migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Been having blood pressure problems lately.

+4
Paradox
sailingmuffin
Ruth
Cindy*W
8 posters

Go down

Been having blood pressure problems lately. Empty Been having blood pressure problems lately.

Post  Cindy*W Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:43 pm

Been having alot of problems with my bp being high.

I have always had the problem with my bp being high when I am in pain with M.

My doctor has never prescribed bp meds though because when not in pain, my bp is normal.

Two weeks ago, I had to go to the er with an 8 and couldn't wait because the following day was my MD's day off.

My bp was 176/106.

The Er doctor just about had a fit and gave me a demerol/benedryl injection which brought the pain and the bp down quite a bit.

He told me to go in and see my MD as soon as possible and have him look at my ER visit.

I got in a couple of days later and was in pain again and my bp on that day was 166/106.

Still way too high!

Also my eyes and my face were swollen.

My MD gave me another injection and a sample of Exforge HCT, he says it has 3 different bp meds in one and then asked me to take one right away and then one in the morning and then come into the nurses station for a bp check.

When I went into the nurses station the next day, my bp was 132/82.

Later that day the nurse called and told me that the doctor wants me to stay on the bp meds and to see him in a week.

Has this been a problem for anyone else?

I'm kind of scared by it all.

Cindy
Cindy*W
Cindy*W

Back to top Go down

Been having blood pressure problems lately. Empty Re: Been having blood pressure problems lately.

Post  Ruth Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:13 pm

Cindy, you're not by any chance on Thyroid medication are you? The reason I ask is that a good friend of mine was told by her doctor recently to go straight to ER as her blood pressure was close to 200 over something, when she got there, it was so high that the BP cuff flew off her arm! After many tests, it turns out her thyroid medication is a much too high dose and since lowering it her BP has come right down. It's just a thought. I hope they figure out what's going on soon.

Ruth

Back to top Go down

Been having blood pressure problems lately. Empty Re: Been having blood pressure problems lately.

Post  Cindy*W Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:57 pm

Ruth,

Thanks for your suggestion.

The only meds I am on right now are Oxycodone, Nortriptyline, hydroxyzine (nausea), and Zofran.

Wish I knew a way to get it down without taking more meds.

My MD is telling me not to let the pain go on too long because of the bp problem.

Anyway, thanks for the post!

Cindy
Cindy*W
Cindy*W

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:14 pm

Hi,

I know that pain can raise your blood pressure. I believe some narcotics raise bp a little bit too. In my case, morphine raises my bp- but that is ok, as I have problems with low bp. I think your doctor is right about the pain part. I wish I had more answers about the other stuff. However, I wish I could talke some of the high bp and give you some of the low- maybe then we would be about normal? Just kidding of course, but with all the fainting stuff, I can't help but think about it.

I wish I knew something else to tell you. However, you are in my thoughts. I hope it improves soon.

Pain free days,.
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:27 pm

I've been struggling with that too. My bp is usually rather low 110/68 (one of the reasons I have problems with Inderal). Last time I was in it was 170/86. The nurse practioner isn't that concerned about it right now. She feels it's from chronic pain.

She wants me to come in on a bright sunshiney day when there's no ice on the ground (I'm afraid of falling and hurting my back more) and AFTER I've had my pain med's to get it re-checked. I'll do it as soon as we have a bright sunshiney day with no ice! We just keep getting more and more snow.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Been having blood pressure problems lately. Empty blood pressure problems

Post  rileyoday Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:26 am

I was having elevated muscle enzymes. BP was 160/ 100 when normal for me was 139/80. about 3 weeks felt real bad.

Dr. scripts clonodine .1mg 3 x day. BP drops to normal and have only had 2 M and 5 headaches, 110 days.
Those came when I first started. about 4 times a week in the evening my head starts hurting I take another
dose the pain stops. I was not expecting to feel this good ever again, truly my miracle.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:21 am

Charlotte,
I have had low BP for years 110/60. I seem to have inherited from my mum (My dad had terrible hypertension).
I have always felt the cold a lot and had to get up slowly in the mornings.
When they had me on beta blockers, when winter came I had to come off because my fingers were freezing and going white with the cold. One nasty episode when the gave me Atenolol instead, the dr had to come out. My BP fell through the floor, scary...
Anyway I dont know if its coincidence or not, but since my migraines have become more chronic...
My BP is now much higher...more like 140/80. At my age, this is ok, but as I have had thyroid fluctuations I do wonder whether this is cause or effect (BP or thyroid).

I would always look at drugs if things get nasty. I do hope you are feeling better.

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:17 am

Cindy

I would look at the nortrip...I'm currently almost off of it after being on it for 4 months. My resting hr was 100 at my last appointment and I noticed my bp was up too (not exceptionally high but I'm normally 80-100/50-60) but not in the normal danger zone for most folks (130ish/80ish). This drug has a tendency to do this....

I hope you get it sorted out.

Becky
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Cindy*W Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:47 pm

Thanks to everyone for your wonderful posts.

Becky: I will certainly ask my MD about the Nortriptyline. I have been taking it only when I have trouble sleeping but that is pretty often so it is possible. And I only started taking it about 3 months ago.

Pen: The doctor actually asked me about family history of hypertension. My Dad who is 72 has just a slight problem with it but not enough to take meds for it and no one else that I know of had any problems.

rileyoday: Will ask the doc about the clonodine. I don't believe I have ever taken that for anything. Anything's worth a try. Maybe that would be a better option than the bp meds. I know my Dad is just scared to death of having to take bp meds.

Charlotte: I will be keeping you in my prayers and hopefully when you return to the doctor, your bp will be within normal range.

Sailing: Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could give me some of you low bp and you take some of my high so we could be just normal! For years my bp was low so this something new to me. Always had bp rise with pain but not to this degree and certainly didn't stay there when the pain was gone.

Thanks to everyone for your wonderful ideas.

I will keep you informed on what the doctor decides to do with me.

Sometimes, I think he would just like to forget I exist.

I know I am a real challenge for him.

Take care everyone and Thanks.

Cindy
Cindy*W
Cindy*W

Back to top Go down

Post  Ruth Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:31 pm

Cindy, I expect you already know this but thought I'd mention that you could try lowering your sodium intake (if you haven't already) and try going for walks, or any exercise, that's supposed to help lower your blood pressure, although I know it's hard when you have migraines.

Take care, and let us know what the doctor decides.

Ruth

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:02 pm

Cindy,

There are a couple classes of BP meds that can be helpful, and with the numbers you posted they most certainly drive a migrainous headache with some very stong vascular components.

Clonodine can be helpful, but the the two classes are ACE inhibitors are ARBs.

Particularly in the ARB family Cozaar and Atacand are helpful with reducing brainaches caused by high blood pressure. Diovan may be helpful too.

Out of all the ARBs I've been on, Cozaar seemed to help the most, but it isn't the strongest. Atacand is more powerful.

One of the best meds for bp is florisimide. hydrochlorothiozide isn't as effective.

good luck,
mgb

Back to top Go down

Post  Cindy*W Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:53 pm

Ruth: I am limiting my salt intake. Trying to get used to how things taste without it.

As soon as the weather lets up, I will start walking again.

Hopefully this will help.

Mgb: Thanks for explaining the different bp meds. The doctor gave me a 3 week sample of "Exforge HCT. It is three prescriptiong in one. One is amlodipine (a calcium channel blocker, Two is valsartan (an angiotensin receptor blocker) and three hydrochlorothiazide (a diuretic, or water pill.

My only fear is that this med will be expensive when I have to buy it.

Thanks for all the help and I will let you know what the doctor says when I go next week.

Cindy
Cindy*W
Cindy*W

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:02 pm

Cindy,

Thanks for the info.

Just an FYI.

Amlopidine (brand name Norvasc) is a decent calcium channel blocker and does work for hypertension, however, it does have a pronounced side effect of headache. I think it is listed as the first and most pronounced side effect. I was on it for a brief period. Diltiazem (brand name Cardizem) is an effective calcium channel blocker and has less chance of giving a headache.

Diovan is a potent ARB. BTW, I have been on all the meds that you've listed, and I'm on Cardizem CD, Atenolol, & Atacand...so my overall therapy (aimed firstly cardiac) is beta, calcium, and arb. This combo seems to limit my migraines, and I only take a breakthrough pain reliever, as needed.

Looks like you are on a hefty combination for your hypertension. Have they done any studies to check out why your BP is so high?

There are generics available that work decently. I do not like generics, but for the common heart meds, they are decent (depending where made though).

Good luck,
mgb

Back to top Go down

Post  Mule Kick Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:44 am

Another calcium channel blocker is Verapamil.

A few years ago I had a two month trial of it as a migraine preventitive, rather than for BP. Before I started it my BP was at the low end of normal. After quiting it my BP went up higher than it was before I started. As another after effect, it does seem to have reduced the intensity of the migraines Very Happy , but increased their frequency Crying or Very sad .

My father was on Propranolol, one of the first beta-blockers.
Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

Post  Cindy*W Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:11 pm

Thanks mgb and Mulekick for your posts.

If this combo med works for me but is too expensive, I thought maybe I could just buy generics of the three drugs if that ends up being cheaper.

I hadn't thought of trying a different combo if this one doesn't work, but that is a great idea mgb.

You are correct that headache is one of the main s/e's as is back pain.

Actually I am laying on a heating pad right now due to back pain so I will have to bring that up to my doc when I go in next week.

Thanks for all your posts! I am so glad I have this site. Don't know what I would do without it.

Cindy
Cindy*W
Cindy*W

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down