migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Relaxing.....what's one of your favorites?

+9
kimsmom
VickiG
lesherb
30yrsofheadache
Petzi
cupatea
AZgirl
Paradox
Mini
13 posters

Go down

Relaxing.....what's one of your favorites? Empty Relaxing.....what's one of your favorites?

Post  Guest Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:24 pm

I like to listen to some tunes. I will not call rap muisc, LOL.

Anything from Beethoven to Mozart, or some whacky 80's stuff like Toto, The Kinks, or The Pretenders is game. Brings back a lot of memories.

I'll admit, a couple mellow glasses of bourbon and I'll crank up the speakers (thank gosh for England's Bowers & Wilkins). Seems to be an evening of enjoyment.

Wink

Back to top Go down

Relaxing.....what's one of your favorites? Empty Re: Relaxing.....what's one of your favorites?

Post  Mini Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:04 pm

I find listening to music is very much reflection of the mood I am in. To relax I love to listen to something mellow like Seal for example, or it could be Mozart - always Mozart really. I love the piano, therefore Chopin, Rahmaninov, oh so many others...
But then again, in certain moods I like wild, screaming Rock, like Jeff Beck guitar for example, specially when I am driving. I love The Eagels any time.
I adore early blues, this I can listen to any time as well as Motown. The list goes on and on.

I also become fascinanted from time to time with some pop people, then get bored with, afterr listening too much to one or two particular songs or CD.

At the moment I am enchanted by Paolo Nutini, and I am still not bored with him. Still like listening to Amy Winehouse, shame she is having so many problems, she is an incrediblke talented singer but it seems she is insistent on self destructing also Kate Melua - very sweet. I suppose the latter are all British so I am not suer how well known they are over in US.

But I am not listening to music,as much as I use to, as there are so many other distractions about (like computers!) etc.
I listen mainly on an i Pod type device, but mine is called here MP3, and it is brillant as I can have it with me walking from room to room, or take it out to the garden, or when going for walks etc. The quality of sound is really great.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Relaxing.....what's one of your favorites? Empty Re: Relaxing.....what's one of your favorites?

Post  Paradox Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:20 am

Lola, L-O-L-A, Lola.....

Love The Kinks.

I'm a 51 year old woman who is a rap fan. Well, one rapper in particular, I love Eminem, think hes a musical genius and have all his CDs.

Next to that I like musicals the best, Wicked being an all time favorite, next to Rocky Horror.

I don't sing well, but love to belt a song. particularly in the car with the radio cranked. Obviously only on good days.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:54 pm

For relaxing, I like to take a long bath. I select the bubbles, light some candles, turn on a fountain/light/music combo unit, and always have a cool beverage (water or iced tea) because I get very warm in the bath. I need to have a cool wash cloth on my forehead, and I have a blow-up pillow for my head and neck to rest on.

Give me a good 15-20 minutes in the bath, and I am totally relaxed.
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  cupatea Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:23 pm

Good topic, Marc!
Music is one of my biggest passions, as some of you are aware.
I grew up loving the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Beatles, ABBA, BeeGees, yadda yadda in England.

The 80's were really influential with all the New Wave, plus some Violent Femmes and Smiths thrown in. Give me some cheesy 80's anytime (except late 80's...shivvver).

My taste in music in the 90's and this past decade has been all over the place. I must say that I still love the music that my Dad introduced me to...Motown, Buddy Holly, Big Band. (probably my inspiration for going into jazz). I broadened out to bee-bop and Coltrane, Getz.
I also got really into Beethoven and Casal. Casal unbelievably so, that about a year and a half ago I rented a cello for a year and took lessons. Lets just say that I will never be any even 'wanna be' Casal!!!

So my tastes remain eclectic...rock-n-roll, Blues, jazz, alternative, punk, some hip-hop, Snoop. I try to find out new artists through referrals or youtube that I think are amazing and support them.

I'd take a bubble bath too! With my ipod speakers, a glass of vino and water and super hot water. Maybe tonight!!!!
Happy Holidays!

T

ps. I find myself really relaxing when I cook a fantastic dinner in the kitchen, while drinking a glass (or 2) of bubbly, dancing around and being obnoxious. Alone. Except for the bulldog with the dirty stare.

Last edited by cupatea on Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Remembered something!)
cupatea
cupatea

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:06 pm

These are some of my all time favorite tunes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDtIjLgdjaI&feature=related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXqAcmDtEXc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mbKjV5OChAv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3lHsxrdpTg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYgzaNmI9vE&feature=related

Relax, enjoy, forget .....

Love

P.
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:40 pm

You might have noticed that I get a most of my musical inspiration from movie sound tracks:

Here are a few more (all from Moby):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr-RWagxB2M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eDMHyfezxM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTIkDmNVJeA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBCkoDJkIOc&feature=related

Lalalala ....

P.
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:31 am

When I need to relax, I usually read or knit. Of course with migraine it is more difficult. I have to wear reading glasses and they hurt my head when it is sore.
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:49 pm

My taste in music is pretty much Rock n Roll (from being a little kid listening to the Beatles as my sister was a teen at the time) through the 70s (my high school years) with Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, The Stones, Van Halen on and on.

I don't listen to music much now. I cannot read and listen to music with lyrics. My husband likes country (which I find insipid) so he puts his headphones on while we're both in here on our computers.

The only time I ever listen to the music I like is when I am alone in the car, which rarely ever happens anymore.

As for baths.....I love those. Problem is the tub we have is uncomfortable. You can't lie down with your head leaning on the back end as the wall is flush with the surface of the tub. This makes your head jut forward. So, I haven't taken a bath in years! (wow, that sounds disgusting, doesn't it?)

When we go on a trip which requires a hotel stay, I'll usually take a bath then. Water costs a lot down here in Florida, too. I hate to use a lot of it. Our water bill is about $70 a month (but it includes our garbage and recycling). I remember in my first marriage (in the 80s) water cost about $30 every OTHER month, though garbage etc wasn't included).

I am in a rambling mood.....sorry about that.

Happy Holidays all,
£eslie
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:03 pm

You would love my bathtub, Leslie. A claw foot slipper tub with a reading light mounted slightly off center (so my head doesn't leave a shadow on the book). It was my main splurge when we built.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:26 pm

Hmmm....I wonder if my husband would like to take a trip to visit you? ;-)
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:39 am

I don't listen to music at all anymore. It tends to bother my head, but then there is also the emotional side that music used to be such a big part of my life that having had to give it up because of my head was so upsetting that I just avoid it altogether.

But I do love a nice bath. My parents had their bathrooms ripped out and redone a couple years ago, so we now have a deeper and slightly longer bathtub in my bathroom than is typical. We couldn't go with the one size larger that my dad wanted because it was too wide for the room. But in the cabin that my dad built in Hume Lake, he has a giant size tub, probably about 5.5 feet long. It's long and deep. He loves his BIG bathtub! But then, my dad is a very BIG man! He is 6'7" (or 5'19" as he likes to say), and he built most of the cabin to his size. All but the kitchen. The cabinets are very high, but the kitchen itself is tiny! You might think what a typical man, but my dad actually has liked to cook since he was young and took over a lot of the cooking in his house when he was a teenager because my grandmother's cooking was so bad! So you'd think that a man like that would have designed a bigger kitchen. Go figure!

But the thing I really like to do to relax is lie in bed and listen to my audio books. I often listen to ones I've heard many times before, so I can just fall asleep listening to them and don't have to worry about what is going to happen, since I know what already has happened before.

I also like to do crossword puzzles. I lie in bed and do crossword puzzles while my iPod is playing a book just before going to bed, and that helps me to relax!
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  kimsmom Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:08 am

I love to read and at the moment have not had enough time for it. An evening of reading without hearing a TV somewhere in the background is heaven.

I also can relax by working in the yard and gardening. I just love to garden. I know this seems strange but I love it. I cannot wait for March to start again. The weather is much too cold right now.

kimsmom
kimsmom
kimsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:35 am

Ohhh Kimsmom,

Gardening is heaven. I find peace in symmetry and order. There is always some topiary to clip and some pesky weed to annihilate. There are few things in live that are more satisfying then gardening.

I am also really good at garden design (self-taught) and have designed some lovely gardens and patios. A former friend of mine (a few of you might remember her from the dog incident) did a gardening design course and I designed all her course work for her (because I wanted to help her out and she was rubbish really). One of the gardens I did for her has even been exhibited at the Chelsea flower show.

I am looking forward to my retirement when all I will do all day long is potter about in my garden.

P.
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  lissy Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:59 am

mmmm bath. Something I haven't had in a long time. What a perfect idea. Thanks everyone. I love listening to music too. I'm trying this whole meditation thing at the moment - I think its called mindfulness. I can't seem to switch my brain off and just focus on the present but today I managed to just concentrate on my breathing with some peaceful music (classical with birds singing and waterfalls etc) playing. I felt so much more relaxed afterwards and looking forward to trying it again tomorrow. Its so much easier to do this stuff on holidays though. Hopefully I'll be in a routine when it comes time to going back to work in a couple of weeks.

Happy relaxing everyone.
lissy
lissy

Back to top Go down

Post  Enigma Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:06 am

I love to get out in the garden and the pond especially. I like to redirect Chaos into harmony and make weeds and moss my friends. Winter depresses me until I can get that Christmas tree and trim, but that is short lived.

In the winter I move furniture around. It's not the same.
Enigma
Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeneyes Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:22 am

Eating chocolate.. Okay any desserts..it is stressed spelled backwards

I pray

Take hot bubble baths

Read a magazine

Watch a movie with my sons and hubby

Go to bed..and take a nap..

I love music..it doesn't get along with my head all the time.. love Christian, acapella (yep, I was in choir), Country, any music from my childhood..my Dad always sang and had the radio playing.. I don't like rap, or screaming stuff to me that isn't music..

I doodle

Talk to my best friends..

It depends on the mood I'm in...

My favorite way to relax is looking at CHRISTmas lights..tis' the season <3
Greeneyes
Greeneyes

Back to top Go down

Post  lissy Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:31 am

I love singing too and am in a Choir. Its about the only thing I've managed to hold onto since this stupid pain. I tend to push myself to attend rehearsals no matter how I feel. I always feel so much better after - even if its just a mental improvement. All that deep breathing must be good for me!

Prayer is good too. Must do that more often.
lissy
lissy

Back to top Go down

Post  survivor Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:59 pm

I am not one that ever found music relaxing. I do find it a nice background to my mood if I am feeling okay.

I quickly get annoyed with most instrumental only music.

I don't like most rock. Frankly, I need to be drunk to listen to that. Went to see Beatles Love in Vegas and I doubt I would have made it through that without drinking. It would have been great to just see without all the SOUND ( I refuse to call it music).

I find reading and sewing both relaxing. I take baths if I am chilled but like to read in there when I do.

I like to set on my porch swing and read, too.

survivor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down