migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A quilt I am making for a Christmas present

+9
pen
Mianna
Brenda
AZgirl
Petzi
ajr
lentils
Almostangela
survivor
13 posters

Go down

A quilt I am making for a Christmas present Empty A quilt I am making for a Christmas present

Post  survivor Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:58 pm

My husband's family draws names and we have to make the gift. My SIL asked for curtains for her bedroom or a quilt to go with her Gone With the Wind items in her bedroom.

I have explanations for all the blocks in the center if anyone is interested. The other fabrics are all Civil War Reproduction fabrics. I am calling it "Frankly, Julie" because that is her name.

The pictures aren't very good because I took them inside with my cell phone. It was too windy outside. I just wanted someone to see it.

Center of quilt

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is the quilt top laid out on my son's bed. The blue and brown at the bottom is the quilt on his bed underneath quilt top I made.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I hope I did that correctly! I have to be careful where I post it so that she won't see it.

survivor

Back to top Go down

A quilt I am making for a Christmas present Empty Re: A quilt I am making for a Christmas present

Post  Almostangela Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:27 pm

How lovely!!!!!!! Your SIL is so lucky and you are so talented!!!

My mother has quilted for years and I know the tons of work that goes into one of those.

Simply beautiful.
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

A quilt I am making for a Christmas present Empty quilt

Post  lentils Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:36 pm

OMG, this is gorgeous. I love GWTW and so does my daughter. I'll bite, what do the two blocks represent? Do you live in Atlanta?

lentils

Back to top Go down

A quilt I am making for a Christmas present Empty Re: A quilt I am making for a Christmas present

Post  survivor Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:48 pm

No, I don't live in Atlanta.

The block in the upper left of the center piece is a replica of those used for quilts for the Sanitary Commission. This was a Northern group and they made quilts for use in hospitals and then as bedrolls. The quilts were to be 48"x84". I found fabric with Civil War scenes and incorporated it into the block.

The Southern ladies made gun boat quilts that were raffled off to raise money for iron clad boats. This quickly changed to money for medical supplies. The technique used was Broderie Perse. Because fabric with larger floral designs was quite expensive in the 18th and 19th century - remember it was woven and not printed - small amounts of fabric were bought. The individual flowers were cut out and appliqued onto a larger piece of fabric.

I don't do applique so I embroidered the bottom left block to represent that.

The bottom right is a Civil War era pattern that I put in because it is called Jacob's Ladder and the family name is Jacob.

survivor

Back to top Go down

Post  ajr Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:57 am

She will love that!! She got very lucky having you draw her name for a present. Very Happy It's beautiful.
ajr
ajr

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:43 pm

Wow, that is amazing. I have no idea how to make a quilt. It must have taken you a while to produce it.
I love all things creative and fidgety. Well done!

P.
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:12 pm

Gorgeous! Everyone is right, she will love it.
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Absolutely gorgeous! I'm sure she'll be thrilled.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  Mianna Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:08 am

Way too cool!! Impressed! Thank you for sharing your creation!
Mianna
Mianna

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:28 am

This is wonderful. We just dont do this in England and I dont know why.
My daughter wanted to do one with all her old metal t shirts, but she couldnt even seem to start.
You are very clever.

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:30 am

Very nice. Quilting is not my thing but my hat's off to those who do. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  crt Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:16 pm

How impressive. Absolutely wonderful! I only once received a handmaid gift that was as nice as this. Your SIL is so fortunate. I think she will be blown away.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  survivor Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:49 pm

Thank you for all your nice words. Quilting never was my thing, either but sewing always was. I have always made what we needed. I did custom spreads for each of the kids when we moved into this house to coordinate with their room decor. I have done several weddings, all the kids' costumes, dresses for show choirs, curtains/drapes, etc...

I just didn't quilt. Seemed kind of "old lady" like to me. Now, I enjoy playing with colors and the fact I can leave it for months and it will still be "in style" when I finish it.

This was one I had to get done though.

Everyone makes the gifts. So, it isn't anything too special in this family. They are all very talented.

survivor

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:55 pm

That is beautiful work! I am so envious of the patience and skill involved in sewing and other handmade crafts.

My step-daughter made us a quilt with her children in the center. I bought a quilt hanger (on the wall) and have it displayed in our guest room. I wish I could do things like this.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:04 pm

"Seemed kind of old lady"

Yep thought the same thing when I started crochet.

Amazing how people like a present that is hand made though.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  survivor Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:32 pm

It does depend on the person, Marion. My stepfamily would get mad if I sewed at Christmas. They felt they were getting cheated if I didn't go buy something. One of the many reasons I don't miss thos people!

I can crochet, too. I have lots of "old" skills. comes from growing up poor. I still "put up" food and I can butcher most anything. I have a wringer washer in my basement and I still hang my clothes on the line though I use the automatic washer. It is one of my forms of excercise!

But sewing is a pleasure. It is nice to be able to say, "I accomplished something!" I am sure you all understand that sentiment.

survivor

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:41 pm

It could almost be a test of character - whether someone appreciates the effort of something handmake or wants the plastic do-dah.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

A quilt I am making for a Christmas present Empty old skills

Post  lentils Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:43 pm

Almost everyone in Australia still hangs clothes. I brought my Australian clothesline (HIlls hoist) to the US because I would've missed it:).

lentils

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:36 am

In our lean times these skills will soon be valued again. I think it is a shame that hardly anybody makes or mends things anymore. Once the ashtray is full a new car has to be bought. I love everything creative and I am good at it. I can also draw really well. Sometimes I wonder if there is a link between creativity and migraine. There is certainly a link between creativity and depression.

P.
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  survivor Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:50 am

marion wrote:It could almost be a test of character - whether someone appreciates the effort of something handmake or wants the plastic do-dah.

My step siblings would fail that test! Funny thing is the neices felt just the opposite. They were very excited if I had their name for Christmas.

Petzi, I don't know if there is a link. I am more of mathematical person than an artistic individual. Sewing and cooking are about as creative as I get but I am very good at both.

survivor

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:24 am

I think a lot of people appreciate the work that goes into something had made. For my cousins wedding gifts, my mom and I either crochet or knit an afghan for them. For bridal shower, they get crocheted dish rags, trivet, hotpads and embroidered dish towels - the brides use these for special occasions although that was not the intention. The response from the single cousins is always - you're gonna do that for me when I get married, right? Smile

I think these are handy skills to have and I'm glad I've learned. I knit, crochet, sew (I attempt baby quilts but I wouldn't call it quilting in the true sense) including tailoring, cross stitch, other needle work plus bead. Survivor - I think it is a relic of growing up poor...I did too.

One interesting thing to note...I'm very much a math/science/logic minded person. The pain psychologist I've been seeing told me to take some art classes to engage the other side of the brain. I think it is to engage the more emotional part and that somehow leads to being able to better cope with pain. I thought it bizarre at the time, but I think it makes sense.

HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  survivor Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:00 am

I suppose I could be called a math/science person. I double majored in Chemistry and Computer Science with a minor in Math. Can you say NERD?

I don't enjoy handwork as much as I do machine work but I can do it. I think I like the planning and tweaking to get the look I am after. I have an embroidery machine, a serger, a quilting machine and a regular sewing machine. Oh yeah, I have a treadle machine, too. That is actually fun!

I like working on all of them, too.

I think people appreciate what I do for them but I am still programed to feel aprehensive given my experience with my step family.

I was invited to a rather odd babyshower last year. it was an openhouse. You just dropped your gift off and the mother opened it later. The paternal grandmother told me that everything I made was so nice the mother didn't want to use it. That was not what I intended, either. LOL

It is good that we can find some release. A couple of years ago I decided I had wits enough to cut some fabric with a rotary cutter. I have a scar from 8 stitches that shows I should have picked a less dangerous step in my hobby!

You all should post some of your creativity. I would love to see what others do for fun/relaxation.

survivor

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:09 am

Good idea Survivor. I'll get some pictures and hopefully post this weekend. I always find it inspiring what others do. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down