migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How fast does your pain hit?

+5
HeelerLady
Johnfd
dawn.binks
crt
pen
9 posters

Go down

How fast does your pain hit? Empty How fast does your pain hit?

Post  pen Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:49 pm

Part of my problem is it hits like a button being pushed.
Goes from my normal hang around 3/4 to 8/9 in about 30 seconds.

Is this typical please? I get no warning.
No nausea, nothing.
Just something pushes a button and wham...pain.

How is it for you all?

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

How fast does your pain hit? Empty Re: How fast does your pain hit?

Post  crt Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:06 pm

Pen,

It builds up slowly, which I suppose is good. It gives me a chance to act before it gets roaring. I think it would be much more difficult to deal with the pain you describe. You're relatively OK and then Wham! You have my sympathy.

I've been following your travel thread. I feel awful for you. At the same time I'm grateful that I don't have the same situation. I am flying from California to Denver, Colorado next week for work. I'm a little concerned about getting a migraine on the flight but I am actually more concerned about packing acceptably.

It has been a long time, way before 9/11, since I flew in anything but a small plane. All the the (necessary) security stuff one has to go through these days has me a bit stressed. Like I've said before, it's not the actual flying or airplane that bothers me. That part I love. It's all the rigamarole. But I'll have plenty of Maxalt in my carry-on so I'll be fine.

The other thing that bothers me somewhat is that I'll be in a town I've never been in before and I'll be by myself. I was hoping my Sweetie could go with me, but I don't have the money to pay for his ticket. Work is paying for me.

Oh well. I grew up in a rather tough part of Los Angeles. I always took the bus and I was often alone, even late at night. I had migraines then too.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:25 pm

mostly builds over a matter of minutes.

sometimes it's an instant bash over the head feeling, icepick/railroad spike.

Back to top Go down

How fast does your pain hit? Empty pain

Post  dawn.binks Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:51 am

when the pain starts it usually is a few minutes but can go from no pain to a 9/10 straight off. are you usually enduring 3/4 pain constantly?
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:11 am

Yes Dawn, I have constant pain. It is worse when I wake in the morning and can increase to say 8, as it did yesterday for no apparent reason, and it can back off by itself.....as it did yesterday. No medication used.
It's hard to know whether to take something or what.
When my stomach is bad (IBS) as it is this morning, I am trying to not take anything.....last 2 hours so far...

They tell me this constant pain is from the Fibro: Myofascial pain. The dental department concurred with this.
I went regarding the phantom toothache.

I am totally sick of constant pain of one sort or another in my head and or neck.
There seems to be no remedy and medication seldom works.
Even Triptans don't touch the neck (well they wouldnt would they).

When I wake to another day the same it is depressing, but I have learned not to judge the day on how crap I feel every morning.
Some days it gets better, others worse...

It is my cross to bear, and I do not bear it well some of the time.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnfd Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:49 am

Hi Pen,

Sorry to hear you're still having such a rotten time. Like you I have constant pain with bad spells. I can go from a background level of migraine to a completely disabling attack in about 5 minutes. If I don't get a triptan down in this time I'm done for and, if I'm out, can get stranded. This is the only time its worth taking a triptan. Luckily for me this only happens once or twice a month. Its the ones that come on in the night which are my main problem. Nothing has been able to stop those, shorten the time they last or reduce their severity.

I also have constant face pain but this has always been written off as part of the constant migraine.

Living in constant pain ruins our lives. Accepting that there is little likelihood of a change is soul destroying. I've been so ill for the last week through a combination of physical pain and depression that I've been unable to function at all.
Johnfd
Johnfd

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:11 am

Pen,

I'm in the same boat. All of s sudden, wham! Sick as a dog and wanting to run for cover. Today it's like someone hit me in the face with a club. Woke up with this though but it can also build but by the time I'm miserable, almost too late to do anything about it.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:57 am

Sometimes it's fast and sometimes it's slow. I haven't ever figured out a pattern except for chemical triggers. Those migraines come on with very little warning.

Have you tried any anti-inflammatories for the Fibro pain? I take 2 Aleve every morning and afternoon. It doesn't get rid of all of the pain, but it does mitigate it.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:41 am

As I cant find any triggers, I have no idea what is going on Alli. Of course "something" causes it, but I have no idea.

I have tried NSAIDs but they upset my stomach and didnt help the pain.
I was put on them at night for a month to try to break the night time cycle.
I have to admit after a week I quit because I still woke up in pain and also had belly problems

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

How fast does your pain hit? Empty couple of minutes

Post  charmed quark Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:06 pm

it ramps up from zero to full tilt in a minute or two. But I usually have plenty of warning with prodome and aura. Unfortunately, a lot of time I ignore these unless they are severe and then get caught by surprise.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:18 pm

More of you than I realised. I dont get any warning, prodome auro whatever....just sudden pain.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  ajr Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:45 pm

I'm glad to see these posts, because when my son gets his migraines, they come on instantly...with no warning, but full tilt, level 8 or 9 - no buildling up. This has been going on for 7 years. When we told our neuro this (someone who is an expert in the headache field) he said he's never heard of such a thing with migraine, it's very odd, doesn't know what this could mean, etc. etc. It's so frustrating because I KNOW other people have it happen this way. What do you even say to that when a doctor says that?!?! So frustrating. That dr. said he can't see patients under 18 now, so we are back to having nobody and to tell you the truth I don't know if it even matters since nothing we do really seems to help.
ajr
ajr

Back to top Go down

Post  sherri b Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:58 pm

Mine are both, sometimes no warning at all, other times just a nagging feeing hangs on for hours, then it eventually needs treated.

I have to say the ones that hit out of left field with no warning are the worst to get under control.

Wishing the best for you Pen,,,
sherri b
sherri b

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down