migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Allergy meds

4 posters

Go down

Allergy meds Empty Allergy meds

Post  30yrsofheadache Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:19 am

I seem to have trouble with most decongestants and antihistamines causing worsening of headache. I get stuffiness that leads to migraine from fall/spring allergies and dairy. I have tried Sudafed, Benedryl, Claritin. Anyone have any other ideas? I am tired and stuffy right now! Hoping I dont catch my daughters cold on top. I have 6 petsits on Sunday...
Thanks,
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Allergy meds Empty Re: Allergy meds

Post  Paradox Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:34 am

I put a pot ofboiling water on the stove. Once there's a lot of steam I put a towel over my head like a tent and put my head over the pot. The steam helps break up a lot of the crud.

I also rinse my nose with saline drops and swear by Vicks Vapo Rub (plus it brings me back to my childhood when I smell it).

Get better soon!
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:14 am

Charlotte had some great ideas. A hot shower will work the same as the pot of boiling water. Just sit in the room if you don't want to get in. But if you do, let the water run over your face - it feels good and seems to help break up the junk. Also warm foods can help break it up or spicy. I just know when I eat something warm it helps clear the sinuses.

I've got a cold at the moment that is making me completely miserable and don't have the meds on hand so I'm doing what I can to break the stuff up.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:45 am

I do exactly the same as Charlotte except I have a little one person steamer which avoids the towels and means if I put Karvol or Vicks in the water it doesnt make the pot smell. Also I cant stand the whole towel thing....claustrophobic. BUT, yup steam and saline help me, I cant take the decongestant meds at all....

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:47 pm

Thanks ladies. I always for et about that. Will have to try it tonight after it cools down, it got warm today. I finally shut the windows and turned on the AC. My hubbie was complaining about not letting fresh air in. Not so great when allergies are acting up.
Hugs,
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down