migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Topamax? Does it stop working after a while?

4 posters

Go down

Topamax? Does it stop working after a while? Empty Topamax? Does it stop working after a while?

Post  ShelliB Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:17 pm

I've been on Topamax for several years. Currently am taking a dose of 200mg daily. No improvement since my last dosage increase.

Does Topamax stop working after you've been on it a while? Does the body become used to it? Would it make sense to stop it and switch to another preventative? Or cut back on it and add in another med at the same time? I'm thinking Neurontin maybe?

Anyone with ideas please advise....getting desperate here!! I would like some thoughts to share with my neuro before my next visit. Thanks!

ShelliB
ShelliB

Back to top Go down

Topamax? Does it stop working after a while? Empty I don't know either

Post  lentils Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:09 pm

This is why I want to keep my dose low and possibly go off it for short periods. Maybe that will help maybe not, but other medicines I have tried have stopped working so I suspect this one will eventually.
I hope someone with some experience gives us some input.

lentils

Back to top Go down

Topamax? Does it stop working after a while? Empty Re: Topamax? Does it stop working after a while?

Post  Guest Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:20 pm

Yes, Topamax usually hits a max therapeutic dose of 200mg for migraines, then it may lose it's oomph. some docs will add an adjunct to it or increase it's dosage, but usually there's no real benefit.

I was on it several years ago, and it really seem to stop working after a couple months at 200mg. We stopped it because it made me as smart as a box of rocks.

Hmm, I don't know if I ever got my pre-Topamax brain power back either.

Back to top Go down

Topamax? Does it stop working after a while? Empty Re: Topamax? Does it stop working after a while?

Post  AuntieBubbs Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:11 pm

I've been wondering this too, as I've been on Topomax for a few years. I may ask the dr next time I see him. Will post what he says!
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Tngirl83 Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:51 pm

I was on it a couple years ago and it worked for a while and then stopped working. I had to switch preventatives but never found another one that helped. I am back on it again and have been on it since April.

My neuro said that it is possible that after a while that the body does become immune to certain drugs. He said he had been on topamax for a while for migraines but stopped taking it when it stopped working.
Tngirl83
Tngirl83

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down