migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everything is not as good as it looks on Facebook

+10
crt
HeelerLady
Mianna
lesherb
Brenda
milo
Paradox
tecky
alli
survivor
14 posters

Go down

Everything is not as good as it looks on Facebook Empty Everything is not as good as it looks on Facebook

Post  survivor Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:33 am

Initially when I joined Facebook I tried to be honest for my migraine friends about what was going on in my life. I remember someone at Ronda's posting about how depressing it had been to find what everyone else was doing and they couldn't.

I sort of stopped that because it felt like whining and I got more friends and family as friends that Ireally didn't want to share that info with.

My "new" plan was to try to be positive.

Life is NOT what it appears on FAceBook.

Yes, I put up apple pie filling, apples sauce and apple butter this week. What I didn't post about was laying on my kitchen floor after I blacked out and crawling to bed one morning.

I didn't post that I went to go get some more apples 15 minutes away - all rural driving - and got lost going there. This is someplace I have been a thousand times.

What I didn't post is that I went to the pharmacy and the grocery yesterday but when I came home I only carried in the perishables and left the rest until my husband came home.

What I didn't post is that I have been trying to paint my upstairs bathroom for 4 weeks and I still don't have it done.

I know I "do" a lot of things but I have to pay a high price for a lot of them and it is only because I am so damn stubborn and have a husband to help me that I manage most of them.

Okay, I am now done whining. You can go back to your regularly scheduled programing and I will go back to pouting about having to go to work tonight when all I want to do is stay in bed for a week!

survivor

Back to top Go down

Everything is not as good as it looks on Facebook Empty Re: Everything is not as good as it looks on Facebook

Post  alli Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:13 am

I hear ya. I rarely post anything on Facebook because it would just be about how much I hurt and the very rare day when everything works.

I don't want everyone to know how crappy my life can be sometimes.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Everything is not as good as it looks on Facebook Empty Re: Everything is not as good as it looks on Facebook

Post  tecky Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:36 am

I hear ya, too, Survivor. I'm sorry.

I used to try to do many of those things but ended up so sick for so many days that it just wasn't worth it for me or my family. Sad
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:02 am

Oh sweetie, on my FB you'd think my life was all sunshine and butterflies.

So, are any of us on FB REALLY living the great life? FB for me is to share my happy time, sort of the Christmas Card Letter of my day.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:39 am

So why don't we start a post called "My real Facebook status" update. Smile

Then we can put our happy faces on fb and our real faces on here.

My real facebook status says "is growing yet another tumour on my last remaining ovary...I'm taking suggestions for naming this one Smile "

milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:35 pm

Aww Survivor, I'm so sorry. I am especially sorry if you took my comment on your facebook as any kind of insult. I'm sorry you've been having such a hard time lately. I know what you mean about posting on FB. I feel sometimes like all I do is whine and complain. Again, I'm truly sorry if anything I said made you feel bad in any way. Migraines suck. Period.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:45 pm

I am sorry, too (like Brenda). I just post impulsive things on FB and my replies to others are just as impulsive. I sure hope I didn't offend you.

I don't do a darn thing. You are remarkable in my book!

£eslie
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Mianna Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:24 pm

I totally 'get' you. People think I do so much too.......and I do....often because I just have to.

But when I am doing those things I may be in the bathroom on the toilet because the untreated pain is putting there. Not everyone will know it. (except my husband, he knows all. someone has to!)

I had this experience today. I have been fighting a h/a for days upon days. My Dr. has been on vacation, nobody else with Rx for me....so I waited. Then the meds are available, yet I cannot use them as my husband is out of state on business, my familiy whom we live with cannot take care of the needs of my 10yr old son for their own reasons. I have a close family wedding to attend Saturday.

So I have the meds, yet I must wait to stop hurling and having diarrhea and pain until after the wedding.

During this misery, I am busy being a mom to what I will call a High Maintenance son. I also help care for my mother and grandmother.

As I walk out the door this morning at 7:40am to take son to school........I am asked to bathe my grandmother when I get home from my school rounds. I do this for my grandmother because she needs the help and my mom has said it's too hard for her to help her anymore.

I thought I'd choke when asked. Technically, my mom could so do it, especially knowing the battle I am fighting right now. I walked out saying I would do it.

During my drive home I decided I had to say something. I did. I reminded her who I was. That I was the child she raised who has has M's since 7yrs old and nothing has changed. I reminded her how my food has not stayed down for days. I also happen to know my husband informed my mom how ill I was before he left for his overnight busi. trip. I let her know that I would never want my grandma to feel a burden......but this was not the right time for my mom to have asked me.

She apologized. She had been selfish.

So I told her how to do it, walked her through the 'improved' way in which I shower my grandma safely.

Bottom line..........those who often are privy to our pain up close and personal........forget.....we can sometimes get so good at coping and getting things done that they forget how much we do suffer. I think that was the case here.

Hope all that made sense.
Mianna
Mianna

Back to top Go down

Post  Mianna Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:25 pm

P.S......I have said from the beginning here........no feelings are intended to be hurt.....but my FB is different from my life here....more for my family and personal friends.
Mianna
Mianna

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:42 pm

I so get it. I don't usually post how bad things are other than if I have an M or not. I work from home and people I work with are "friended" so they know where to reach me.

I realized that it's not going to get me anywhere telling the world how bad it is. Plus I don't want to be a Doris Downer. This is my life and there's nothing I can really do (other than having a head transplant) so why complain.

My current status would say: Dogs finally not driving me nuts. But I'm drugged and can barely see and I have one more day of this crap to get through before it will possibly end. If I don't get a break after this episode I might just lose it....

HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  survivor Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:34 pm

I apologize for whining. No one's comments offended me. I was just venting because I felt like I accomplished NOTHING this week. The bushel of apples I did took me ALL day. I did nothing the next day because I was so done in.

I have so much I want to do but I just can't and I feel lazy for not trying harder.

Sorry, I am still whining about me, me, me!

I doubt my facebook friends would want to know about me spending 20 minutes in a McDonald's bathroom today on a 2 hour trip w/ my husband. Shocked To them I would say, "Mike got a new to him motorcycle."

My migraine status would be, "I made the mistake of going w/ Mike to get his new motorcycle. I was late for work because we had to stop for my bathroom time due to the current migraine. Glad work is slow tonight because I am too stupid to function. If you see my right eyeball rolling around would you catch it so I can put it back in because I am SURE it is going to pop out any minute"

Okay, I am done whining for a few minutes. Crying or Very sad

survivor

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:01 pm

On my FB right now it says something like "you should hear what I say in my head and don't say out loud"

My migraine FB would say "Isnt is sad that it's a Friday night and I'm home alone with my computer feeling sorry for myself and wondering what happened to the fun person I used to be. I don't want to be the person who is losing her closest friend because they can't fill the needinest and insecurity inside me".

There's my pity party...
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  crt Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:04 pm

Somehow I don't think Migraine folks are the only ones who put on a false front FB! Reminds me of the dreaded Christmas Letter that so many people send. Once I tried writing and sending a true Christmas Letter. I was severely chastised for being such a downer. I didn't try that again. In fact, that cured me of sending Christmas Letters period.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:59 pm

status update** My butt is so sore from months of diarrhea, my head is out of control, I'm petrified of my next surgery and as usual, I'm at home of a Friday night when I should be at a hockey game. Sad PS I hate my dogs right now because their sqeaky toy flea keeps SQEAKING and their toenails keep clicking on the hardwood and it's killing my head. PSS My wife's breathing is annoying me as well!!!!

I like this...should we make an actual official post?
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  survivor Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:20 pm

I so understand about the breathing. Sometimes it could make me cry. See your other post about a home remedy for the other.

survivor

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:51 am

Can we have more than one FB identity? Maybe we could all sign up with a 2nd identity.....then all "friend" each other here and only post to each other?

Does that make sense?
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:29 pm

Oh Mianna can I relate to you.

Had weekend with family. Just posted very long email to mother to try to resolve all family problems that came up over weekend.

Feel like Judge Judy only I'm not tough. Want to curl up in ball and sleep. Would not dare post anything on facebook of personal nature.

marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:55 am

Leslie yes you can, but I think you need a different email to open it with.

I post how I feel if I feel like it. I dont care if people have to realise how hard my life is.
Some of them could do with educating....

I dont update my status that often.
If something good happens I do, and if things are frustratingly bad I do.
I figure that's balance.

My kids have friends who post when they get up, got to the loo, and go to bed......
Who needs that.

I say its up to you as an individual.
They are your friends and family.
I imagine.....

Your audience. Give them what you want.
We have so little control over our lives with this awful illness.
That at least we can control.

Oh and you can have a closed group on there if that would help us be honest with each other.....
Then no one but the invited can see it....I understand...

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:43 pm

Hugs to all I love you I'm sorry yoou guys are having a hard time.

I don't have a FB page. People ask me why, and I tell them it's because FB gave me a virus a few months ago (I think it might have but I can't be sure it was FB). In actuality, its because I can't face how much brainpower it will take to get a FB page set up.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:27 pm

This has been hilarious to read. To know that others are going through what I am and have the same sarcastic sense of humor and the way everyone has to laugh at it to get by makes me feel I'm not so alone.

I don't have the mind or time to figure facebook out. My daughter set it up so I could see pics of my grandkids. But if I were honest, here is what I would post as my latest accomplishment.

I moved my refridgerator and cleaned the floor underneath it. Do you know how awful it is under a fridge? I didn't do this because I'm Suzie Homemaker. I did it because I knocked over my bottle of pain pills and some went behind the fridge. It took the doc 2 days to call it in. My daughter was picking the bottle up and coming over. She arrived but forgot the pills so I went to get them. The doc sent in the wrong prescription, Fiorinal instead of Fiorinal with codeine. I might as well take a baby aspirin. So, yes, I got her to help me pull out the fridge and get the pills out of the dust and gross stuff underneath. She couldn't believe I brushed them off and used them. Even though she gets migraines, she's not this desperate yet. I just stood there and thought about how really pathetic my life is at this point. But after soap and paper towels, at least it's clean under my fridge in case anyone wants to look.

Cathy

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 pm

Cathy, LMFAO
Been there, done that. I dilute my stadol with water because its too strong full strength (and "tastes" nasty othewise). Once when I was on vacation, and migraining really badly, I tried to dilute the bottle over the sink. My usual routine is to pour half the bottle into an empty bottle, then add water to both half full bottles so I then have 2 full bottles. The empty bottle had some condensation in it, so I flicked it over the sink (the drain was plugged) to empty it out. At least I thought it was the empty bottle - I actually dumped the full bottle of medication out into the sink basin.
I was so mad at myself! Then I tried everything I could think of to rescue that liquid from the sink basin. (think, how do you scoop out the equivalent of 1 tablespoon of liquid from the basin of a sink and get it back int a bottle?) Very Happy No such luck, of course.
I had to call the dr. office and explain to them what an idiot I'd been, and beg them to send an emergency refill to a nearby pharmacy (I was also out of state, so it wasns't easy).
But I totally get why you'd go to such lengths to rescue your meds. Laughing
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:28 am

I knocked one of my favorite knives behind the stove..... I still haven't gotten the nerve to go get it. Sooooo gross back there.

I have to move the fridge to get the stove out so it is really just one of those jobs where you put on old clothes, get the scrub brush out and clean the whole darn area. Ick, Ick, ick!

If I dropped my meds back there, it would have been done in seconds!! Those things are precious, precious objects.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:53 am

Yes, I dug a vicoden out from under my car seat once. It was a little fuzzy but I was happy to have it. No five second rule when it comes to our meds! What a Face
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:09 am

My unfacebook status update * My tumour is wreaking havoc in my body and I feel and look like I'm five months preggers. I know this because my patients keep asking when I'm due! *

Cathy....LOVED, LOVED, LOVED your status update! Glad your fridge is now clean...at least underneath it.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down