migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you reading?

+12
lesherb
McCabeRoad
theresae
CluelessKitty
ajr
hpilgrim
Enigma
lentils
Ruth
Mini
pen
sailingmuffin
16 posters

Go down

What are you reading? Empty What are you reading?

Post  sailingmuffin Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:07 am

Hi All,

I have a pretty bad migraine now. One of the ways I can distract myself is by reading. What are y'all reading now? I would love any suggestions of some light reading. Thanks.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

What are you reading? Empty Re: What are you reading?

Post  pen Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:10 am

I cannot read at all if I have migraine. It hurts too much to even look at a page.
I miss reading.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:30 am

"Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole. It makes me smile page by page.
A most wonderful and quite forgotten American classic, a joy to read, and re-read.
New Orleans at it's most charming and excentric.
I know it all sounds too much, but I love this book. Hope you might too.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  Ruth Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:48 am

It always amazes me how anyone can read with a migraine, I have trouble even having my eyes open. Funny how we're all so much alike in this disease and yet all so different. I've also heard music helps some people, I can't stand ANY noise at all when migraining.

I have just finished reading Choosing to See by Mary Beth Chapman, her son accidentally ran over and killed their little adopted girl from China in their driveway, a terrible accident and so terribly sad what that family went through (Mary Beth's husband Steven Curtis Chapman is a well known Christian singer).

I'm not a fan of fiction for some reason, I like books based on fact.

Hope your pain eases up SM Smile I'm glad that you are able to read while migraining, it must help to pass the time.

Ruth

Back to top Go down

What are you reading? Empty books

Post  lentils Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:06 am

I just finished reading "Space between the Stars" by Deborah Santana. Pretty good bio, although a bit sugar coated, about her life when she was growing up and while she was married to Carlos. It is light reading and guaranteed not to add to your headache.

lentils

Back to top Go down

Post  Enigma Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:59 pm

Library books are free!!!

I love art so I get the big picture books of the great artist and look at the pictures. If I feel I can read then I do. I walk around and pick up anything that interests me. For a while I was into the Doonsbury cartoons. That is pretty light and humerous.

For deeper reading I'm really into Phillipa Gregory's books about Royalty and the Henry the 8th era. The last one I read was, The Other Bolyn Girl and it was really good.
Enigma
Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post  hpilgrim Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:45 am

I recently finished Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. It's about the life of Thomas Cromwell; the rise and reign of Henry the 8th seen from Cromwell's perspective. Since everything I've read before painted him as evil, this was an interesting change, and probably closer to the truth. It is fiction, though, so there's no way to tell for sure. I don't know if I would call it "light" but it's beautifully written, and different....
Holly
hpilgrim
hpilgrim

Back to top Go down

What are you reading? Empty Wolf Hall

Post  lentils Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:49 am

I just started reading this book. Looks good, but the copy I'm reading has 650 pages!

lentils

Back to top Go down

Post  ajr Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:10 pm

Even Silence Has an End by Ingrid Betancourt.....held hostage almost 7 years...very interesting.
ajr
ajr

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:30 pm

A most wonderful and quite forgotten American classic,

Forgotten maybe in UK, Mini, because certainly not in USA and Canada.

I learned about it a year or two ago from a TV book talk. So, no, it's not forgotten here Smile
And I wrote about reading this a number of times, which you've evidently forgot also:)

As for what I am reading now- another quite fascinating memoir written by a brilliant nurse from Toronto,
one Tilda Shalof
" A Nurse Story"

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

a very compelling book. I recommend it to everybody!

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:29 am

Hi All,

Thanks for all the recommendations.

I like to read, though when the headache is bad, I go for something lighter or something I have read before.

I've never read A Confederacy of Dunces- but will put that on the list.

I loved Wolf Hall. It is long, but totally worth it. I also enjoy the Phillipa Gregory books.

For some reason, when the migraine gets bad, i somehow end up reading some form of British Naval Fiction- mostly Patrick O'Brian and CS Forestor. Harry Potter is also good in the midst of a bad one.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  theresae Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:00 pm

Immortals after Dark series by Kresley Cole!
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Post  hpilgrim Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:38 pm

Dark Star Safari by Paul Theroux
hpilgrim
hpilgrim

Back to top Go down

Post  McCabeRoad Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:27 am

I can't read when I have a migraine so I listen to my MP3 player downloaded books or sermons or even the news...it helps to have something soft to listen to.
But when I do not have a migraine I read the Bible and all kinds of magazines. I like magazines. National Geographic, History and Archeology magazine.
McCabeRoad
McCabeRoad

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:24 am

I'm reading Game Change by John Heilmann and Mark Halperin. It's about the 2008 presidential election. It came out about a year ago but I waited until it was a bit cheaper before getting it for my Kindle. HBO is making it into a movie. Julianne Moore is supposed to play Sarah Palin and Ed Harris is to play John McCain. I don't know if they've cast the other roles quite yet.

Edited to add: Woody Harrelson is to portray Steve Schmidt, campaign advisor for McCain/Palin.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  stephgood Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:57 pm

I just read Anne Frank and Me. It was really a good and fast read. I read it in about 24 hours. I think it was adapted from a play. Anyways if you enjoy that kind of thing I suggest giving it a try.
stephgood
stephgood

Back to top Go down

What are you reading? Empty What are you reading?

Post  dizzyflower Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:32 am

A really good distraction if you havn't read it already is I Capture the Castle by Dodi Smith - much better than the film An English teacher friend hands copies out to people. I go back to it if having a bad time.

Currently reading through a stack I got for ten pence each at the jumble sale and one from poundland called "The Sun King's Garden" which is a very interesting book about the creation of the gardens at Vercai -i have spelt that wrong havn't I? Am reading it instead of stories at the moment.

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:00 am

The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo series. Very strange but very enjoyable. The movies are out now in Norwegian and I have seen the first one, also very good although the book has a lot more in it.

I believe they are remaking them in English as the book has been such a big seller.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  silverray2030 Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:43 am

We usually can not do any anything if we have a little headache so how i am suppose to read with migraine? Question Question Question

silverray2030

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down