migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy days!

+6
Cathy
30yrsofheadache
Paradox
pen
HeelerLady
Johnfd
10 posters

Go down

Happy days! Empty Happy days!

Post  Johnfd Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:10 pm

I haven't posted much lately as I've been having a really bad time. The bad migraine days have been more frequent and I'm having dizzy spells now as well. I did get turned down for ESA (incapacity benefit) and am having to appeal.
Work look like they will finally give me the push as well. On the positive side, I've now been referred to a headache clinic in England and the appointment should come soon.

My eldest daughter was married on Saturday and I survived the whole day as the proud father, walked her down the aisle, made my speech and everything. I stayed around for the disco with all that noise and the flashing lights and was pretty much ok. I just went outside for air for a while. I didn't risk dancing or drinking. Alcohol is a no-no for me due to migraines and medication and dancing is dangerous as someone is likely to get hurt! It was my birthday yesterday and I was ok again.

I had been a bit naughty. I had stockpiled triptans and took 2 on Thursday night, 2 hours apart, in the hope that I wouldn't wake up with a 3-day jobby the following morning. I did the same on the Friday night. Whether that actually did the trick or not, I don't know, but the day went well. I took just 1 after the wedding in the early hours of Sunday morning as all my relatives were here from the other side of the country and I wanted to spend time with them that day. I was ok-ish.

I hadn't cleared taking the triptans with my doctor as I was going to do it anyway. My wife knew what I had done so, if I did become ill, at least someone would know what I'd done. I had read about this as a short term strategy somewhere and, as I don't have any bad side effects from triptans, I felt that the ends justified the means.

I was really ill on Monday, though, and thought this could be pay-back for all those triptans in 3 days but it only lasted 24 hours which is good-going for me. So, I was ok on Tuesday for my birthday as well!

Back to the old ways today. Felt like cr@p all day!

As I say, Happy days!
Johnfd
Johnfd

Back to top Go down

Happy days! Empty Re: Happy days!

Post  HeelerLady Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:34 pm

Glad things went so well for you John. Smile

Sounds like your strategy paid off. I will say that if I push myself through an event, I can guarantee that afterwords I'm going to pay for it. Just the nature of the beast.

Hope you had a happy birthday. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:46 pm

Congratulations to your daughter John, and to you for lasting the day.
My son got married in 2001 and I ended up wearing a dress I really didn't care about because I didn't even think I would get there.

What got me there, was my good friend's Reiki. I too was getting a lot of dizziness, and I realise now that it was anxiety. I think this is where the Reiki came in. It chilled me enough to get me out the door and to the church. Had a few doses of Pain killers (Triptans I was on would have knocked me out), but I made it through. AND amazingly next day got up and went to the hall to help clear up....My only regret now is that I would have enjoyed the run up more and chosen something better to wear.

It sounds as if all in all you did pretty well John. I am sure as far as your daughter is concerned you did her proud.
The Triptan idea seems to have paid off, and as plenty of people take them 2 at a time over several days, I am sure no harm done
Well done John, hope the rot doesn't set in again. Good luck with the benefits, I have never even tried.
I have Fibro and am told even though it is more consistent than migraines, it is still a battle.

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:24 pm

I'm glad you made it through the day! My neuro was good enough to increase my pain meds the month of my sons wedding so I could keep up. It made all the difference in the world.

We do what we gotta do! I was down for almost two weeks afterward but I made it through the day!
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:14 pm

Congrats on your daughter's wedding...hope you have good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnfd Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:33 pm

Sadly I'm dfinitely back to how I was. Been pretty bad since I posted here.

Here's a picture from the wedding.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Me, My wife Janice (who made the wedding dress), my daughter Claire, her new husband Chris, and his parents.
Johnfd
Johnfd

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:39 am

Beautiful picture! I am glad you made it through the festivities. I take triptans daily for at least a week every month, so I think you are OK with what you did. I wouldnt hesitate to do that if I had to get through something that important. Your wife did a great job on the dress. I am all thumbs when it comes to sewing. Cant even do a hem which is a big problem for me at 4'11". Sorry to hear you are back to being miserable. I am right there with you.
Hugs,
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:51 am

Lovely picture John. And it looks as if the rain stayed away, unlike the last few days.
Did the weather help you do you think?

Sorry you are back to the bad, me too. I managed 6 days of no Triptans, but had to hit the OTC in between.
Actually one way or another its been lousy since last November.....hard to blame the weather, that's there every day....

Hope you get another break John...

Sad
Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:58 am

John - Congrats on your daughter's marriage and so glad you could make it. I know that the odds can work against us for special occasions. The bridal dress is perfect and the church is the ideal backdrop for pictures. It's worth it to stockpile meds so not to miss a special occasion and then at least we have those memories while we're at home with our heads packed in ice!
-Cathy

Cathy

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:33 pm

Hearty congratulations to all! How very english you all look to me - absolutely charming.

One day at a time my friend. Job and disability benefits - it will work out. the very POINT of life is love ... and your cup runneth over from the looks of that photograph!
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnfd Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:04 am

I am a very lucky man although sometimes it is all too easy to forget.
Johnfd
Johnfd

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:32 pm

Congratulations, John! What a lovely picture. flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Happy days! Empty wedding

Post  dawn.binks Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:19 am

wonderful you got to enjoy your daughters wedding and your birthday. the picture is beautiful and the dress sooo elegant!
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:06 am

Thanks for posting the picture John! cheers
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:02 pm

Great picture (handsome family). I have taken abortives (triptans) before stressful events. They have worked every time. I actually got this idea from a doctor. I keep forgetting what they call it. But there is actually a term for it. I doubt if your pain now is from taking the triptans. It might be an after the fact (stress) cause (I can endure some pretty heavy stress and get the migraine later), but that isn't to say I wouldn't have gotten the migraine anyway though since I get 2-3 a week. All I know is they can be a life saver when you have plans you don't want to miss. Glad you were able to enjoy the wedding!

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down