migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Books we are reading...any good ones?

+5
cupatea
estre004
AuntieBubbs
Paradox
kimsmom
9 posters

Go down

Books we are reading...any good ones? Empty Books we are reading...any good ones?

Post  kimsmom Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been without a computer for two months! It has been horrible. I have been reading and wondered if anyone has read a good book that they would like to share.

I read "Girl with a Pearl Earring", by Tracy Chevalier. I think someone on this site recommended it to me. It was good.

I am trying to read "Cold Mountain", by Charles Frazier. I just cannot get into it. I am on page 90 and the book is just not grabing my attention. Has anyone else read this? Should I keep going and it will get better? I have heard it is a good book but this one is really slow for me.

I am always reading so any good book recommondations would be great.

Thanks everyone!

Kimsmom
kimsmom
kimsmom

Back to top Go down

Books we are reading...any good ones? Empty Re: Books we are reading...any good ones?

Post  Paradox Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:29 pm

I read "Cold Mountain" for a book club. I had to force myself to finish it. No, it does not get better. It's a love it or hate it book.

I've been struggling with pain haven't been able to read much but today I watched a warm, fascinating documentary called the "The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill". The ending definitely was moving.

A non fiction book that is a all time favorite is " The Childrens Blizzard".

Oh, oh, I am reading a good one " Packing for Mars : the curious science of life in the void" by Mary Roach.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Books we are reading...any good ones? Empty Re: Books we are reading...any good ones?

Post  AuntieBubbs Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:21 pm

Its so funny you should mention Cold Mountain. I've had it checked out of the library for the past 3 1/2 weeks and haven't been able to get the motivation to start it beyond page 3. I renewed the checkout though, because I keep thinking that I will read it. Very Happy

I just read both of the Bridget Jones books for fun, they were easy summer reads, and funny. I am reading My Cousin Rachel by Daphne DuMaurier. She's always been one of my favorites, and one of my guilty pleasures. Can't help loving her gothic, lush style. I made it a goal of mine a long time ago to read everything of hers I could that sounded halfway decent - she has a few that sound bad, I'll admit, but most of her stuff is good if you like her style. I feel like Catherine Morland indulging in "novels" and admitting it guiltily as she stays up all night to read the Mysteries of Adolpho. LOL Jane Austen would have laughed at me rereading Rebecca so many times, I'm sure. But as many times as I've reread all of Austen's books, she would've wholeheartedly approved! Laughing
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:22 am

A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines. It was a University of Minnesota Book Club pick. I read it in one night. Very emotional (for me anyway). I thought it was excellent.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  cupatea Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:42 pm

I just read 'Damaged' by Cathy Glass in a day.
The true story about a foster mother who took care of a severely abused little girl.
Very eye-opening...
cupatea
cupatea

Back to top Go down

Post  Mule Kick Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:42 pm

I am currently in the middle of reading Principles of Geology by James Gilluly, Aaron C. Waters, and A. O. Woodford, Fourth Edition revised by James Gilluly.

It is a geology textbook, but since I am not taking a class, I can read it at my own pace. Anything from just a few paragraphs to several chapters in one sitting. Nor do I have any tests to take.

I got curious about my local geology, but in order to understand relevant articles on the internet I need to know the specialized vocabulary; hence reading geology textbooks.
Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

Post  kimsmom Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:59 pm

Thanks for the ideas on books. I will try to find some of them. I am looking for a few good books.

Funny about Cold Mountain. I thought it was just me. If you cannot get past page 3, do not bother to keep going. I put it down on page 90 and it never got any better and I did not finish it as the other poster did. You just keep thinking it will get better. I am surprised it was on the best seller list.

kimsmom

kimsmom
kimsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Mianna Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:49 pm

I'm going through The One Year Devotions for Boy's book with my son each night at bedtime!
Mianna
Mianna

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:26 pm

Hi All,

I've reada few good books lately.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg larson is terrific. It took me a while to get some of the faily straight, but a great read.

The Curse of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz- an interesting and hilarious story about a PI in San Francisco. Actually, the first in a series. It is brainless, but great.

The Paris Vendetta by Steve Barry- thriller.

Lucky Jim

Currently reading The third Secret by Steve Barry and working my way through the girl who played with fire.

BTW, I couldn't get into Cold Mountain at all.

So right now, I am on the brainless, or rather not very cerebral thriller/mystery kick. In case you couldn't tell, I am an escapist reader.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:27 pm

Hi All,

I've reada few good books lately.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg larson is terrific. It took me a while to get some of the faily straight, but a great read.

The Curse of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz- an interesting and hilarious story about a PI in San Francisco. Actually, the first in a series. It is brainless, but great.

The Paris Vendetta by Steve Barry- thriller.

Lucky Jim

Currently reading The third Secret by Steve Barry and working my way through the girl who played with fire.

BTW, I couldn't get into Cold Mountain at all.

So right now, I am on the brainless, or rather not very cerebral thriller/mystery kick. In case you couldn't tell, I am an escapist reader.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:57 pm

Well, now I know not to pick up Cold Mountain! Lately, I've been rather depressed, so I have just been revisiting my favorite authors, particularly Rex Stout, who wrote the Nero Wolfe books. I love mystery, but especially the Nero Wolfe books because they are so full of humor in the writing style as well. And many times, it'll be the 20th reading before I catch a little detail that is just thrown in there, so even though I have many of the books practically memorized (the ones that are available for my iPod, which is my preferred method of listening), I still find something fresh each time.

One of my more recent finds: If I were in a true surrounded by man-eating tigers and a group of beavers were gnawing down the tree, Saul Panzer is the man I'd want to see coming for me. I love the freshness of adding two very different elements to the same mix!

Plus, the plots themselves are usually really good. Many times I've gotten to the end of a book, only to say, "Why didn't I recognize that! Of course that was the only possible solution!" Most authors don't give you all the facts that would allow you to solve it yourself like that, and they especially aren't good at hiding these facts when they do give them to you!
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  kimsmom Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:41 pm

Funny about Cold Mountain. I guess I will just shelf it or sell it in a garage sale.

Thank you for all the great ideas on the books we are reading. I wrote all of them down and when I go to Costco or a bookstore I will look for them and buy some. I just love to read! I feel empty if I do not have a book that I am reading.

Happy reading my friends and thanks a bunch for the ideas on what to read.

kimsmom
kimsmom
kimsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down