migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Psychological Component to Migraines

+8
Ivy
tecky
marion
Anna's Mom
Hal
sooz
tinalouise
02R96
12 posters

Go down

Psychological Component to Migraines Empty Psychological Component to Migraines

Post  02R96 Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:45 am

Has anyone ever explored a psychological angle to their migraines? I'm about to go through deep counseling by a "real" psychologist to see if my crazy upbringing's baggage is the real root cause of my chronic daily headaches. Question

I'm considering making major changes to my life, and at the urging of my doctor who treats my OCD I'm going to start seeing this guy who she say's really knows how to figure out what makes people tick before I do anything I might regret. Shocked

I've been to counseling before but nothing like this is supposed to be. I really want this guy to dig deep and hopefully help be lose some anger I've been holding on to since childhood. Mad
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Psychological Component to Migraines Empty Re: Psychological Component to Migraines

Post  tinalouise Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:53 am

Well first off I wish you the best at getting the help that you deserve in order to make your life better so good luck with that.
I know that I have an anxiety/panic disorder and I would not be surprised if it might be a contributing factor to migraines sometimes but not always. I think it is a result of a few things coming together such as trigger foods, anxiety and definitely hereditary factors. MY mom had aura/migraines but she also had times of extreme depression/anxiety so it is very possible that the two go together.

tinalouise

Back to top Go down

Psychological Component to Migraines Empty Re: Psychological Component to Migraines

Post  Guest Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:04 pm

Nothing wrong with exploring this end and getting good, solid treatment.

Most neuros will try to diagnose migraine patients with some type of psychological issue if they aren't successful with a few courses of treatment--many that do not have an underlying psychological issue spend a lot of effort to prove that they do not have a psychological issue.

One component that can aggrevate migraine is OCD. It may a comorbidity, and importantly if someone can help, all the more reason to seek some good advice.

Back to top Go down

Post  sooz Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:56 pm

Ok...I will admit upfront that I have a bias here. I am a psychotherapist and work part of the time at a headache clinic. I am also a longtime headache and depression/anxiety sufferer and Ronda's member.

I don't believe that "headaches are in your 'head'" or fabricated in any way. I do believe that psychological and emotional stressors can contribute to frequency, severity, and length of a headache. I also think that learning to deal with the emotional part of having headaches or any chronic illness can be really, really helpful.

As for the childhood issues, for some people there is definite value in uncovering the root of patterns of behavior that are not helpful in your life or to your pain.

Good luck!
Susan

sooz

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:00 pm

Even if it proves not to have anything to do with your headaches, maybe you can get rid of the anger.

I have situations from my childhood that have caused me lasting pain, but have learned to deal with them (I think). If I could afford a real shrink, I would do what you are doing. The VA sent me to their Psych clinic and decided that I was fine, well adjusted and had no issues. The medical disabillity people sent me to a Psych clinic and they found that I had all kinds of issues. Maybe because I told her she was unprofessional. My own Psychiatrist's findings are inconclusive. We go fishing together and I know he is crazy. My family thinks I am crazy, no, knows I am crazy. The only one I get along with is my crazy sister.

Wish you the best of luck and lots of answers. Let us know how it works out.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:26 pm

Hal, LOL!

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:07 pm

Psychological component to migraines. It drives us psycho because there is nothing logical about it. Wink

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:02 pm

Dead right Hal.

The stress of worrying why I'm ill, Is it all in my head? plays havoc.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:00 am

I so appreciate the kind replies and comments.

I've taken a PDR's worth of drugs without success. If this type of analysis brings me some level of understanding about myself, it will be well worth the time and effort. I have a few key issues with myself I need to find out who, what, when, where and why!

I plan on keeping everyone up to date with my experience. Regardless of any effect on my migraines (good, bad or indifferent), I'll let everyone know how it's going.

What a Face
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:11 am

Just dreading the continuing pain is enough to cause depression and anxiety.

Hope you have good luck with the counseling, Dan. It's worth trying every avenue available. flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:04 am

In 1999 I was addressed to a psycologist by the H/A and mig center I was seeing.
They made a complete plan to prevent my out of control migraines and this included counselling/analysis - anything that could help the anxious part that contributed to worsen migraine.

Seeing a psycologist was the best thing that I did in my life.

In the beginning it really helped with migraines. They improved, but at that time I was following a 360 degree plan to prevent migraines, so analysis could play only a minor part.

For sure, analysis has improved my life and I could get rid of certain ghosts that were almost killing me.

Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:34 am

Done the psychology more times than I can remember and trained myself.
Have found it helpful in the past but never done a thing for the migraines, which seem mechanical in my case.
Also the state of my health has given me health anxiety and the CBT they chucked me off (too many migraines) was no help at all.

Good luck though, it can be very helpful

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:01 am

Good Luck, Dan. I think any type of introspection is good, whether it helps with the M or not.

I moved away from my home town when I was 18 and completely redefined myself. I like who I became. Yet, it's good to remember where we came from.

Recently I spent time with my best friend from Jr. High and High School. I was complaining about not being appreciated by family, friends, blah blah blah. I said I like to do things for people because I like to be in charge. She looked at me and "No. You do things for people so you will be needed and so that you will feel worthy of peoples love". Her insight made me cry...She knew where I came from.

I don't dwell on my childhood, I believe it is up to me to make changes in my life, not to blame others. Yet, hearing someone's perspective on ME, was rather eye opening....

I think you're making a good step. It's certainly not going to hurt anything.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Psychological Component to Migraines Empty and the cure is... holiday everyday!

Post  clairey Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:13 am

hi dan
Like lots of other people have suggested, counselling will help in some way, even if not with your migraines.
I recently had the experience of going on a wonderful 3 week snowboarding road trip with my super duper boyfriend. I did everything 'wrong' in terms of triggers for my migraines - bumped my head riding, drank alcohol, didn't eat regularly, weird schedule of sleep, didn't drink enough water and sitting in a bad position driving for hours a day. Anyone of these could tip me towards a migraine normally. But on that holiday I didn't get one headache or migraine. I think I was just so happy and enjoying myself that I was resistant to them. So... I'm trying to say if you can make your life a bit more of a holiday then hopefully you'll be a bit more resilient to the ominous migraine.
As a side note. I think that chinese medicine consider anger a liver emotion and headaches/migraines are associated with the liver in TCM. I'm no expert but you could look into this one day if you were curious. Traditional Chinese Medicine might provide a perspective you hadn't thought of.
Best of luck with everything ahead of you.

clairey

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:41 am

I am a strong proponent for counselling. Even if it doesn't get rid of the migraine attacks, it helps you deal with life better. That reduces stress, which is a huge trigger.

I was in therapy for 4 years and it was the best thing I ever did. I still have migraines but I completely redefined myself and got rid of some horrible baggage that I did not even realize I had been carrying around. Some repressed memories came up for me and if I had not had a safe place to deal with them, I would have died. I credit my therapists and a lot of hard work on my part to be able to get past all that and learn to live in the now and not be at the effect of my past.

So take this as an opportunity to get your mental health in line and that helps keep the physical part healthier. I hope it goes well and helps you.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:36 am

This has come up on our Migraine Action site.
I thought it might be of interest.

http://www.migraine.org.uk/index.php?sectionid=1191

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:24 am

Thank you for the link. I'm going to browse the entire site; it looks interesting.
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:37 am

Dan. Migraine Action is our main support charity here along with Migraine Trust.
They have just re done their web page, looking good.: http://www.migrainetrust.org/

Everyone on this forum would possibly find both the sites interesting.
Regardless of which side of the pond, the info is good.

They both have FB pages as well and are this week promoting Migraine Awareness Week.
They do try hard for us.

I hope you find something there Dan.

pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:22 pm

Pen,

I checked out the link and found the information and more very informative. In fact, I think I will join and order the paper on migraine for those that have problems with employment. Finally someone has labeled this pain a disease. Here in the USA, I think the powers that be are afraid to label this as a disease and certainly do not acknowledge it as one of the 20 most dibillitating on the UN's list.

Both of my daughters have migraines and I called the oldest one with the info. I have yet to hear what she thought of it.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:49 pm

Hi Hal,

I am so glad you found something of interest there. Was the Migraine Action or Migraine Trust.
They do their own thing and I am a member of both.

I hope there is something to help your daughters too.

pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:38 pm

Pen,

I think it was Migraine Action. My daughter has not had time to look yet. It was a very busy day at the hospital. She said she had to do alot of hand holding today so the doctors could make it without collapsing after the long weekend. Laughing It was a holiday weekend, three days off.

Hal

Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down