migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

finally- some help with fainting- good dr visit

+13
MaryAnneLive
ajr
30yrsofheadache
Richard
Paradox
VickiG
Hal
Anna's Mom
tecky
marion
HeelerLady
Sara79
sailingmuffin
17 posters

Go down

finally- some help with fainting- good dr visit Empty finally- some help with fainting- good dr visit

Post  sailingmuffin Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:14 pm

Hi All,

Ok, I know this is a little off- topic, but I think I finally found a doctor who can help me with the whole fainting problem.

She is a cardiologist who specializes in dysautonomia, and who is only about an hour and half away. She did a tilt table as well as an echo. The tilt did show clear neurocardiogenic syncope. The next step is to try bystolic, a beta blocker, to see if we can get the increased heart rate down. I am also going to try klonopin because of its effects on the brain. I am going to remain on zoloft, Tylenol 3, and taper down zanaflex. I will continue with the increased salt, gatorade, and excercise. She also told me to avoid caffeine for a while and see if it make a difference. If this doesn't work, she does have some other ideas. Regardless, I am glad I have a doctor who seems to know about this and is willing to help. I guess sometimes it takes searching.

The headache is horrendous right now- probably from travel and such. I just had to share.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

finally- some help with fainting- good dr visit Empty Re: finally- some help with fainting- good dr visit

Post  Sara79 Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:35 pm

I'm so happy for you, I know you've been struggling with this for way too long, and its so good to hear you with hope about things, Klonipin really helps me with flight anxiety, and it can help my tension migraines. Please keep us in the loop about how things are going.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

finally- some help with fainting- good dr visit Empty Re: finally- some help with fainting- good dr visit

Post  HeelerLady Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:18 pm

SM - glad things are finally looking up for you. Smile Great news. Hopefully this will improve your life in so many ways. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:22 pm

Great to hear Sailing.

Finding "THE" doctor who wants to get to the bottom of things seems to be such a key.

How is the progress with wheel chair and puppy dog?
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:08 pm

Good news!!!!! cheers Keep us posted. flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:28 pm

Good news!

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:49 pm

Really happy for you SM. It would be so good if you could find something to alleviate those fainting spells. Do keep us posted as to your progress. Praying for you SM.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:51 pm

Good news! I'm really happy you found someone who will work with you!
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:35 am

Finally sounds like you have someone that will listen to you, Muffin. Yay!
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:33 pm

Very, VERY, happy for you!
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:43 am

Sailing, That is great news! I hope this Dr. turns out to be just what you needed.
Hugs,
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  ajr Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:17 am

I'm so happy you found a doctor who will listen and try things for you! Here's hoping you start feeling better soon. cheers
ajr
ajr

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:39 am

sailing,

that's good news. this cardiologist is following basic treatment for syncope. which means there isn't some esoteric way outside of some of the basic tried and true methodology for treating syncope.

the syncope is CNS based, but does have an inpact on the heart's rhythm. that's good--and it's not your heart causing the problems.

betas help control rhythm and klonopin helps chill out the CNS. i've been on this regimen for going on 7 years. it works for me.

how long are they going to keep the reveal in?

Back to top Go down

Post  MaryAnneLive Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:17 am

Yay! Isn't it wonderful when you find a Dr. that actually helps! I hope the treatment is successful!

Mary Anne
MaryAnneLive
MaryAnneLive

Back to top Go down

Post  LizzieB Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:49 pm

Oh that's good news SM - I'm so pleased for you and hope things will start to improve soon Smile

Liz
LizzieB
LizzieB

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:09 pm

Fantastic news, SM! You have struggled for so long and definitely deserve to have some answers and solutions. Please keep us posted on your success.

£eslie
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:28 pm

I'm so glad you found someone who can help. I hope you het results fast.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:45 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the outpouring of good wishes- keep it up. All I can say is, and while saying it, I am knocking on wood, praying, and hoping, so far, so good. The bystolic (beta blocker} seems to be helping some. It is not taking theem away completely, but it is giving me some time to get to the floor or get to a chair and has reduced them a bit. So, I can only hope this trend continues. Also still doing gatorade, excercise, and salt. I am also stopping caffeine and decreasing sugar. We sghall see how things go.

She did say that she did not want me in a wheelchair unless it was necessary because it would be easy to get deconditioned. She did not think a service dog would be helpful, so I am thinking on that. Right now, we shall see how things go.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:10 pm

Isn't it strange how salt can be great for one person and poison for the next. My brother has addison's and as a result buys salt in bulk. Watching him pour it (no sprinkling involved for him) on to a beautiful meal is almost sacrilege.

Good to hear the fainting is slowing down and I can see her point of view about muscle condition. You will just have to perceiver with the padding.

Hope everything keeps on improving.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:29 am

SM,

With all of the exercise you are doing, I would expect to see your picture on the front of Muscle magazine soon.

As for the dog, sometimes those dogs can be trained to detect when you might faint and let you know. Check it out.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  WitsEnd Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:30 pm

Light at the end of the tunnel at last. Very Happy

Fingers crossed it goes well for you. You more than deserve a break!!
WitsEnd
WitsEnd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down