to top Go down

Post  Enigma Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:15 pm

I used to crochet those in the 1980's. Made full size curtains for patio sliding doors and it was very labor intensive. It took a full year and I wouldn't now how to charge for something like that.

Problem was it is very light and doe'sn't hang well. I had to block it within a thin wood frame so it would hang attractively. This kind of crochet looks best as small pieces as top curtain accents in windows. Many dutch, belgium and danish do this.

I did some smaller panels for bathroom windows and it is really easy to do. Places that sell knitting and crochetting materials should have books on it (or online) I''m sure you could do it yourself

Otherwise, European antique shops is a good place to start.
Enigma
Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:17 pm

lol, I would if I had a patience for it Shocked

but I don't cyclops
I started twice something like that, and gave unfinished pieces to a second hand store, along with the remaining thread.

Hat's off for you for doing the patio piece!

That's why I wondered if someone would be interested.
I was thinking to have them made from tad thicker mercerized cotton,

but that's alright somebody very smart gave me an excellent idea for making them from something else -
a bedspread. I will tell who if that person wants to be named! And thank you, too!

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  annabella Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:47 am

Hi Risa,

i meant to mention that a lot of the bedspreads i saw on ebay were from the eastern european countries like bulgaria and they are beautiflul.

you have to get into the international ebay and not just the uk or usa ones. I didnt see ones with peacocks on them though. the postage was quite reasonable and they had high scores for being good ebayers.

if i get some time tomorrow i will go through some of them and send you some links to which may be suitable. if you want me to of course -- i dont want to seem like i am taking over but i do feel like a detective sometimes !!

I heard someone mention Etsy, i like etsy as well, but they dont usually handle stuff this big and intricate.

hope the night is kind to you

annie

flower
annabella
annabella

Back to top Go down

Post  annabella Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:12 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Pair-Crochet-Filet-Lace-Coverlet-Curtain-/250704178350?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5f222cae#ht_3280wt_906 - i just got sending through a lot of others and the site went down on me - maybe i posted too much but these are the ones from bulgaria.

anyway - i am off to bed now

flower
annabella
annabella

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:02 pm

Thanks, Annabelle! This beautiful! I'm going to peruse more!

I think I like the idea of cheaper bedspreads more - if I add the cost of actual curtains x 5, it is indeed beyond my means, ugh...

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down