migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blood pressure med + anti-deppressent med

+12
crt
msmolly
survivor
HeelerLady
WitsEnd
estre004
ShelliB
rileyoday
Ivy
Sara79
AZgirl
Kate
16 posters

Go down

Blood pressure med + anti-deppressent med Empty Blood pressure med + anti-deppressent med

Post  Kate Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:20 pm

Just talked to someone who takes blood pressure med and a anti-depressent med. They said that they haven`t had a m in 5 months. Has anyone had luck with this type of combo?

Kate

Back to top Go down

Blood pressure med + anti-deppressent med Empty Re: Blood pressure med + anti-deppressent med

Post  AZgirl Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:23 pm

I once took verapamil as a preventative. Is that a blood pressure med? I must not have had much success with it, as I no longer take it.
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Blood pressure med + anti-deppressent med Empty Re: Blood pressure med + anti-deppressent med

Post  Sara79 Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:25 am

Yes, verapamil is a blood pressure med, it is a calcium channel blocker. I've tried both meds before, and I had short term relief with both, when I first started taking them, but now I'm finding they've become less effective.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:41 am

not personally, but I know two migraine sufferers who did and found no major relief in the long term.
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Blood pressure med + anti-deppressent med Empty blood pressure med

Post  rileyoday Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:04 am

I had tried different BP meds for M control. calcium channel and beta blockers did not help. I have gotten almost complete relief with

clonodine which is used as a BP med and does indeed lower my BP and pulse quite a bit. November will be one year.

I had been on some anti deppresant meds with no sucess and never in a combo with BP. Hope you find something soon.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Post  ShelliB Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:12 am

I take both a blood pressure med (verapamil) and two anti depressants. Have not had any luck with my migraines.
ShelliB
ShelliB

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:07 pm

No relief for me either. They make me sleep like a baby though.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  WitsEnd Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:25 pm

I take a beta blocker called Atenolol. It's dramatically improved my migraines.

Sometimes I have to take a break from it as I get too used to it. When I take a break from it I usually get put on Amitiptyline (sp), which turns me into a zombie.

I have no side effects with Atenolol.
WitsEnd
WitsEnd

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:32 pm

Witsend - You are suppose to take Amitriptiline at night, not during the day. It makes me sleep like a baby and very restedl the next day.
I'm still waiting to see if it helps my migraines. I'm suppose to take it for 3 months like everything else to see if it is working. I haven't had one in 6 days which is unusual. We will see.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:57 pm

Estree - in some of us it turns us into zombies even if taken at night. I tried it and took it before bed and could barely get out of bed the next morning let alone function. Sad
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:03 pm

Heelerlady - Sorry. I know drugs all affect us different. I was just taking 25 mg and used it just to get to sleep because it wasn't really helping my migraines. My neuro decided to up it and my first question was weather it would make me groggy the next day. He said, "no" - that is why you take it at night. We actually are better off talking to each other and using them just to get the meds. Another example is hydrocodone. I was told to use as last resort in order to go to sleep if nothing was working. If I take it, I am up for hours. It has the opposite effect.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  survivor Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Try taking Benedryl with the hydrocodone in order to sleep. It keeps me awake, too. Unfortunately Benedryl gives me severe chest pain for some reason now.

I took Amitriptylene at night and I was too stupid to find my way to work most days. I did better with Nortriptylene. But I have taken BP meds and anti-depressants to no avail.

We are all so different.

survivor

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:56 am

Survivor - We are all definitely different when it comes to the reaction we have from drugs we take. I'm thinking we all have one thing in common though that is the key to helping solve the whole migraine problem. They just have to find it. We are taking the majority of these drugs for nothing just hoping to hit on the right one. I think if they can find the one thing we have in common, they can come up with a drug that works for all of us. Just think of other diseases. The people with them pretty much take the same medications. But, for migraines we all take multiple different ones. It is sad that for centuries not much has been done about this disease until recently. Just think of the lives it destroyed because it was "just a headache".

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:17 am

Right on. One thing I've noticed is that a lot of us that nothing has really worked for are very sensitive to side-effects and that drugs don't do what is expected. That's something in common. What do you do with that I don't know... Just goes to show that we are wired a bit differently

A couple of examples....Benadryl doesn't make me tired. Amytriptylene turned me into a total zombie. Nortriptylene raised my bp and resting hr (this almost doubled). Celexa interacted with any other drug it was combined with. Topamax had some serious mood disturbances. And many others had such horrid s/e that the plug got pulled before they could do anything.

HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  msmolly Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:21 am

I have had good luck with taking Lisinopril, a BP med, and Nortryptoline as preventatives. At first it seemed a miracle, cut migraine frequency from 3-4 a week to about 4 a month, but eight months later I seem to be getting them much more frequently again. I see my neuro next week and will see if he wants to increase the dosage of the Lisinopril, which he said might be necessary when I started this. Currenly take 50 MG of Nortriptoline at night, 10 of Lisinopril in the AM.
msmolly
msmolly

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:19 am

Do most meds eventually stop working and you have to try something else?

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:49 pm

So far I've been on the same abortive for years and it still works almost every time - Migranal.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  crt Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:27 pm

Kate wrote:Do most meds eventually stop working and you have to try something else?

That has not been my experience. I have been taking Maxalt to abort migraines since '98. It works as well as it did the first day I tried it.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:38 pm

Anna started a new beta blocker last week. It is called Bystolic.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  kemchua Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:41 pm

AZgirl wrote:I once took verapamil as a preventative. Is that a blood pressure med? I must not have had much success with it, as I no longer take it.

I had short term relief with both, when I first started taking them, but now I'm finding they've become less effective.

exotic lingerie
Outsourcing agencia de traducciones

kemchua

Back to top Go down

Post  Mianna Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:37 am

During one span of my migraine life.....Inderal and Elavil were a most helpful combo. Gave me a year of almost normal life to attend college for a year. Then........it just sorta stopped working.

No 2 of us are alike! I'm a believer in trying it.
Mianna
Mianna

Back to top Go down

Post  newtothis Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:13 am

I take 80 mg Verapamil 3X a day and 2 Nortriptylene at bedtime. I find that if I don't get several hours of sleep I feel the Nortriptylene in the morning so if I go to bed late i'll only take 1 instead of 2. This has been helping me for several months now but in the last two weeks i've been finding my aura symptoms strengthing again without knowing why.
newtothis
newtothis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down