migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anesthesia and Migraines

+3
xmom
tecky
Olee
7 posters

Go down

Anesthesia and Migraines Empty Anesthesia and Migraines

Post  Olee Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:29 am

After having day surgery this week for a hernia, I wondered if anyone had experienced migraines which they attributed to anesthesia. Anesthesia can have some affects that last for days, nausea,dizziness,headaches etc. I woke up from surgery with a splitting migraine even with all of the drugs in my system. The nurse in recovery was giving me morphine to ease the pain in my stomach area, but the migraine wasn't getting any better. It wasn't until after I went home and started on the oxycodones and went to sleep for 5 hours that it finally subsided. The migraines revisited along with the abdominal pain numerous times this week, but I suppose the pain meds kept everything at bay, along with my private nurse,the lovely wife. I laid in bed last night listening to the neighbors home grown fire works show from 12-1AM, with my head about to explode and my stomach aching to no end. I feel much better today though, now that I'm not feeling the affects of the anesthesia, it's only the surgical pain I'm left with, woohoo!
Olee
Olee

Back to top Go down

Anesthesia and Migraines Empty Re: Anesthesia and Migraines

Post  tecky Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:23 am

I'm glad your head is feeling better today, Olee. The migraines I've had after anesthesia/surgery have been some of the worst.

Neighbors had fireworks here, too, last night. Wasn't pleasant.

Happy New Year,

Becky
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  xmom Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:17 pm

Yes, my absolute worst migraine ever was after gall bladder surgery. I was on morphine, but it didn't touch my migraine. Finally went away after I begged them for IV imitrex. Never want to go through that again! My mom has also experienced killer migraines from general anesthesia.

xmom

Back to top Go down

Anesthesia and Migraines Empty anesteshia & M

Post  rileyoday Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:34 am

I will avoid surguery as the M sounds wicked. I was down and out with M at 630 pm when the neighbors would light one pack of firecrackers every half hour for 2 hours,

Then when Im awake at midnight nothing at all.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:34 am

Hi All,

For some reason, anesthesia usually helps my head. I guess everyone responds differently. So Sorry you had surgery- but glad you are recovering. I hope the head gets better soon.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Anesthesia and Migraines Empty anesthesia

Post  crt Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:52 am

Me too. The times I have been in the hospital for surgeries were the best - head pain wise. Of course the parts that got operated on hurt like crazy but my head was great. We're all so different. I am apparently one of those people who tolerates anesthesia very well. Good thing since 3 of my surgeries were emergency ones!

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  MaryAnneLive Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:24 pm

Anesthesia always gives me a rotten migraine. The worst was waking up after sinus surgery. I was pretty sure I was going to die Smile I have started keeping my maxalt or other triptan in my personal stuff and requesting it right after I wake up. I asked for one after a surgery in a big hospital only to find that the pharmacy didn't carry it.

I hope it gets better and stays better. How are you healing from the surgery?

Mary Anne
MaryAnneLive
MaryAnneLive

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down