migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back Ache??

+2
annabella
AZgirl
6 posters

Go down

Back Ache?? Empty Back Ache??

Post  AZgirl Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:21 pm

I'm having some achy pains in my lower back. Someone mentioned ulcers, and how the pain can be felt in the back. I don't remember who. I'm concerned because I have been taking some excedrin everyday for about the last 2 weeks, which is new for me, and I have been taking 2 aleve a day for about 3 months. (yes, excedrin and aleve on the same day, and sometimes some indocin on top of all of that, and no, my neuro doesn't know)

Sometimes my tummy hurts and I take some tums or some calcium and it feels a bit better.

Can someone tell me what the back pain feels like when you have an ulcer?

I have not strained my back or injured my back, so the pain is not from anything like that.

Thanks.

AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Back Ache?? Empty Re: Back Ache??

Post  annabella Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:05 am

Hi Azgirl,
It was most likely me that mentioned the back pain. I have sent you a link to Merck Manual which explains what may be the cause of differing back and abdominal pain when the stomach is involved. Please don't freak-out as it is a medical site meant for Medical Professionals. Ulcers are now known to be caused by a bacteria and there is a simple breath test that can indicate if you have one. http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec09/ch119/ch119b.html

Irritable stomachs may be made worse by the medications we take (or food for that matter).

If it lasts for too much longer best to maybe fess-up to your doctor and then have some tests done.

flower
annabella
annabella

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:30 pm

Thanks for the link. I did go to the primary doctor today and she prescribed a once-daily generic prilosec and I am go schedule myself for an upper GI. I freaked out overnight when an innocent sip of water produced stomach pain. She said no more aleve and excedrin, and no caffiene or spicy foods. No problem, I'm not up to eating anyway Sad
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  ajr Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:55 am

I bet it is your medication causing the problems. When my son was taking keterolac (oral toradol pills) they were the only thing that even touched his migraine pain, and we were using it as perscribed. Then he was complaining about his stomach and we thought it was to do with the migraines, but after he had an upper GI we found out it was causing these red patches on his stomach lining. So needless to say, we had to stop using that. It took us a while to realize it was the medication because I didn't think we were using it that often.

I take 2 aleve in the am and 2 aleve in the pm, but I haven't added in anything else except for tylenol here and there. So far so good, but I'm hoping I don't end up with stomach issues too. I guess time will tell. Question

I hope your prilosec helps!
ajr
ajr

Back to top Go down

Post  annabella Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:11 am

Hi AZ,

glad you went to your doctor. I hope you get in soon for your test and that it all turns out ok.

flower
annabella
annabella

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:29 pm

I have like forever a backache that started after my last UTI, seems like.
The UTI was treated, and the test showed it's gone after the antibiotic taken, but the back pain remains.
It is OK if I am not doing anything but as soon as I walk for one, two hrs or do chores esp. if I have to carry something then it's back with vengeance.
I talked to my dr about that but she dismissed me as"something that is normal for women my age",
and no tests, no X-ray, no nothing, pfftt.

My father suffered with slipped disc and other severe back problems, but I hope it's not something hereditary. yikes!

Well I have private theory seeing how I and my daughter often have severe back pain during the ovulation and around period,
that it definitely can be somehow connected with female stuff. Perhaps hormonal, perhaps it's the pain radiating from the ovaries??? I dunno but my guts are telling me it's the female problem so my dr can be right
about that in this aspect it's "women" alright,
but it's not the spine, it's the reproductive system.

I also found out yesterday that if a woman feels like she has UTI but the test for UTI is negative,
the next common cause for such pain is a low estrogen.
and I do have such pain once in a while for a few days, put of the blue, worrying what will come of it.
usually it passes on its own, thankfully - now I know why. low estrogen!

If one puts it all together.. hmmm... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Risa

CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Well, I will have the upper GI in 2 weeks.

It can't be ovaries because I had a complete hysterectomy years ago.

Poor tummy still hurts, and now I have gone more than 24 hours without pain meds for my head, and my head is hurting. I can't win. I am going to have to call my neuro and get some hydrocodone. Primary physician said to only take tylenol. Well, tylenol isn't going to touch my head pain, so there is no point in taking it. That's why I was taking aleve, indocin, and excedrin.....that's what it took to help the pain.

AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:28 pm

hmmmm.. the Tums help, eh?

then I am afraid it can be an ulcer or beginning of something like that.

Aleve is naproxen, right?
It is NSAID, and for me it is one of the very strong meds for the belly, I can't take it.
One pill of 325 mg of Naproxen is enough to make my stomach hurts for days.
So is any other NSAID.

With the amount of meds we are taking, it is so easy to hurt our intestines.
Please be very careful Lynelle, perhaps it would be better if you told your primary the truth and asked for some narcotic pain relief for the time being?

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:01 am

Oh, I did tell my primary what I have been taking. It was the first thing I suggested when she asked what was wrong. She knows....it's my neuro that doesn't know yet. She'll find out next month when I go in for my regular office visit.

I have my upper GI scheduled for Nov 17. Seems like a long time to wait. I'm supposed to be avoiding caffiene and spicy foods. No problem avoiding the spicy foods, but I have iced tea all day long. I'll just switch to decaffienated.

Tums has still been my best relief.

Yes, Aleve is naproxen.

I'm glad I haven't gotten a refill on my indocin. It would be sitting unused.

I did take some tylenol yesterday for my head, simply because I didn't have any other options, and it helped a little. Bed rest helped more.

I'll just take it easy and avoid the spicy foods I guess. Today my tummy felt a lot better than it has in the last 3 or 4 days or so, so that is good news.
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:15 pm

Upper GI test finally nearing.....it is on Wednesday. They told me not to eat for 12 hours prior. Had been doing really well with the prilosec until today. Had pain on the right side of my tummy all day. Not even Tums help that pain today. I will get my answers on Wednesday.
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  annabella Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:47 pm

Good luck for Wednesday - I hope you get some definite answers.

flower
annabella
annabella

Back to top Go down

Back Ache?? Empty Chiropractor Lawrenceville GA

Post  pauljackson Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:43 am

I had some back problems cause of sitting job and bad routine so met a chiropractor the treatment technique involves manual therapy, including manipulation of the spine, other joints, and soft tissues Posture Exercise designed for your body to retrain poor patterns of body motion.You should consult an expert.

Chiropractor Lawrenceville GA

pauljackson

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:53 pm

It was a spammer that bumped this but it made me wonder what you found out.

Did you get any answers? Did you tell us in a different thread I missed? I've been focused on me and not reading as closely as usual.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:30 pm

Yeah, me too, Lynelle. Any news, sweetie?
How are you doing?

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:35 pm

Well the upper GI pointed me in the direction (incorrectly) of the neurosurgeon, as the doctor reading the results thought my shunt tubing had become disconnected. When I showed the films to the neurosurgeon's assistant, she said the tubing was fine. She read the report and realized the doctor who wrote the report thought I had a different shunt than what I actually have.

That lead to being referred to a general surgeon and having a 3D CT scan to check for adhesions caused by the shunt tubing. I had the scan, and no one has ever called me back.

The pain has since subsided. My neurosurgeon has left his practice and moved out of state. I tried calling the general surgeon once but their office was closed.

Since I feel fine, I am not taking any further action on this, and will assume it was from taking too much Aleve (was taking 3 pills daily since July). Although the upper GI showed no ulcers or bleeding I am still linking the pain to the meds.

Thanks for asking about me.
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down