migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else read this?

+2
CluelessKitty
pen
6 posters

Go down

Anyone else read this? Empty Anyone else read this?

Post  pen Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:34 pm

And what did you think of it...

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/08/12/why-migraines-strike.aspx

pen

Back to top Go down

Anyone else read this? Empty Re: Anyone else read this?

Post  CluelessKitty Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:23 pm

Well perhaps not precisely this exact article by dr Mercola, but yes I knew about that.
This very article is from 2008, btw.

That the root of M might be in the brain stem yes, this is most plausible to me. And that M is a disorder of central nervous system, also kinda well known fact.

There was a rush of 'neurological' info with the invention of MRI, CAT scan, PET scan and the like technology.
It really helped to dispel the myth of M being psychological/psychosomatic disorder once and for all.
Only the undereducated and antiquated doctors/scientists still believe this crapola today.

Unfortunately the research is not enough to offer the cure... sigh.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:37 pm

If only Risa.
I hadnt seen it before, thanks for commenting.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  TeriRobert Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:54 pm

It's right that Migraine is no longer considered a vascular headache. However, much of the rest of it is not what's being researched and discussed among Migraine experts and researchers. The brain stem is being looked at, along with other parts of the brain, but it's more likely that the areas involved in the beginnings of a Migraine attack are the trigeminal nerve, spinal trigeminal nucleus caudilis, and the thalamus.

This comes from major hitters in Migraine research including Burstein, Bigal, Ramadan, and Goadsby.

Truthfully, I've never been very impressed with Mercola. I hope I don't offend anyone, but he strikes me as "a jack of all trades, but master of none." He's all of the the place with so many different illnesses and diseases, I don't know how he manages to speak authoritatively to any one in particular.

In the US, a huge part of the burden of research is left to the pharma industry. The problem with that is that the pharma industry needs the really basic research into the pathophysiology and etiology of Migraine before they'll ever be able to develop truly novel treatments for us. That's the kind of research that needs to come from the NIH. Approximately 12% of Americans have Migraine disease, yet less than 1/10th of 1% of the NIH budget goes into the research of Migraine and ALL other headache disorders.

Oops. OK. Stepping down from that soapbox now.

Teri

TeriRobert

http://www.HelpForHeadaches.com, www.MyMigraineConnection.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:08 pm

Teri,

If you don't mind, please post a link or further elaborate on the new findings of causes of a migraine. Most of the research I have read has not been updated to reflect the trigeminal nerve theory. I'd really be interested in learning more.

I will do further research on my own, but I find a lot of articles that you post are very easy to understand compared to the google searches that I find. I look up about 3/4's of the words of a sentence because the vocabulary is a little out of my reach! Laughing
Thanks
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:08 pm

Yes please Teri. I have no head for some of the articles. No pun intended.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  xmom Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:00 pm

I couldn't open the article and didn't feel like registering.. but honestly I don't trust much of anything on his site. Seems a little too sensational and not research-based.

xmom

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:17 pm

I havent registered Emily, and it is a trustworthy site.
Bit of confusion here I think. Mercola does tend to collate from others.

Not sensational I assure you, I wouldn't go there.
Its just another perspective is all.
It is interesting, but Teri has paraphrased quite a bit of it for us.

Very Happy

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  TeriRobert Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:38 am

Gia and Pen,

I'm in the process of putting together an article on the pathophysiology of Migraine. It's taking me a while to get it written, largely because of what you said -- it's hard to understand journal articles and the like.

At conferences, I've attended sessions where all of this was discussed, and that's why I could address this a bit here. Some of the doctors who present and teach other doctors at these conferences are helping me get a better grip on all of the information so I can write it at a level we can all understand. Some of these issues are ones that I have the answrs in my head, but just can't get them into words. Hope that makes sense. It's just that they're so complex. I swear I need to take a good course in neuroanatomy!

Anyway, I'm sorry I don't have anything written yet, and I hope it prove worth the wait when I get it done.

Teri

TeriRobert

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:56 am

Take your time Teri, I'm sure it will be well worth the wait.

Thank you for your dedication in the community. I really appreciate it. Very Happy
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:01 pm

lovegia wrote:Take your time Teri, I'm sure it will be well worth the wait.

Thank you for your dedication in the community. I really appreciate it. Very Happy

I concur. Teri;thank you. Good to have you here.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:29 pm

Teri,

I noticed that you mentioned the Trigeminal Nerve as a possible cause of migraines. I have Bilateral Type II Trigeminal Neuralgia on all three branches and have wondered if there is a comorbity with migraines and TN. I've had migraines since I was 12 and have been chronic for the last 21 years, in all 37 years of migraines. I think my T Nerve just gave out after all that over stimulation.

Needless to say, when I get a migraine the TN pain escallates. It's horrible. I'm hoping that if there is link between the two, better medication choices might come about for TN. Any thoughts?

Thank you
Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  TeriRobert Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:44 pm

Thanks, ladies!

Teri

pen wrote:
lovegia wrote:Take your time Teri, I'm sure it will be well worth the wait.

I concur. Teri;thank you. Good to have you here.

TeriRobert

Back to top Go down

Post  TeriRobert Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:47 pm

Alli,

Migraine and TN are freuqently comorbid, meaning that they occur at the same time without either causing the other.

Neuralgia and Migraine disease are very different pathophysiologically. I think it's quite possible for TN to trigger a Migraine attack, but not for it to cause the disease. Make sense?

Teri

alli wrote:Teri,

I noticed that you mentioned the Trigeminal Nerve as a possible cause of migraines. I have Bilateral Type II Trigeminal Neuralgia on all three branches and have wondered if there is a comorbity with migraines and TN. I've had migraines since I was 12 and have been chronic for the last 21 years, in all 37 years of migraines. I think my T Nerve just gave out after all that over stimulation.

Needless to say, when I get a migraine the TN pain escallates. It's horrible. I'm hoping that if there is link between the two, better medication choices might come about for TN. Any thoughts?

Thank you
Alli

TeriRobert

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:16 pm

oh yes. I have definitely noticed that when a TN attack goes on too long, it triggers a migraine. THis has been the pattern for years. It took getting the TN dx to realize the one of my biggest triggers has been TN attacks.

I just wish that my Dr's could figure out how to get me out of most of this pain. THe medication roulette wheel is getting old. But we all feel like that, don't we?

Thanks for your response.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down