migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone read

+4
hpilgrim
LizzieB
ajr
WitsEnd
8 posters

Go down

Has anyone read Empty Has anyone read

Post  WitsEnd Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:43 am

The millenium trilogy??

If yes please don't spoil it for me! I''ve just about finished the second one but trying to drag it out while I await delivery of the third. It's been delayed because of the crazy weather here and I am getting impatient waiting!

I'm sad that the author died and there won't be any more of them Sad

WitsEnd
WitsEnd

Back to top Go down

Has anyone read Empty Re: Has anyone read

Post  ajr Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:43 pm

oooh - I love books that are in a series and I've hear good things about this one....I'll have to check those out!! They aren't confusing are they? Thanks for the tip!
ajr
ajr

Back to top Go down

Post  WitsEnd Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:07 pm

The are not confusing at all Smile I have never read books quite like them before. They were originally written in Swedish and have been translated into English, but please don't let that put you off.

I found the first one very very difficult to get into (it was third time lucky in my case). Too many Swedish names to take in at the start of the book but I'm so glad I pushed through it.

The character Lisbeth Salander is a one off and well written. Never came across a character like her before.

Just to make your searching easier, the first one is called The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, the second The Girl Who Played With Fire and the third The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest.

Would Highly recommend all who like to read to read them!

WitsEnd
WitsEnd

Back to top Go down

Post  ajr Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:12 pm

Okay, that's exactly what it was now that you mention it....I saw they were re-translated and I thought that would be confusing. So glad to know it isn't an issue...I have got to read these now!! Thanks for the info. I love reading.
ajr
ajr

Back to top Go down

Post  LizzieB Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:20 pm

I enjoyed them too, definitely page-turners. I think they've been translated very well. I know what you mean about the beginning of 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' where everyone is being introduced but when you get past that, it's plain sailing Smile

Anyone read Cutting for Stone by A Verghese? I read it recently and would recommend that too.
LizzieB
LizzieB

Back to top Go down

Post  ajr Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:00 pm

Cutting for Stone sounds good too - I looked it up on Amazon! I like getting all these ideas of things to read. Right now I'm reading "Even Silence Has an End" by Ingrid Betancourt (held hostage in Columbia for 6 years....ugh). I enjoyed "A Reliabile Wife" by Robert Goolrick and "The Outlander" by Gil Adamson. I finished the Pillars of the Earth and World Without End by Ken Follet over the summer. I would like to read Ken Follet's new trilogy (only the first book has come out - but only in hardcover so far Sad ) called Fall of Giants. I have a lot of books I need to read - just need to find the time to do it!
ajr
ajr

Back to top Go down

Post  hpilgrim Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:23 pm

I read them a while back... very different, very graphic in places...
Not my usual fare, but I read all three, which says something, I guess --
Holly
hpilgrim
hpilgrim

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:49 pm

I have also read all three books. I think you need to read the second book, right before you read the third. If not, you get somewhat lost.

If you decide to see the movies (Swedish), I believe you should read the books first. I saw the first movie and I would have been lost, if I have not read the book.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  kimsmom Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:39 pm

Glad you all put these books in order for me. I have the first two ones bought for Christmas gifts and did not know they were a trilogy. I will get the last one now for sure. I am looking forward to some good reading. Things have been very hectic in my house for a while and I do not get much down time.

I found them at Costco for those who wish to buy them. I will go back now and get the third.

Thanks for the ideas...

kimsmom
kimsmom
kimsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  WitsEnd Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:05 pm

Martin, I would have gone stir crazy if I had been reading them as they were published. I would not have been able to wait the necessary month between the second and the third. I wanted so BADLY to know what happens!!! (I have no patience lol)
I agree with you. I wouldn't ever watch the film before reading the book. It's one piece of advice my excellent English teacher gave me that I follow strictly. It's never let me down!

I'm a bit miffed actually, I think I would have really enjoyed reading Shutter Island, but I didn't realise it was based on a book until after I'd watched the film Sad

Holly, I read a lot of different things but these we not my usual thing either but I'm so glad I read them.

I got the third one on Monday and have read the first 100 pages or so but was too unwell last week to get stuck into it properly. I plan to pick it up when I'm finished here Very Happy

Kimsmom, PLEASE don't let the start of the first one put you off. As mentioned in my earlier post, a lot of people find it hard to get in to but it is worth it!

I hope you enjoy them.
WitsEnd
WitsEnd

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:24 pm

witsend said:
Martin, I would have gone stir crazy if I had been reading them as they were published. I would not have been able to wait the necessary month between the second and the third. I wanted so BADLY to know what happens!!! (I have no patience lol)
I agree with you. I wouldn't ever watch the film before reading the book. It's one piece of advice my excellent English teacher gave me that I follow strictly. It's never let me down!

The third book "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest" was not translated into English for sometime. So I had to wait until it was translated. I kept checking on the Kindle Store for it's release.

There some movies that are much better than the book. The movie "Blade Runner" comes to mind. The book on which the movie is based "Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep" was terrible. By the way, the "Blade Runner" is one of my all time favorite science fiction movies.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  annabella Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:58 pm

they are fantastic, well written, great character and plot development, cant say enough about them, loved them. just watched the film ''the girl with the dragon tattoo'' - loved that as well. i would recommend them to all who enjoy a read with great action, intelligence and mystery. it's also fantastic to have a female ''hero''.

dont worry too much about remembering the characters names, although difficult, you will get the hang of them in no time.

flower
annabella
annabella

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:02 am

I've heard the names a lot, but can you give me a brief idea of what they are about? Or at least their genre and style? I like mystery, but nothing too hard-core. To use my best friend's term, I like "cozy mysteries." I like other genres too, but I don't want things to be too intense because I use my books (audio books) to help me relax and go to sleep. Yes, I am a sucker for Tom Clancy's books. Has anyone read his newest? Is it worth buying? I didn't like his previous one. The premise that they created a secret agency just to assassinate suspected terrorists went against the grain of my belief in democracy and a fair trial! But I like them because they are full of thought and logic. I like the analysis that goes into what turns into action later. The abridged versions just had the action, and I think they missed out on so much! It was much more fun to hear about the politics and other thoughts that went into the decision to make the actions.

I hope I've made my tastes fairly clear here. Is this a series you think I'd go for, or is it too intense for me?
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  hpilgrim Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:51 am

Well... these aren't cozy, get sleepy books, that's for sure. The heroine has been horribly abused, she is a foster child in the "system" (abused there) and labeled "retarded" ---- but she is anything but retarded, she has a "savant" level brain in math, computers, and many other skills, and a huge burning cloud of revenge and hate for the perpetrators... she does not make friends or play nice at all!

But you are on her side all the way, and these are real page-turners... the kind of book that keeps me up all night reading!
Holly

hpilgrim
hpilgrim

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:15 am

Last night, I watched "The Girl Who Played with Fire," good movie (Swedish with English sub-titles). It explains why the heroine is the way she is and explains some of what she experienced.

Again, read the book first, it will add to the movie and you will have a much better understanding of the characters and the plot.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down